Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Beefheart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:33 am

Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:if you follow the "rules" all decoration should be down before dusk of the 6th of Jan.

Hey, I don't make them. Don't shoot me.
Or is it the fifth? Big debate there!

I echo Bish's sentiments that wanting Christmas to be at Christmas doesn't make you Scrooge. I fecking love Xmas, especially since u moved away, all the more so because it's a very short, special period. Making it last from November till February waters it down and cheapens it. So ner.

Noddy was wrong. Christmas every day would be rubbish.
Wasn't Noddy who said that! It were Wizzard.

Agree though, nothing Christmassy before 1st December is my own rule. I've even stopped watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia on Netflix because I've got to a Christmas episode.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am

... my first Easter egg of the new season :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:49 am

Beefheart wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:if you follow the "rules" all decoration should be down before dusk of the 6th of Jan.

Hey, I don't make them. Don't shoot me.
Or is it the fifth? Big debate there!

I echo Bish's sentiments that wanting Christmas to be at Christmas doesn't make you Scrooge. I fecking love Xmas, especially since u moved away, all the more so because it's a very short, special period. Making it last from November till February waters it down and cheapens it. So ner.

Noddy was wrong. Christmas every day would be rubbish.

Wasn't Noddy who said that! It were Wizzard.

Agree though, nothing Christmassy before 1st December is my own rule. I've even stopped watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia on Netflix because I've got to a Christmas episode.
D'oh! I've always for those two songs mixed up for some reason!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:00 am

89bwfc89 wrote:Can't go to the xmas markets then come back to an unfestive house!
Well don't go to the Christmas markets yet then?! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:Can't go to the xmas markets then come back to an unfestive house!
Anyone else think that Christmas markets are just a bit crap? At least the one in Manchester, don't think I've ever been to any otherrs.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:10 am

Beefheart wrote:We've always done ours 12 days before until 12 days after. Dunno if that's a proper tradition.
no - not a proper tradition (depending in what you mean by "proper"!) - but a reasonable compromise!

The season of Christmas starts at midnight on 24th/25th December and last for the twelve days of christmas - hence the famous song...

it is preceded by Advent - a time of reflective waiting - and followed by Epiphany...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:13 am

I knew a girl called Epiphany. Very appropriately named I can tell you...
I wonder: if she'd been called Advent would my life have changed for the better? Probably not, all that waiting (reflectively or not) could have damaged my young developing mind...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 am

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:We've always done ours 12 days before until 12 days after. Dunno if that's a proper tradition.
no - not a proper tradition (depending in what you mean by "proper"!) - but a reasonable compromise!

The season of Christmas starts at midnight on 24th/25th December and last for the twelve days of christmas - hence the famous song...

it is preceded by Advent - a time of reflective waiting - and followed by Epiphany...
Or, for some people like my Grandad, on January 7th (6th for others as well I believe).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 am

Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:

Or, for some people like my Grandad, on January 7th (6th for others as well I believe).
yes - pretty much the same thing! depending on how you choose to count 12 days from the 25th december...

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:23 am

It's close of play on t'5th. Anything else is a million years bad luck. Or summat.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:25 am

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:

yes - pretty much the same thing! depending on how you choose to count 12 days from the 25th december...
I mean they celebrate Christmas Day on January 7th.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 am

Beefheart wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Anyone else think that Christmas markets are just a bit crap? At least the one in Manchester, don't think I've ever been to any otherrs.
Yep. Me. Absolute rip-off, and very cheesey too.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 am

Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:

:lol:

Are you Russian Orthodox then?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:33 am

Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
thebish wrote:

ahhh - I see! that'd be the Orthodox tradition... caused by a difference between using Julian and gregorian calendars for working out such things!

technically they still celebrate christmas day on december 25th - but on their calendar... on ours - this looks january 7th...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:36 am

...and which is why the October Revolution isn't. Well it was but now it isn't. Only it is because it is.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:36 am

He's Greek Catholic (but not Greek), but yeah, they're pretty much of the Orthodox tradition.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Our tree is going up on the 7th. I would prefer it the week after but my wife is working all weekend and I'm not doing it on my own.

The tree will be down before the new year. None of that bad luck bollocks in our house.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
It's the only time our group can get together before Christmas.

I'm not sure why I'm sat here justifying this actually!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:04 pm

FFS - I've just read all that shite.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:FFS - I've just read all that shite.
^ wrong thread! :wink: