N-N-N-N-N-N-N Nineteen.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Re: N-N-N-N-N-N-N Nineteen.....

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Last edited by bwfcdan94 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:53 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Dujon wrote:Belated birthday greetings, Dan. My apologies are hereby tendered for my tardiness.

If I may be presumptuous enough to offer a little advice?

Get yourself a paper dictionary if you can afford one - otherwise beg borrow or steal one. Keep it handy. Every time you come across a word the meaning of which is unclear look it up. You might surprise yourself as to how quickly your vocabulary grows. I'm not being patronising, Dan, as I still do that myself.
I will take the majority of that advice however you should not be encouraging a young person to steal especially as I have a few relatives (extended family thankfully) who have done some serious time and I would like to keep them as examples of what not to be rather than copying, after all crimes like stealing are how it all starts.
"Beg, steal or borrow" is a saying Dan. Dujon wasn't saying go out and steal one. He just meant find a way of getting your hands on one.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:13 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Dujon wrote:Belated birthday greetings, Dan. My apologies are hereby tendered for my tardiness.

Get yourself a paper dictionary if you can afford one - otherwise beg borrow or steal one. Keep it handy. Every time you come across a word the meaning of which is unclear look it up. You might surprise yourself as to how quickly your vocabulary grows. I'm not being patronising, Dan, as I still do that myself.
I will take the majority of that advice however you should not be encouraging a young person to steal especially as I have a few relatives (extended family thankfully) who have done some serious time and I would like to keep them as examples of what not to be rather than copying, after all crimes like stealing are how it all starts.
:doh:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:

"Beg, steal or borrow" is a saying Dan. Dujon wasn't saying go out and steal one. He just meant find a way of getting your hands on one.
Sorry my mistake cannot say I have heard that saying before. Thank you for the advice all together then.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 am

Dan, there is no need to apologise. Truly, there isn't. None of us here (or anywhere else for that matter) knows everything. In a general sense we learn by experience. When it comes to words or phrases or 'sayings' it's no different; if you haven't come across one before you'll find yourself 'all at sea'. I would lay you London to a Brick that if the Monty on this forum swapped places with me (he's in Canada and I'm in Australia) both of us would be continually asking questions as to the meaning of unfamiliar expressions.

My father used to have a favourite saying when discussing things with me and my siblings. "The things that you know and don't know would fill a very large book."

Chin up, my friend, you're better than you think. :smile:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 am

Dujon wrote:Dan, there is no need to apologise. Truly, there isn't. None of us here (or anywhere else for that matter) knows everything. In a general sense we learn by experience. When it comes to words or phrases or 'sayings' it's no different; if you haven't come across one before you'll find yourself 'all at sea'. I would lay you London to a Brick that if the Monty on this forum swapped places with me (he's in Canada and I'm in Australia) both of us would be continually asking questions as to the meaning of unfamiliar expressions.

My father used to have a favourite saying when discussing things with me and my siblings. "The things that you know and don't know would fill a very large book."

Put another shrimp on the barbie then, Dujon.

Actually I discovered today that Salisbury steak is unheard of outside North America.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 am

I have to admit that I am an ignoramus and had to look up 'Salisbury Steak', Monty. At a cursory glance it looks very close to what I use as the base for a shepherd's pie. Whack it into a baking dish, cover with a decent layer of mashed potato and stick it into the oven until it's baked. I haven't banged one up for ages so now you've got me salivating. It's shopping day for me tomorrow so, perhaps, it'll be a Saturday treat. :smile:

Oh, yes: don't come the raw prawn with me, just stick to your maple syrup. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dujon wrote:Dan, there is no need to apologise. Truly, there isn't. None of us here (or anywhere else for that matter) knows everything. In a general sense we learn by experience. When it comes to words or phrases or 'sayings' it's no different; if you haven't come across one before you'll find yourself 'all at sea'. I would lay you London to a Brick that if the Monty on this forum swapped places with me (he's in Canada and I'm in Australia) both of us would be continually asking questions as to the meaning of unfamiliar expressions.

