General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A sure sign of the times when one of the smartest pubs left in Bolton is........The Griffin. Not seen the inside of it for a fair old while, I'll readily admit, but outside it's had a real face-lift. Once Bolton's equivalent of Tombstone's Last Chance Saloon, seems the old spitoonery's gone modernised. :wink:
One of very few pubs in town that I haven't ever been in. In fact, I can only think of two - The Griffin and The Greyhound.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:A sure sign of the times when one of the smartest pubs left in Bolton is........The Griffin. Not seen the inside of it for a fair old while, I'll readily admit, but outside it's had a real face-lift. Once Bolton's equivalent of Tombstone's Last Chance Saloon, seems the old spitoonery's gone modernised. :wink:
One of very few pubs in town that I haven't ever been in. In fact, I can only think of two - The Griffin and The Greyhound.
About the only town pub I haven't played darts in at one time or another is the said Griffin. Never fancied an arrow in the back of the head. The Greyhound had a real good team at one time with a guy called Charlie Wiseman as their star player. He really was something with the arrrows.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:40 pm

The Griffin was apparently the centre of the drug trade and got closed down in 2009. See http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/433 ... suspended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Presumably it has reopened under more salubrious management.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:45 pm

In the 20 years or so that I've been going out the Griffin has always been known as a criminal hive. And it wasn't much better before from what I've heard. The Greyhound isn't that bad I don't think, been in there during the day in the last couple of years for a game of darts and it was OK. Hardly an expert on either place though. I think The Blue Boar gets an unfairly bad press too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote: I think The Blue Boar gets an unfairly bad press too.
I've only ever been in the Blue Boar prior to watching something at the Town Hall. However, I've been in there every time I've been to watch something at the Town Hall. It's a sound enough place as far as I can see.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:The Griffin was apparently the centre of the drug trade and got closed down in 2009. See http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/433 ... suspended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Presumably it has reopened under more salubrious management.
Ha,ha. The Milky bars are on me.. :wink: The Griffin was never going to feature in Lancashire Life and has been a hang-out for the lower end since at least the late fifties. Wood Street Club and "The Grif" were allowed to stay open by the police so they'd know where to find all the villains. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:The Griffin was apparently the centre of the drug trade and got closed down in 2009. See http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/433 ... suspended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Presumably it has reopened under more salubrious management.
Ha,ha. The Milky bars are on me.. :wink: The Griffin was never going to feature in Lancashire Life and has been a hang-out for the lower end since at least the late fifties. Wood Street Club and "The Grif" were allowed to stay open by the police so they'd know where to find all the villains. :)
I think that that's basically what kept us out when we were younger. Its reputation, or at least those of its clientele, has always preceded it. There used to be another dodgy place next door which they knocked down to build that bit of a skate park.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:In the 20 years or so that I've been going out the Griffin has always been known as a criminal hive. And it wasn't much better before from what I've heard. The Greyhound isn't that bad I don't think, been in there during the day in the last couple of years for a game of darts and it was OK. Hardly an expert on either place though. I think The Blue Boar gets an unfairly bad press too.
37 year ago I pulled a tenner out at the bar in the Griff, barman said 'son if you want to walk out of here put it away quick and get some change off your pal', true dat is.

Wood street Tango, oh man a different level was that place and that was the females.
The cops stated up street till they finished beating the hell out of each other, had a few lucky escapes from there.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I think that that's basically what kept us out when we were younger. Its reputation, or at least those of its clientele, has always preceded it. There used to be another dodgy place next door which they knocked down to build that bit of a skate park.
Donaghys.
Owned by Bolton Councillor Martin Donaghy I think. That was a posh night out for Griffin regulars. I don't remember ever going in The George further down, what was that like?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Donaghys.
Owned by Bolton Councillor Martin Donaghy I think. That was a posh night out for Griffin regulars. I don't remember ever going in The George further down, what was that like?
I think Donaghys is still around. Maybe the Railway, once the Ormrod Arms?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 pm

