Superstition

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Superstition

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am

One of my Geekbook friends, a professional, down to earth, pragmatic woman, keeps posting and forwarding chain links, usually telling me to forward it myself or lose my chance of the fortune coming my way. It drives me almost as mad as the sad tossers who seem to be convinced Apple really do have 500 I pads to give away if you like their page.

I digress. She is too superstitious not to pass them on. Fess up, what superstitions do you have?? Personally, I struggle not to salute single Magpies. I've no idea why.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Superstition

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:00 am

I dance around oaken clearings naked at full moon sacrificing virgins every time I see a black cat. Apart from that, nothing.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 am

Saluting magpies is not a superstition. It's the law.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 am

I can't let myself be superstitious or I think I'd be a knob, touchwood.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 am

My Italian Gran has a few. She's convinced the numbers 4 and 8 are unlucky, so say she makes a pizza, you ask for 4 slices, she'll refuse or cut one in half so you have 5. She also thinks that if you go out in the sun in March it will make you go mad. No idea why.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:21 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Saluting magpies is not a superstition. It's the law.
It's very annoying when driving the car and my missus spots a lone magpie and squeals out "One for sorrow... quick find another one so it's two for joy!", like I can order one up with the click of my fingers :roll: ,or for that matter, that I give a flying feck about the one for sorrow bollox.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 am

Beefheart wrote:My Italian Gran has a few. She's convinced the numbers 4 and 8 are unlucky, so say she makes a pizza, you ask for 4 slices, she'll refuse or cut one in half so you have 5. She also thinks that if you go out in the sun in March it will make you go mad. No idea why.
Maybe she went out in the sun one March ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 am

Beefheart wrote:My Italian Gran has a few. She also thinks that if you go out in the sun in March it will make you go mad. No idea why.
Is your Gran a hare? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:30 am

Beefheart wrote:My Italian Gran has a few. She also thinks that if you go out in the sun in March it will make you go mad. No idea why.
So let's get this right, your gran stays indoors out of the sun for a whole month? Are you sure she's Italian, not Romanian by any chance? is she afraid of garlic on her pizza?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 am

I've got this fecking earworm now...

thirteeeeen month old ba.by.

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Saluting magpies is not a superstition. It's the law.
It's very annoying when driving the car and my missus spots a lone magpie and squeals out "One for sorrow... quick find another one so it's two for joy!", like I can order one up with the click of my fingers :roll: ,or for that matter, that I give a flying feck about the one for sorrow bollox.
'One for sorrow' is indeed a load of old bollocks.

Saluting magpies however is an entirely different scenario - and required by law.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Saluting magpies however is an entirely different scenario - and required by law.
I passed one this morning and failed to obey the law.
I'd like 13,754 other similar offenses to be taken into consideration your honour.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:55 am

Magpies are evil bastards. There's always 1 waiting for me.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

I may be missing something here. Apart from members of the Toon Army is Magpie British slang for anything else? This thread is going over my head.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: I may be missing something here. Apart from members of the Toon Army is Magpie British slang for anything else? This thread is going over my head.
Ah, I see that you're having a morning off. ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=saluting+magpies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 pm

One of them.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Bloody hell. How do you make that smaller?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: I may be missing something here. Apart from members of the Toon Army is Magpie British slang for anything else? This thread is going over my head.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=saluting+magpies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Bruce. I confess that superstition was never part of my childhood education. Indeed the routine "taking your hat off and making the sign of the cross, spitting three times over your shoulder, and saluting the magpie with 'Hello Mr Magpie, How's your lady wife today?" " would have got me into trouble. Making a cross might have been frowned on but public spitting was prohibited. Since they were always waiting to spoil Super John's day I thought they might be some kind of traffic cop who wore black and white. Live and learn.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Not a single one.

Though on occasion I will walk round a ladder, depends what the c*nt up top's doing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Thanks, Bruce. I confess that superstition was never part of my childhood education. Indeed the routine "taking your hat off and making the sign of the cross, spitting three times over your shoulder, and saluting the magpie with 'Hello Mr Magpie, How's your lady wife today?" " would have got me into trouble. Making a cross might have been frowned on but public spitting was prohibited. Since they were always waiting to spoil Super John's day I thought they might be some kind of traffic cop who wore black and white. Live and learn.
I was completely unaware as to this saluting magpies business until I met the now former Mrs Rioja, she used to do it everytime she saw one. Helpfully and to save her further embarrassment I pointed out to her at the time that she was being utterly fecking ridiculous. Given the remarks of some in this thread I have considerably more message-spreading to do.