What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:32 pm

As bad as Mrs Brown's Boys I'd imagine.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:44 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:As bad as Mrs Brown's Boys I'd imagine.
I imagine not! Jesus, it can't be.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
hi there, i'm chris wrote:As bad as Mrs Brown's Boys I'd imagine.
I imagine not! Jesus, it can't be.
Having seen Mrs Brown Boys, I think Miranda wins... :|

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:02 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
William the White wrote:I watched A Separation, directed by Iranian Director Asghar Fahardi, which won 'Best Foreign film' at the Golden Globes and oscars in 2012, Farsi (I presume, subtitled). The only other film of his I'd seen was Shirin, my description of which, IIRC, led to Bruce Rioja making a passing reference to 'that shite Will's just been watching'...

A film without villains but multiple victims, as a marriage breaks up and small lies and evasions lead to major tragedies. A fine movie. A film where you think you are seeing a culture laid bare as well as the half dozen central characters.

I've added three others by fahardi to my LF list after this one.
Another load of old bollocks. Such a meh film. Ooh but it's Iranian it must be important.? No, it's just an episode of Iranian eastenders. Uninteresting, boring turd
Two people in the NW disagree with you.

and several in Berlin and hollywood.

But one man's parsnip rissole is undoubtedly another's poison.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Just got back from Wolf of Wall Street. Enjoyed it, immensely in some parts, but I don't think it really matched the hype.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Beefheart wrote:Just got back from Wolf of Wall Street. Enjoyed it, immensely in some parts, but I don't think it really matched the hype.
We saw that at the Cornerhouse today. Also really enjoyed it. Also more cautious than some in how highly I rated. Not in the same league, imho, as Taxi Driver or Goodfellas. But a v gd movie.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:44 pm

William the White wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Just got back from Wolf of Wall Street. Enjoyed it, immensely in some parts, but I don't think it really matched the hype.
We saw that at the Cornerhouse today. Also really enjoyed it. Also more cautious than some in how highly I rated. Not in the same league, imho, as Taxi Driver or Goodfellas. But a v gd movie.
Not as good as Raging Bull or The King of Comedy either. Strong performances, and some great scenes but I just think it had some issues structurally and could probably have done with being a bit shorter (I don't think it would have suffered if it lost a couple of the many scenes depicting the wild parties, for example)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:05 am

Beefheart wrote:
William the White wrote:
Not as good as Raging Bull or The King of Comedy either. Strong performances, and some great scenes but I just think it had some issues structurally and could probably have done with being a bit shorter (I don't think it would have suffered if it lost a couple of the many scenes depicting the wild parties, for example)
With you on that one totally. They pretty much all made the same point about decadence, licentiousness, male power etc.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:19 am

I preferred Wolf to all those, and I love all of them.

Wolf is just so much more impressive. The whole cast are phenominal. The reactions of his team when he's giving his speeches is fantastic.you could've nominated all of them for best supporting actor. I'm glad Jonah Hill was tho and I'd be gutted if he didn't win. But I thought Rob Reiner as wolfy's dad was great too. I'm head over heels with Margot Robbie. I loved the music too, and it's bloody hilarious!

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 am

Not tonight, but tomorrow night......

Don't Look Down

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:46 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:I preferred Wolf to all those, and I love all of them.

Wolf is just so much more impressive. The whole cast are phenominal. The reactions of his team when he's giving his speeches is fantastic.you could've nominated all of them for best supporting actor. I'm glad Jonah Hill was tho and I'd be gutted if he didn't win. But I thought Rob Reiner as wolfy's dad was great too. I'm head over heels with Margot Robbie. I loved the music too, and it's bloody hilarious!
Loads of out-loud laughter in the cinema yesterday, including from us. It clearly swept you away, and I'm glad you had such a great time. So did I. It's very good. But I can't get it to the top of my Scorsese list.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Not tonight, but tomorrow night......

Don't Look Down
Think I'll leave him to it. Don't like heights. :D

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:Not tonight, but tomorrow night......

Don't Look Down
Think I'll leave him to it. Don't like heights. :D
Me neither, got sweaty palms from just the trailer....a little part of me wants them to fall......

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Olympus Has Fallen. More holes in the plot than a very holey thing, but enjoyable if you leave your brain at the door. More fun was had imagining the whooping and hollering in the cinemas of the good ole US of A as Gerard Butler singlehandedly saved the day. As said previously, a complete and utter rip-off of Die Hard, but I've had worse Saturday nights.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 am

End of Series 2 of Breaking Bad. Still gripped. But this is clearly a plot-driven series. With the exception of the Walt family and Jesse no other characters get time to develop. Compare and contrast with Sopranos and The Wire. and that's why - so far - these two series are superior. Complexity of character, strength of character development and - crucially - the importance of sub plot - partic in the Sopranos...

This doesn't mean i don't rate BB - I certainly do, massively... Just not as highly - so far - as the benchmarks of series drama.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:11 am

I've a feeling you and hi there, i'm chris are going to fall out over BB season five, Will.

Good luck with that. :)
Businesswoman of the year.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:31 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:Olympus Has Fallen. More holes in the plot than a very holey thing, but enjoyable if you leave your brain at the door. More fun was had imagining the whooping and hollering in the cinemas of the good ole US of A as Gerard Butler singlehandedly saved the day. As said previously, a complete and utter rip-off of Die Hard, but I've had worse Saturday nights.
Pure cheese (especially the slo-mo fluttering flag scene!) but quite good fun. Don't tell Bruce you like it

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 am

Watched American Hustle this evening. Excellent film with great performances, complex characters and a fantastic use of soundtrack. Highly recommended.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:45 am

CrazyHorse wrote:I've a feeling you and hi there, i'm chris are going to fall out over BB season five, Will.

It's gonna take me some while to get there, hoss, and so far am enjoying the journey...

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:03 am

CrazyHorse wrote:I've a feeling you and hi there, i'm chris are going to fall out over BB season five, Will.

:lol:

To be fair, he really likes seasons 1 and 2 when in most cases people who love the show think those seasons are slow.

Season 3 onwards is what makes it better than The Wire IMO.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;