Checkmate...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Checkmate...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:47 pm

^ oi you. I resign when it seems (to me, and me alone it would appear) that not to do so would drag out what was an enjoyable possibly winnable game into a desperate rear Nazi defence of Berlin type scenario - utterly doomed to defeat but slow and tediously painful.

Anyway, 'frit' is it? I'll challenge you, but can we wait till middle of next week? Heavy duty shite come Monday, Tuesday.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ oi you. I resign when it seems (to me, and me alone it would appear) that not to do so would drag out what was an enjoyable possibly winnable game into a desperate rear Nazi defence of Berlin type scenario - utterly doomed to defeat but slow and tediously painful.

Anyway, 'frit' is it? I'll challenge you, but can we wait till middle of next week? Heavy duty shite come Monday, Tuesday.

anytime failsafe CO2 industrial server warmer/cooler/emergency shut-down boy!

i suspect that you often resign because you see stuff your opponent hasn't! you shouldn't give them so much credit!!

(by them - I mean me!)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:08 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ oi you. I resign when it seems (to me, and me alone it would appear) that not to do so would drag out what was an enjoyable possibly winnable game into a desperate rear Nazi defence of Berlin type scenario - utterly doomed to defeat but slow and tediously painful.

anytime failsafe CO2 industrial server warmer/cooler/emergency shut-down boy!

i suspect that you often resign because you see stuff your opponent hasn't! you shouldn't give them so much credit!!

(by them - I mean me!)
I doubt it. I probably am, as you rightly point out, frit. It's probably a frit of losing which is ameliorated a tad by resignation - which gives me hints of grandeur in a Victorian gentleman (exploring the Zambesi) type frisson.
It's I've resigned :) as opposed to I've lost :hang:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:that's not summat you'd "just notice" - that's summat you'd have to go and deliberately find out!
... is someone using any on-line assistance Bish ? I mean ... to be doing that well has my mind a thinking ... could someone who doesn't play very much suddenly become so expert and knowledgeable ?

mmmm

Curious. :?

I don't think one could use computer assistance on chess.com - kinty said it would be detected automatically. I'm not sure who or what Bobo is suspecting, but it seems implausible to me - not, I think, that any of us - even kinty - could claim to be expert and knowledgeable.

As for 'just' noticing - yes and no. I am currently playing Prufrock and his record is displayed - I noticed that his record only had one loss with other TWers. I was about to write that he had the best record in inter-TW play when I thought, to be sure I was correct, I should check the bish as I have never seen his record or played him. Turned out they were tied with only one loss each.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:39 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:that's not summat you'd "just notice" - that's summat you'd have to go and deliberately find out!
... is someone using any on-line assistance Bish ? I mean ... to be doing that well has my mind a thinking ... could someone who doesn't play very much suddenly become so expert and knowledgeable ?

mmmm

Curious. :?

dunno - i guess it's possible - my strategy is simple - only to play kinty once - cos he's clearly better than me - and to play LLS loads of times cos he resigns when he gets frit - and not to play Monty as he is clearly very, very good... (having beaten kinty) i'm also a bit scared of pru cos he's a bit posh - so probably knows what he's doing! also - to quit while I'm ahead - not really having the patience/time to keep it up!

1) I do the same! I've lost to Monty once, and am currently losing again. Beat Dan in a bizarre one, beat Spotty and Jaker twice each in close games, and some random once in a close one. I could have lost most of those. Haven't been seeking out you or Verbs :D.

2) POSH?! :D

In all seriousness, I spent an hour at work this evening waiting for the fecking IT to work pondering what 'posh' means on the back of this, and whether 'class' exists at all any more. [TANGENT ALERT].

Can you 'become' posh, or are you born? If it's the former, I suppose I must be. Privately educated, degree in classics, hopefully career in law, snappy dresser.

I don't think it is though, I think you're born posh or not. I'm braced for 'posh' kids, with lah-di-dah accents, but I don't think I am myself. Certainly not salt-of-the-earth working class, and certainly privileged, but not posh, either. I was the first member of the family to go to Uni (dad went to Bolton school, but on a scholarship, and has a night-school degree; his dad worked in the Pincroft mill). Still very much have an accent, though not as much as I did (a teacher at school later told me, praising my French accent that he didn't have a clue what I was saying when I was younger and he understood me as much then in French as in English!). I certainly don't *feel* posh. I tease the girlf (who went to an all girls boarding school, grew up in Cheshire and then Cheltenham and certainly sounds posh to me) that she is posh, but I don't really think she is either. Her parents were both working class, and their money is all self-made. Very much middle-class, me , I think :D. Anyway, I reckon poshness comes from your parents; you can't become posh yourself, but you might have posh kids. Kinda like freed slaves. Or not. Anyway, existential Friday crisis over, to the pub!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
2) POSH?! :D

In all seriousness, I spent an hour at work this evening waiting for the fecking IT to work pondering what 'posh' means on the back of this, and whether 'class' exists at all any more. [TANGENT ALERT].

Can you 'become' posh, or are you born? If it's the former, I suppose I must be. Privately educated, degree in classics, hopefully career in law, snappy dresser.

