Le Tour!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Le Tour!

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Plus he's a bit mental..
Attachments
Peter-Sagan_GI_2524093b.jpg
Peter-Sagan_GI_2524093b.jpg (103.51 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Gutted about today's result. As good as OPQS leadout was yesterday, it was shite today. No idea why they took it on driving on the front from 10km out. Burned everyone out leaving Cav to fend for himself in the last 2km. Perfect from Lotto on the other hand.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 pm

jimbo wrote:Gutted about today's result. As good as OPQS leadout was yesterday, it was shite today. No idea why they took it on driving on the front from 10km out. Burned everyone out leaving Cav to fend for himself in the last 2km. Perfect from Lotto on the other hand.
For a flat stage it wasn't that bad today. Any day that Cav loses a sprint is always a good day. Tomorrow the field will start to spread, and saturday we will get an idea on who the real contenders for this race might be. Froome looked to be waiting for Wiggins to catch up in last years mountain stages, and so far looks ready to go again He was picked to take over the no.1 rider for his team earlier this season even, before Wiggins had to pull out, so it should be interesting. Canada's hope is only a second off the pace, and considering he broke a rib a few days ago not bad, but can't see how he will hold up in the mountains. Nibali isn't racing the TDF this year which is a shame because I think a Nibali/Froome race would have been great to watch.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:48 pm

seanworth wrote:
jimbo wrote:Gutted about today's result. As good as OPQS leadout was yesterday, it was shite today. No idea why they took it on driving on the front from 10km out. Burned everyone out leaving Cav to fend for himself in the last 2km. Perfect from Lotto on the other hand.
For a flat stage it wasn't that bad today. Any day that Cav loses a sprint is always a good day. Tomorrow the field will start to spread, and saturday we will get an idea on who the real contenders for this race might be. Froome looked to be waiting for Wiggins to catch up in last years mountain stages, and so far looks ready to go again He was picked to take over the no.1 rider for his team earlier this season even, before Wiggins had to pull out, so it should be interesting. Canada's hope is only a second off the pace, and considering he broke a rib a few days ago not bad, but can't see how he will hold up in the mountains. Nibali isn't racing the TDF this year which is a shame because I think a Nibali/Froome race would have been great to watch.
Not a fan of Cav?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 pm

I absolutely love Cav. One of my favourite sportsmen and always has been. Hate to see him lose! How anyone could prefer Greipel's ugly style is beyond me.

Can't see Hesjedal getting close really. I know the Giro is hard to judge him by given his illness there but just think there'll be other riders much stronger. Don't think people are giving Contador enough attention. Really like the look of his team around him. Mick Rogers is one of the best road captains out there, which Sky lack. In Roche and Kreuziger they have great support in the mountains as well. He should give Froome a very close run.

Still don't get OPQS tactics today though. Shame

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Not a fan of Cav?
Let's put it this way. If you weren't English you wouldn't even be asking me that question. A great Sprinter? Yes there is no denying that. As a person he is closer to Lance.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:35 am

This is not a sport I truly understand. I know the yellow jersey goes to the leader. I noticed a Canadian, Sagan, has the green jersey. Wtf is that and should I be thrilled?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:40 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:This is not a sport I truly understand. I know the yellow jersey goes to the leader. I noticed a Canadian, Sagan, has the green jersey. Wtf is that and should I be thrilled?
He's Slovakian! The point are given to first over the line, plus intermediate sprints. The sprinters are usually crap climbers so their overall time isn't near the Yellow Jersey.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 am

They were probably knackered from Stage 5?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

If they were tired then why put the hammer down from so far out? :conf:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:33 pm

seanworth wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Not a fan of Cav?
Let's put it this way. If you weren't English you wouldn't even be asking me that question. A great Sprinter? Yes there is no denying that. As a person he is closer to Lance.
:conf:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:This is not a sport I truly understand. I know the yellow jersey goes to the leader. I noticed a Canadian, Sagan, has the green jersey. Wtf is that and should I be thrilled?
He's Slovakian! The point are given to first over the line, plus intermediate sprints. The sprinters are usually crap climbers so their overall time isn't near the Yellow Jersey.
Thanks. :oops: It looked like a Maple Leaf flag next to his name - must have been Slovakia's (clearly I know nothing of the sport!).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Sagan rides for canondale. That's what the '(Can)' after his name refers to rather than his nationality. Awesome performance by his boys today though, and that is why Sagan will win green for many years to come

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Not a fan of Cav?
:conf:
Sorry it comes across as confusing. To me Cavendish comes across as an arrogant insincere self absorbed nice person of the highest order. Now to become a great sprinter one probably needs to possess some of those attributes, but I have never been a fan of the sprinters and while I can admire his accomplishments, I don't see why I need to admire him personally. Now if I was English, I could possibly overlook those character flaws and focus entirely on his accomplishments.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 pm

jimbo wrote:Sagan rides for canondale. That's what the '(Can)' after his name refers to rather than his nationality. Awesome performance by his boys today though, and that is why Sagan will win green for many years to come
Aah you beat me to it. I was too absorbed having my prima donna moment obsessing on why I don't like Cav to respond to Monty's question.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:37 pm

To be honest Cav doesn't come across as particularly arrogant. He calls himself the fastest man on 2 wheels, but he is. He seems well liked in the peloton, team mates all respect him and enjoy working for him and after a win the first thing he does is pay tribute to them. David millar's book has some good insight into both Cav and wiggins with them being ex teammates.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:43 pm

seanworth wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
seanworth wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Not a fan of Cav?

Sorry it comes across as confusing. To me Cavendish comes across as an arrogant insincere self absorbed tw*t of the highest order. Now to become a great sprinter one probably needs to possess some of those attributes, but I have never been a fan of the sprinters and while I can admire his accomplishments, I don't see why I need to admire him personally. Now if I was English, I could possibly overlook those character flaws and focus entirely on his accomplishments.
By that token then, I should love Wiggins? I think he's an absolute bellend.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 pm

seanworth wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Not a fan of Cav?
Let's put it this way. If you weren't English you wouldn't even be asking me that question. A great Sprinter? Yes there is no denying that. As a person he is closer to Lance.[/quote]

As a person, he's a quiet, introspective guy, who loves his partner & daughter. He's fiercely proud of his manx roots and if you are his friend, you are a friend for life. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and wears his heart on his sleeve sometimes, particularly when winning. As with all gifted people, there is an ego, without it they wouldn't prosper as they do. But once the inteviews are done, he's back to Cav. He is nothing, and I mean nothing near the 'person' or 'personality' which is Lance Armstrong.
As well as the above, he's the greatest road sprinter the sport has ever seen.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 pm

O.k. I shall leave St. Cav alone. Looking forward to tomorrow's race as it is the first real stage for this year's TDF.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Brilliant ride by Froome and Team Sky today......