Bands you don't "get".

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bands you don't "get".

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:I take it back Blur are not halve bad but again they are not a "great" band.
Oasis are/were better......
If we can go back to the OP and the point of not 'getting' rather than simply not 'liking', and on the subject of Blur, although I've never liked it either, I sure as shit never 'got' Song Two. I've never understood its utter admiration by some. There used to be an absolute clamour towards the dancefloor whenever it came on down the old indie disco's, and I'd be stood there shrugging my shoulders before utilising the opportunity to go to the bar.
I thought there were some excellent tracks from both bands (Not sure most of Blur's were released as singles). Song 2 - Utter dogwank, Parklife not much better.

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Sorry to go off topic but anyone like the La's? I f*cking love that band. Only did one album in 1990 but it was a pure guitar-pop masterpiece

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57 pm

thebish wrote:Gilbert and Sullivan

and - for that matter - Gilbert O'Sullivan...
I don't think G & S can be called a band exactly, even if some of G's lyrics are backed by an orchestra. I wouldn't call the NY Philharmonic presenting Luigi Dallapiccola's “Il Prigioniero” this summer a band. Would you?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I don't think G & S can be called a band exactly, even if some of G's lyrics are backed by an orchestra. I wouldn't call the NY Philharmonic presenting Luigi Dallapiccola's “Il Prigioniero” this summer a band. Would you?
I apologise deeply.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:40 am

Seeing as bish has deviated away from bands and already ruined the thread I'll add Michael Jackson into the mixer.
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:44 am

CrazyHorse wrote:Seeing a bish has deviated away from bands and already ruined the thread I'll add Michael Jackson into the mixer.
:lol: I was just about to type that - but Monty scared me off!!!

it might sound a bit OTT and sweeping - but I don't get the modern iterations of "R&B" or the whole hip-hop thang...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

How would you describe a band then. Monty?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:53 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

In the context of this thread (he said cautiously) I would say some 4-6 musicians with a lead singer (and perhaps other vocalists) playing popular music in their time. I saw the Beatles, the Stones and the Dave Clark Five as bands, but not Dylan even though he was backed by The Band. I understand (from Gertie) there are Boy Bands around but I haven't really followed the popular scene for a number of years. I do not think orchestras should be classed as bands in this sense. Classical music and even operetta are not in the category. Just my opinion....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:29 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Ocean Colour Scene.

The Specials (In fact, any of that Ska / Rude Boy / Two-tone stuff).
now you've gone too far!!
Seriously. A feeling that's lasted since around the 2nd year at school. Read also - Reggae.
I hope you're not including UB40 in your preposterous opinion!! :wink:

there's a rat in mi kitchen, what am I gonna do, I'm gonna fix that rat that's what I'm gonna do,
I'm gonna fix that rat. excellent stuff!!!
Whaold on a minute. You don't like the Boss but are trumpeting UB40?

Not having that...they're not even in the same division man!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

In the context of this thread (he said cautiously) I would say some 4-6 musicians with a lead singer (and perhaps other vocalists) playing popular music in their time. I saw the Beatles, the Stones and the Dave Clark Five as bands, but not Dylan even though he was backed by The Band. I understand (from Gertie) there are Boy Bands around but I haven't really followed the popular scene for a number of years. I do not think orchestras should be classed as bands in this sense. Classical music and even operetta are not in the category. Just my opinion....
as i said - I am very very sorry to have spoiled your enjoyment of this thread by my offensively offhand post that mentioned orchestral music.

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:53 pm

The Smiths!
WTF?
Jangle Pop was apparently `invented` by them?
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:50 pm

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

as i said - I am very very sorry to have spoiled your enjoyment of this thread by my offensively offhand post that mentioned orchestral music.
Indeed, I would have expected more from a man of pedigree and have put you on my little list.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Any fckr who thinks he/they need to wear make-up for their music. Kiss would be a leading example.

All that bland "stadium rock" bollox.

Every single 'boy band'.

All that hip-hop, rap and it's ilk.

Now .... some eejit said Jethro Tull. I may call thee a knave and challenge you to a duel ... JCB of your choice at 30 paces.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Porrohman wrote:The Smiths!
WTF?
There are not enough "oh yes's" available in the World to cover this point adequately. Morrisey most especially.

Effete, gladioli weilding, depressive, narcissistic, meat-avoiding tosspot.

There ... now THAT was good to get off my chest.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:04 am

The list would be way too long to even start. Nearly all pop, rap, boy bands, heavy metal bands, girl bands, hip hop, eurotrash etc etc would be a good place to start without having to go into the specifics of singling out any specific groups, oh and Oasis just in case someone overlooked them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:00 am

bobo the clown wrote:
WTF?
There are not enough "oh yes's" available in the World to cover this point adequately. Morrisey most especially.

Though Johnny Marr's work with Modest Mouse was most excellent, and not a single jangle to be heard. ae:)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
WTF?

Though Johnny Marr's work with Modest Mouse was most excellent, and not a single jangle to be heard. ae:)
To be fair, Marr really is a class act. Just a shame he had to mix himself up with that weird git.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Now, admittedly I haven't heard great swathes of their stuff, but from what I have heard I struggle to understand all the fuss surrounding Biffy Clyro. A mate of mine rarely shuts up about them, but then again, he's from Kilmarnock.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Now, admittedly I haven't heard great swathes of their stuff, but from what I have heard I struggle to understand all the fuss surrounding Biffy Clyro. A mate of mine rarely shuts up about them, but then again, he's from Kilmarnock.
saw them live once - as a warm-up act to Muse.. meh!

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Now, admittedly I haven't heard great swathes of their stuff, but from what I have heard I struggle to understand all the fuss surrounding Biffy Clyro. A mate of mine rarely shuts up about them, but then again, he's from Kilmarnock.
The Guardian ae:) described them as "the Del Amitri it's ok to invite to Kerrang" which is a huge diss on Del Amitri if you ask me. :|
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!