Unpaid Internships

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Unpaid Internships

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Pedant alert:

KPMG...

;-)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:Pedant alert:

KPMG...

;-)
I knew that! Fixed it.

RealLifeHobbit
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RealLifeHobbit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 am

Beefheart wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Athers wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote: As my third year at uni, we're required to do a year's placement.
That's what I did and thankfully they invited me back to apply for the grad scheme of the same company, of course by then you know exactly what to do in the assessment centre.

I had to live in a right shithole in East London on £15k and it was a real struggle financially and personally at times, not to mention that when you return to uni all your mates have cleared off, but means to an end and all that - no Super Noodles for tea now.
Something similar for me, the degree programme I'm on is partnered with one of the Big 4 accounting firms, so in a 4 year course, you do 18 months paid work placements, and provided you do well enough academically, including sitting some of your professional exams while still at uni, and get good feedback at work then there you're essentially guaranteed to be offered a job with them upon graduation. This also means a lot of my mates at uni are on the same course, so are working when I am, and at uni when I am so when I returned for my 4th year this year, I still knew people, and had the money to enjoy uni. Most of the opportunities do seem to be in London, although when I start as a graduate in September I've been lucky enough to secure a transfer to the Manchester office. Didn't seem like a big deal when I first applied to this about 4 or 5 years ago, but it's all worked out pretty well looking at some of my mates who have graduated and are struggling to find work.
Is that the EY degree at Lancaster by any chance?
Yes, it is. PWC have one similar at Newcastle, and KPMG just started theirs at Durham I think. I guess Deloitte can't be too far off launching one either. The KPMG one is interesting in that they seem to pay tuition fees but you seem to be tied into a contract with them for 6 years, not great if you find out you don't like it!
Excellent, I do the BBA at Lancaster. Yes, it's an easy way for them to poach talent from universities without all the usual hassle, quite an innovative approach.

Do you have Dermot for any of your lectures?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:55 am

I had a couple of flatmates in first year doing the BBA, can't say I know what it is exactly. Nah, never had this Dermot guy. Is he any good? I don't have much time for these academics, I just wan't my piece of paper and to get out of there. I love Lancaster though, was told it was a shit night out before I got there, disappointed with myself though, only managed 8/10 Carletons last term.

RealLifeHobbit
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RealLifeHobbit » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:40 am

Beefheart wrote:I had a couple of flatmates in first year doing the BBA, can't say I know what it is exactly. Nah, never had this Dermot guy. Is he any good? I don't have much time for these academics, I just wan't my piece of paper and to get out of there. I love Lancaster though, was told it was a shit night out before I got there, disappointed with myself though, only managed 8/10 Carletons last term.
BBA is like a pre-cursor to the MBA, just a jack-of-all-trades introduction to management. We have to do at least one course in AcF, HR, general management theory, statistics, operations, management science, consulting, etc.

Dermot's great, lovely guy; just does Accounting 101 I think for financial accounting.

In my two years at Lancaster I only did the Carleton twice; one per year. I'm a bit of a clubbing lightweight, the enormous selection of pubs serving real ale kept me busy :P

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am

Beefheart wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Athers wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote: As my third year at uni, we're required to do a year's placement.
That's what I did and thankfully they invited me back to apply for the grad scheme of the same company, of course by then you know exactly what to do in the assessment centre.

I had to live in a right shithole in East London on £15k and it was a real struggle financially and personally at times, not to mention that when you return to uni all your mates have cleared off, but means to an end and all that - no Super Noodles for tea now.
Something similar for me, the degree programme I'm on is partnered with one of the Big 4 accounting firms, so in a 4 year course, you do 18 months paid work placements, and provided you do well enough academically, including sitting some of your professional exams while still at uni, and get good feedback at work then there you're essentially guaranteed to be offered a job with them upon graduation. This also means a lot of my mates at uni are on the same course, so are working when I am, and at uni when I am so when I returned for my 4th year this year, I still knew people, and had the money to enjoy uni. Most of the opportunities do seem to be in London, although when I start as a graduate in September I've been lucky enough to secure a transfer to the Manchester office. Didn't seem like a big deal when I first applied to this about 4 or 5 years ago, but it's all worked out pretty well looking at some of my mates who have graduated and are struggling to find work.
Is that the EY degree at Lancaster by any chance?
Yes, it is. PWC have one similar at Newcastle, and KPMG just started theirs at Durham I think. I guess Deloitte can't be too far off launching one either. The KPMG one is interesting in that they seem to pay tuition fees but you seem to be tied into a contract with them for 6 years, not great if you find out you don't like it!
Yes know someone who did the PWC one at Newcastle, still works for them 4 years after graduating. Great start to a career really if it's what you want to do.

