The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Beefheart » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:I really don't get the 'Lefty Liberal BBC' tag. The only thing I have ever noticed the Beeb to be is painfully, painfully, obsessed with being, sounding and looking neutral.
Even if that means having complete nutcases involved in debates in the interest of 'balance'.

I guess you'll have some people within the BBC who are left leaning, but then you have the likes of Nick Robinson and Andrew Neil who very much aren't.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I really don't get the 'Lefty Liberal BBC' tag. The only thing I have ever noticed the Beeb to be is painfully, painfully, obsessed with being, sounding and looking neutral.
Even if that means having complete nutcases involved in debates in the interest of 'balance'.

I guess you'll have some people within the BBC who are left leaning, but then you have the likes of Nick Robinson and Andrew Neil who very much aren't.
Cleggs a nut case? :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The BBC were being hammered for being Tory biased on QT the other week.

Like you I think they remain neutral. Which of course the simpletons who read the Daily Mail and the Sun see as being "left wing".
Or maybe the people accusing it of being Tory biased were Guardian reading wearers of elbow patches, eh? ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

:D.

Nick Griffin, the leader of a party who have never had an MP, and whose total election success ever is, I think, 2 MEPs and 16 council seats got on QT. Don't want to look too lefty.

Worse, and this is the main thing about it that pisses me off, whenever there's a science question, they get a scientist, and a nutter, and present them equally.

Now, 5 minutes for the doctor, and 5 minutes for the bloke who thinks crystal skulls have healing power. There are two sides to every story.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Like you I think they remain neutral. Which of course the simpletons who read the Daily Mail and the Sun see as being "left wing".
Or maybe the people accusing it of being Tory biased were Guardian reading wearers of elbow patches, eh? ;)
Bloody Geography teachers, the lot of them.

Lefties notice the right winger and think it's biased towards Tories, right-wingers see the Lefty and think it's the other way. And there's always at least one of each.

I reckon they should give Richard Dawkins half of Songs of Praise to just shout 'it's all bollocks' into a megaphone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:

I reckon they should give Richard Dawkins half of Songs of Praise to just shout 'it's all bollocks' into a megaphone.
Only half Pru? Are you mellowing as you mature? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:

indeed - because he gets virtually no airtime at all, ever...

actually (except, perhaps Dawkins) - anybody shouting BOLLOX into a microphone for 20mins would be better than Songs of Praise! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Dawkins' shtick doesn't really work without there being someone else there to argue with.

Anyone really bored (or sad like me) should find his interview/debate with Medhi Hassan. I thought it was good!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Only half Pru? Are you mellowing as you mature? :wink:
It's the BBC TD, all views must be given equal weight. All of them.

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

Worse, and this is the main thing about it that pisses me off, whenever there's a science question, they get a scientist, and a nutter, and present them equally.

Now, 5 minutes for the doctor, and 5 minutes for the bloke who thinks crystal skulls have healing power. There are two sides to every story.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... e-coverage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When people say the BBC is 'to the left', they mean 'to the left of me'.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yep. Equally as stupid. (Them not you)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
you mean bobo???

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:23 pm

thebish wrote: actually (except, perhaps Dawkins) - anybody shouting BOLLOX into a microphone for 20mins would be better than Songs of Praise! :wink:
Oi. A friend of mine works on songs of praise.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Just heard the latest from the EU

Vroom, Vroom, beep, beep or will it be,

Caution tree hugger vehicle approaching, Caution........

Whats the sound track for the youth of 10 or 15 years time

F1

Wunderbar!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You know, some of us have met Bruce. And even met Guardian readers. And have an opinion on this one that may not necessarily be totally at one with the one you imply...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:03 am

William the White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You know, some of us have met Bruce. And even met Guardian readers. And have an opinion on this one that may not necessarily be totally at one with the one you imply...
I wasn't talking all Guardian readers. Or all Daily Mail reader for that matter. Just those who accuse the BBC of bias, through their own blinkered perceptions of what neutral news is.

Sun readers however...... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:18 am

So anyway, did anyone see the exchange between Farage and Clegg? Any juicy bits or was it rather like watching two bald men squabbling over a comb?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:So anyway, did anyone see the exchange between Farage and Clegg? Any juicy bits or was it rather like watching two bald men squabbling over a comb?
I saw it. Was utterly tedious. There are only so many times you can listen to one person claim one number, the other another then them both spend the next five minutes calling each other liars.

Farage is dangerous because he is peddling cheap soundbites that certain sections of the public want to hear. Anyone with a brain could do it.

Clegg is dangerous because everyone knows he is a sell out and therefore is a terrible counter-foil for Farage.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:42 am

Cheers, Fella. That sounds even more tedious and pointless than I thought it'd be. Just spied the lineup for tonight's QT; Liberal Democrat business secretary Vince Cable MP, Labour's former Northern Ireland secretary Peter Hain MP, Conservative MP Kwasi Kwarteng, associate editor of The Times Camilla Cavendish and Guardian columnist Julie Bindel. Admirable balance there :D

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 am

I can't handle QT, the applause often makes me want to put foot through TV. Just watch Newsnight & This Week instead really.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;