Actually I discovered today that Salisbury steak is unheard of outside North America.
I looked Salisbury steak up, Monty. Bit of a misnomer really given that it's actually a glorified burger rather than a cut of meat. :?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 am

Ah, my good wife (my bad wife is elsewhere) has arrived home. Yes, we are going to have our home made "hamburgers" as our evening meal. Now, I have no idea as to what constitutes a hamburger at your pad but at mine it's a bread roll sliced horizontally which is then clamped around a minced meat 'patty' with onion, beetroot, lettuce, fried egg, tomato, cucumber and anything else that will fit.

I'm being called. Cheers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 am

Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Dujon, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I looked Salisbury steak up, Monty. Bit of a misnomer really given that it's actually a glorified burger rather than a cut of meat. :?
True and named after a person. But my connection was types of steak not cuts of meat. I also discovered the difference between hamburger steak and Salisbury steak - hamburger steak is all beef while Salisbury steak can contain up to 25 percent of pork. Live and learn. Sorry for the US-centric clue - I thought they were ubiquitous.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: True and named after a person. But my connection was types of steak not cuts of meat. I also discovered the difference between hamburger steak and Salisbury steak - hamburger steak is all beef while Salisbury steak can contain up to 25 percent of pork. Live and learn. Sorry for the US-centric clue - I thought they were ubiquitous.
I think they get called grillsteaks over here, Monty. I know that Birds Eye produce something similar but I've no idea what goes into them (which is perhaps for the best ;) ).

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

True and named after a person. But my connection was types of steak not cuts of meat. I also discovered the difference between hamburger steak and Salisbury steak - hamburger steak is all beef while Salisbury steak can contain up to 25 percent of pork. Live and learn. Sorry for the US-centric clue - I thought they were ubiquitous.
Not in Tesco it isn't

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:16 pm

PC1978 wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Not in Tesco it isn't
Hamburger steak, not hamburgers....

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I know, I was bored. Sorry. :)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:52 pm

PC1978 wrote:I know, I was bored. Sorry. :)
I hate it when the constabulary gets bored - they start looking for tiny infractions (failing to abate a smoking chimney) instead of chasing the really bad guys...

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
PC1978 wrote:I know, I was bored. Sorry. :)
I hate it when the constabulary gets bored - they start looking for tiny infractions (failing to abate a smoking chimney) instead of chasing the really bad guys...
:D

Its a good job PC are my initials then and not a job indication!

Smoking chimney, serious stuff. Call the RCMP. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Dujon wrote:Ah, my good wife (my bad wife is elsewhere) has arrived home. Yes, we are going to have our home made "hamburgers" as our evening meal. Now, I have no idea as to what constitutes a hamburger at your pad but at mine it's a bread roll sliced horizontally which is then clamped around a minced meat 'patty' with onion, beetroot, lettuce, fried egg, tomato, cucumber and anything else that will fit.

I'm being called. Cheers.
Sounds delicious Dujon, but the beetroot strikes a discordant note. Love the stuff, but not near a fried egg mate. The rest, top notch. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Um you have lost me again with another one of your sayings. However I am pleased to say that I knew to some extent what a Salisbury steak was to the extent that I thought it was not to dissimilar to a burger.

Thank you for the complement, I always have had a problem where I apologize for everything even the extent wehere I would get into my head that everything was my fault.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:02 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:

Um you have lost me again with another one of your sayings. However I am pleased to say that I knew to some extent what a Salisbury steak was to the extent that I thought it was not to dissimilar to a burger.

Thank you for the complement, I always have had a problem where I apologize for everything even the extent wehere I would get into my head that everything was my fault.
The saying is an Australian variant (an unfamiliar to me) equivalent to wagering all of Lombard Street to a china orange. It means his point is a virtual certainty since he would wager something very valuable for something virtually worthless - i.e. very weighted odds. The American equivalent would be dollars to donuts (sic).