Checkmate...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Checkmate...

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:17 pm

And i would have gone up 7 if I had won!
Quomodo ceciderunt robusti.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Followed Anand-Carlsen on the app on my phone on holiday!

A few errors by Anand and he's crushed, after that first loss he reacted so badly the next day.
Easy to predict years of Carlsen domination but then we never know who is coming through. Certainly could be a kind of Federer domination where he has raised the level and we have to wait until the challengers arrive.

On another note I can feel my interest in the game growing back, to the point I might buy the latest copy of Fritz for £20 or start playing online again. My mum paid £90 for Fritz 5 back in the day :lol:
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Athers wrote:Followed Anand-Carlsen on the app on my phone on holiday!

A few errors by Anand and he's crushed, after that first loss he reacted so badly the next day.
Easy to predict years of Carlsen domination but then we never know who is coming through. Certainly could be a kind of Federer domination where he has raised the level and we have to wait until the challengers arrive.

On another note I can feel my interest in the game growing back, to the point I might buy the latest copy of Fritz for £20 or start playing online again. My mum paid £90 for Fritz 5 back in the day :lol:
Go on line at chess.com and face the TW denizens!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 am

Spotty resigned, again, I've just beaten Dan. Getting toward the end with Jakerbeef.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:41 am

I'm thinking of giving the 'live game' a go. Has anybody tried it, what are the options? can you choose for example a minute a move, or are the match lengths fixed?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:Spotty resigned, again, I've just beaten Dan. Getting toward the end with Jakerbeef.
And you've ignored my challenge to give you a chance to get even...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm thinking of giving the 'live game' a go. Has anybody tried it, what are the options? can you choose for example a minute a move, or are the match lengths fixed?
I haven't played live chess for forty years and never with a clock. However, I assume matches are based on x moves per hour and the clocks set accordingly. Some moves take more thought than others. I expect opens get played like lightning until one leaves the books and then things slow down a bit.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Live games can be whatever you choose - 1 minute, 3 minute, 10 minute + increment, 15|10, 30, an hour...whatever. Either search for a challenge or issue one yourself with your preferred time controls, and bob's your uncle.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Online I bet you can set any time limit you like?

Usually in person it's either
- 30 minutes each for all moves (6 games in a day tournament)
- 40 moves in 90 minutes each, followed by adding 15-30 minutes each for the rest of the game. (5 games across a weekend tournament)
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Yeah pretty much, though people tend to opt for the one's that chess.com put as macro buttons. Theoretically you can have any length of game.

Got my first OTB tournament this weekend in teh latter format you posted, athers (though it's 80mins with 10sec increment). Looking forward to it.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Oooh electronic clocks, they didn't have those in my day!

Always a moral dilemma when you notice your clock had stopped ticking but needed more time to think.

What grade limit is the section you're entering? Good luck!

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Amazing what the 21st century brings :)

under 120, so not high. Just looking forward to seeing what it's like, tbh. I'm doing another one the week after, in an attempt to get a grading by January. Not expecting much - last two weeks i've been shocking and lost some awful games - but at least i'll have a starting point.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:00 pm

The few games I played with an electronic clock were the peaks of my career! Playing with wooden sets rather than plastic had the same awe! :laugh:

Given your victory over that 130 odd you should enter this with confidence! Are you playing Friday night? Total weekend wipeout those ones.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:16 pm

haha, same! our club uses wooden boards for matches, there is something very pleasing about sliding pieces across it :)

well, we'll see. I beat him, then lost in shocking fashion to another guy who i really should have beat (trapped his king in the centre, then decided to just blunder a piece to him...urgh). Then lost again last friday, but he was a 151 so not as awful, but still felt i could've done better. We'll see, anyway.

Nah, just saturday sunday these. Works christmas do is on friday though, so the morning game could be, uh, interesting.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Can tell you're down south. Wooden sets! Bloody hell

I think I only played on the wood a couple of times, the British Championship juniors (and then only a few boards had them) and a match against Wales I played in! Felt like I was Kasparov, but don't remember having positive results. Overawed probably ;)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:00 pm

When (thirty eight years ago) I played in a team, I used to take my own wooden board and wooden Staunton set with me to matches. I've still got it: it just stares across the living room at me now though.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:34 pm

In competition between TW players I have just noticed the two players with the best record - one loss each - are Pru and thebish, not kinty. Sneaky of them to slip under the radar.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:13 pm

that's not summat you'd "just notice" - that's summat you'd have to go and deliberately find out!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:18 pm

thebish wrote:that's not summat you'd "just notice" - that's summat you'd have to go and deliberately find out!
... is someone using any on-line assistance Bish ? I mean ... to be doing that well has my mind a thinking ... could someone who doesn't play very much suddenly become so expert and knowledgeable ?

mmmm

Curious. :?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:that's not summat you'd "just notice" - that's summat you'd have to go and deliberately find out!
... is someone using any on-line assistance Bish ? I mean ... to be doing that well has my mind a thinking ... could someone who doesn't play very much suddenly become so expert and knowledgeable ?

mmmm

Curious. :?

dunno - i guess it's possible - my strategy is simple - only to play kinty once - cos he's clearly better than me - and to play LLS loads of times cos he resigns when he gets frit - and not to play Monty as he is clearly very, very good... (having beaten kinty) i'm also a bit scared of pru cos he's a bit posh - so probably knows what he's doing! also - to quit while I'm ahead - not really having the patience/time to keep it up!