Know someone else in the PWC office in Manchester, they do 'swap desk fridays' apparently :lol:
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 am

RealLifeHobbit wrote:
Beefheart wrote:I had a couple of flatmates in first year doing the BBA, can't say I know what it is exactly. Nah, never had this Dermot guy. Is he any good? I don't have much time for these academics, I just wan't my piece of paper and to get out of there. I love Lancaster though, was told it was a shit night out before I got there, disappointed with myself though, only managed 8/10 Carletons last term.
BBA is like a pre-cursor to the MBA, just a jack-of-all-trades introduction to management. We have to do at least one course in AcF, HR, general management theory, statistics, operations, management science, consulting, etc.

Dermot's great, lovely guy; just does Accounting 101 I think for financial accounting.

In my two years at Lancaster I only did the Carleton twice; one per year. I'm a bit of a clubbing lightweight, the enormous selection of pubs serving real ale kept me busy :P
Fair enough, I think spending time on placement made me appreciate being able to go out on a Wednesday night when I went back to Uni, even if it is to a hole in Morecombe.

Morkal
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Morkal » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 am

Bijou Bob wrote: Hang on....... a solicitor actually PAYING OUT money??? Never gonna happen!!
I think most of the private law firm are now offering attractive salary packages to its new member that just have join the team.So i think they pay the money because in this way both the parties get benefit.
Get lawyer assitance in gold coast
Last edited by Morkal on Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Morkal wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote: Hang on....... a solicitor actually PAYING OUT money??? Never gonna happen!!
I think most of the private law firm are now offering attractive salary packages to its new member that just have join the team.So i think they pay the money because in this way both the parties get benefit.
I guarantee they'll be getting it back one way or another. B4stards the lot of em.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Morkal wrote:
I guarantee they'll be getting it back one way or another. B4stards the lot of em.
Haaa. Ha. ha, ha.

New recruits at law firms would be better off working at Nando's.

The lucky ones will progress, and very nicely, but there are a surfeit of law graduates from all sorts of numpty colleges these days and the newbies get paid pretty poorly.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
Morkal wrote:
Haaa. Ha. ha, ha.

New recruits at law firms would be better off working at Nando's.

The lucky ones will progress, and very nicely, but there are a surfeit of law graduates from all sorts of numpty colleges these days and the newbies get paid pretty poorly.
Curiously the surplus hasn't really driven the starting salaries down, even in real terms.

It's just that there is a bigger surplus not getting training contracts.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 pm

I think you deal on a higher plain, PB.

Out in the sticks even the good ones, who DO get contracts, are starting on pretty poor rates.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Actually, that is just the international firms in London I am talking about. I have no idea what the postion for regional and high street firms is.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I think you deal on a higher plain, PB.

Out in the sticks even the good ones, who DO get contracts, are starting on pretty poor rates.
boondocks, dear clown, boondocks. For lawlerly talk one must employ grishamisms.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Actually, that is just the international firms in London I am talking about. I have no idea what the postion for regional and high street firms is.
... as I said :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Actually, that is just the international firms in London I am talking about. I have no idea what the postion for regional and high street firms is.
... as I said :wink:
Ah yes, I see we crossed posts and I anticipated your next comment.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:10 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I think you deal on a higher plain, PB.

:laugh: Must be in the Steppes. Sorry, Bobo, couldn't resist.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:59 am

Good to see management consultancy as a growth industry.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.