I don't think it is though, I think you're born posh or not. I'm braced for 'posh' kids, with lah-di-dah accents, but I don't think I am myself. Certainly not salt-of-the-earth working class, and certainly privileged, but not posh, either. I was the first member of the family to go to Uni (dad went to Bolton school, but on a scholarship, and has a night-school degree; his dad worked in the Pincroft mill). Still very much have an accent, though not as much as I did (a teacher at school later told me, praising my French accent that he didn't have a clue what I was saying when I was younger and he understood me as much then in French as in English!). I certainly don't *feel* posh. I tease the girlf (who went to an all girls boarding school, grew up in Cheshire and then Cheltenham and certainly sounds posh to me) that she is posh, but I don't really think she is either. Her parents were both working class, and their money is all self-made. Very much middle-class, me , I think :D. Anyway, I reckon poshness comes from your parents; you can't become posh yourself, but you might have posh kids. Kinda like freed slaves. Or not. Anyway, existential Friday crisis over, to the pub!
I would have been considered posh. My mother came from a well-to-do background, her father running Townsons, a local construction company. She went to private school in North Wales and finishing school in Belgium. My father had gone to public school and Cambridge, though his family money was lost in the depression. So in turn I went to public school and spoke with what you might call a la-di-da accent (RP= received pronunciation). I left the country when I was 19 and in Canada poshness means nothing much. Still, I had a good education and did well in academe later in life. I think it is a bit silly to use the term posh in a pejorative sense. People are people and should be judged on their actions, not their accent or their background.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Athers wrote:Followed Anand-Carlsen on the app on my phone on holiday!

A few errors by Anand and he's crushed, after that first loss he reacted so badly the next day.
Easy to predict years of Carlsen domination but then we never know who is coming through. Certainly could be a kind of Federer domination where he has raised the level and we have to wait until the challengers arrive.

On another note I can feel my interest in the game growing back, to the point I might buy the latest copy of Fritz for £20 or start playing online again. My mum paid £90 for Fritz 5 back in the day :lol:
Go on line at chess.com and face the TW denizens!
I have entered the fray....
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Athers wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Athers wrote:Followed Anand-Carlsen on the app on my phone on holiday!

A few errors by Anand and he's crushed, after that first loss he reacted so badly the next day.
Easy to predict years of Carlsen domination but then we never know who is coming through. Certainly could be a kind of Federer domination where he has raised the level and we have to wait until the challengers arrive.

On another note I can feel my interest in the game growing back, to the point I might buy the latest copy of Fritz for £20 or start playing online again. My mum paid £90 for Fritz 5 back in the day :lol:
Go on line at chess.com and face the TW denizens!
I have entered the fray....
Good man! Expect gauntlets to be flying at you, especially from the Emerald Isle. Have you been on chess.com before? You have a rating while most of us start unrated.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:48 pm

apparently 9 games I played against a friend on Facebook in 2008 have given me the rating!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:24 am

Athers wrote:apparently 9 games I played against a friend on Facebook in 2008 have given me the rating!
Live and learn (I haven't told chess.com about my facebook account - and I won't).

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:32 am

I've taken a week off from the madness. Too much reverse-arsekicking.

I'll be back for revenge though.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:54 pm

I kind of forgot about this and lost several games as a result.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Absolutely goosed. Started the first of my three games today at 10am, finished my third at 9pm. All of this on the back of a crushing hangover. Ugh.

Lost the first game due to blundering an exchange, drew the second after committing an endgame sin, and won my last one. Back at it tomorrow at 10, hopefully feeling a bit better

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 pm

mrkint wrote:Absolutely goosed. Started the first of my three games today at 10am, finished my third at 9pm. All of this on the back of a crushing hangover. Ugh.

Lost the first game due to blundering an exchange, drew the second after committing an endgame sin, and won my last one. Back at it tomorrow at 10, hopefully feeling a bit better
Perhaps now is the right time to play you! :wink: I see you lost one in 8 moves yesterday. :shock:

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah, I can't remember it though. Was probably drunk or something.

Hopefully the games will be online sometime soon so I can take a look at them. Would do it now but cba

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:12 pm

finished with a score of 2.5 out of 5. Not great but not disappointed considering how ill-prepared for it i was. Got another one this weekend, gonna do a bit of prep this week and not get banjaxed on friday night.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm

mrkint wrote:finished with a score of 2.5 out of 5. Not great but not disappointed considering how ill-prepared for it i was. Got another one this weekend, gonna do a bit of prep this week and not get banjaxed on friday night.
Back to back! I never really considered that "grown-ups" had worked all week to spend all weekend at the board, but must be tiring!?

From your previous comment, do the games get uploaded for you nowadays?

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:29 pm

haha yeah, it was - as said though, work christmas do on friday was the main culprit! But yes, come the third game on saturday it was really started to tell on my thinking. ugh.

I'm not sure - they might do at some stage, but so far i can only find the results rather than the games. You can still follow some of the GM games going on on chessbomb - pretty weird having them play in the same hall as us. Also got to see Kasparov who was there, for some reason.

Managed to do a bit of computer analysis and incredibly despite blundering the exchange in the first game and being materially two pawns down it was objectively equal according to Rybka. pity i didn't mean it.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 pm

mrkint wrote:finished with a score of 2.5 out of 5. Not great but not disappointed considering how ill-prepared for it i was. Got another one this weekend, gonna do a bit of prep this week and not get banjaxed on friday night.
Is this a live tournament with clocks or something online?

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:46 pm

live tournament with clocks. 80mins + 10 seconds increment. Can't find any photos showing the scale of it but must have been about 200 or so boards in one room.