The Railway was only a few doors up from the Griffin at one time. I went out with the daughter there a couple of times but they were moving to Canada. The Ancient Shepherd and The New Zealand Chief were real "town"pubs, way back. The Blue Boar was owned/managed by a cousin of mine, Austin Coyne, for quite a fair while and never had that bad a rep as I recall. He moved somewhere in Harwood last I heard. Back in the day there were all sorts of drinking venues round Bolton: The Borough, One Horse Shoe, Saddle, Grapes, Lower Nags, Brass Cat, Prince Bill, Flag and lots more like The York and Alma. You could add the Wine Lodge as being up the sharp end before the top of the pops lot took it over. Somewhere to suit all tastes you might say, even a piano bar at one time, opposite the Navada skating rink. Name escapes me just now, but it'll come back no doubt.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The Railway was only a few doors up from the Griffin at one time. I went out with the daughter there a couple of times but they were moving to Canada. The Ancient Shepherd and The New Zealand Chief were real "town"pubs, way back. The Blue Boar was owned/managed by a cousin of mine, Austin Coyne, for quite a fair while and never had that bad a rep as I recall. He moved somewhere in Harwood last I heard. Back in the day there were all sorts of drinking venues round Bolton: The Borough, One Horse Shoe, Saddle, Grapes, Lower Nags, Brass Cat, Prince Bill, Flag and lots more like The York and Alma. You could add the Wine Lodge as being up the sharp end before the top of the pops lot took it over. Somewhere to suit all tastes you might say, even a piano bar at one time, opposite the Navada skating rink. Name escapes me just now, but it'll come back no doubt.
It was Hawthorns at one time, if it's the one that i'm thinking of.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Some old geezer tried chatting my Mum up as she walked past recently, invited her in for a drink. Would need more than a facelift to get her in there!
Bit harsh on your Mum, don't you think? :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:The Railway was only a few doors up from the Griffin at one time. I went out with the daughter there a couple of times but they were moving to Canada. The Ancient Shepherd and The New Zealand Chief were real "town"pubs, way back. The Blue Boar was owned/managed by a cousin of mine, Austin Coyne, for quite a fair while and never had that bad a rep as I recall. He moved somewhere in Harwood last I heard. Back in the day there were all sorts of drinking venues round Bolton: The Borough, One Horse Shoe, Saddle, Grapes, Lower Nags, Brass Cat, Prince Bill, Flag and lots more like The York and Alma. You could add the Wine Lodge as being up the sharp end before the top of the pops lot took it over. Somewhere to suit all tastes you might say, even a piano bar at one time, opposite the Navada skating rink. Name escapes me just now, but it'll come back no doubt.
It was Hawthorns at one time, if it's the one that i'm thinking of.
Tis indeed B.P. ..Ta... :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Town Centre pub-run of my youth ;

Meet up at Moor Lane, so the Albion

Down Deansgate avoiding the various dangerous middens at the top end. For some reason, often descending under M&S to the Nags, then across to one I can't recall the name of just before Preston's, The Brass Cat, The Swan, the Man & Scythe. Then the King Bill. Cross over for a dangerous scoop of wine in Yates'. Ignore all the big 'uns along Bradshawgate till getting tom the Alma & then our longer stop-off point the Anchor. If we were going to see a band at the BIT we'd go to the Sweet Green en-route.

I've missed a few out but for some reason my mind is hazy.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Town Centre pub-run of my youth ;

Down Deansgate avoiding the various dangerous middens at the top end. For some reason, often descending under M&S to the Nags, then across to one I can't recall the name of just before Preston's, The Brass Cat, The Swan, the Man & Scythe. Then the King Bill. Cross over for a dangerous scoop of wine in Yates'. Ignore all the big 'uns along Bradshawgate till getting tom the Alma & then our longer stop-off point the Anchor. If we were going to see a band at the BIT we'd go to the Sweet Green en-route.

Olde Three Crowns?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

Olde Three Crowns?
The very one. Boddington's I think.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

Olde Three Crowns?
Aye, and Crown and Cushion opposite, down the side of M&S. :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Olde Three Crowns?
Aye, and Crown and Cushion opposite, down the side of M&S. :wink:
I still go in The Old 3, pretty quiet these days but OK for starters and a game of pool. In the mid 90s it was rammed with students all the time, very popular. I worked there during student holidays from 94-97, was hectic but I loved it.

Hawthorns changed from a piano bar to an indie club and was also very popular til the roof next door fell in and it was condemned and flattened about 3-4 years ago. The only place to go now for non pop-shite music late on now is The Dog and Partridge. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a lot of nice people, a great beer garden and plenty live music.

Donaghys has definitely been flattened Monty, for the skate park as Bruce said. Along with a couple of shops including Discovery records.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 pm

I worked in Hawthorns. We used to get ace lock ins 'til well into sunday morning. The longest I managed was lunchtime...some made it til teatime!. And then on the way home, we used to get a curry where the taxi drivers did. At 8, 9, 10 in the morning...

Ah, Memories!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.