The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:44 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:sorry, meant 750m open water. old habits. :D

Get a wetsuit. Or hire one. I have a blueseventy Reaction wetsuit Direct from their website. After a brief conversation they established my size and sent me this:

Fits like a glove. Cost me £160 but as I say you could hire one just for the day.

Where is the race?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:13 am

Sorry, late reply. Thanks gary - i think i will hire one as this will be my first T, however we'll see if that shall be changed later!

The triathlon's at Eton Dorney. My company sponsors one, had free places and i entered a ballot for one, and got one. http://humanrace.co.uk/events/triathlon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:45 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Sorry, late reply. Thanks gary - i think i will hire one as this will be my first T, however we'll see if that shall be changed later!

The triathlon's at Eton Dorney. My company sponsors one, had free places and i entered a ballot for one, and got one. http://humanrace.co.uk/events/triathlon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eton Dorney's brilliant. That's the Olympic rowing venue with a 2 km long lake. I did the sprint relays there last September (doing the same again this September)

The lake is clear, bit of weed round the edges but otherwise fine. The bike and run are around the lake basically which is about 5k. So three or four times on the bike (not sure if you're doing 15k or 20k)

You'll have a blast.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks man :) gonna be hard to get to the level but looking forward to it! Out of itnerest, are tri-suits worth it? Was just gonna wear cycle shorts under wetsuit

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Thanks man :) gonna be hard to get to the level but looking forward to it! Out of itnerest, are tri-suits worth it? Was just gonna wear cycle shorts under wetsuit

Tri-suits have a built in padded section for the bike (although not as much as cycle shorts). They are pretty comfortable to run in and, given that the bike section isn't long, will be perfectly adequate.

Also, if you care about your transition times you don't want to be pissing about putting a shirt on. Tri-suit, number belt, Boom!

They retail about £70 for a half decent one but you can pick them up cheaper to give you an idea.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:07 am

i think i'd want as long a transition time as possible - to get a bit of a rest!!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:23 pm

don't really care about times (yet), just want to finish it first! gonna have a run in my cheapo cycle gear later to see how it goes. Don't want to start shelling out too much too soon, and have already booked swimming lessons at the behest of my bank balance.

Either way, it's going to be a very heavy couple of months, fitness wise.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Just over 5 miles of fartlek this evening. Third run/walk in a week. Getting closer to a 50/50 split of running and walking. Very warm tonight too. Feet up with a cold drink now. Sadly, its not a beer!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 am

3.6 miles run home last night, 3.6mile run in this morning, then swimming lesson at 8.

Run was slow and steady, and had to stop at a couple of intervals. But it's good to get in a habit again, and i'm sure that as i continue the consistency and times will reemerge.

Swimming was good, though i was appalled at how bad my technique was!
Last edited by KeyserSoze on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am

KeyserSoze wrote:3.6 miles run home last night, 3.6mile run in this morning, then swimming lesson at 8.

Run was slow and steady, and had to stop at a couple of interviews. But it's good to get in a habit again, and i'm sure that as i continue the consistency and times will reemerge.

wow - having to stop for interviews?? how famous are you?? :D

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am

thebish wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:3.6 miles run home last night, 3.6mile run in this morning, then swimming lesson at 8.

Run was slow and steady, and had to stop at a couple of interviews. But it's good to get in a habit again, and i'm sure that as i continue the consistency and times will reemerge.

:lol:

You know what...I've been doing that a worrying amount lately, thinking one thing in my head and then typing something completely different.

:/

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:03 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
thebish wrote:

:lol:

You know what...I've been doing that a worrying amount lately, thinking one thing in my head and then typing something completely different.

:/

Good start, well done. You need to incorporate a couple of 'brick' sessions too. That is, running off the bike. Try cycling for about half an hour (moderately fast) then running about two miles to get used to the transitional feeling in your quads and calfs. I need to do this more as I 'died' on the last couple of miles of my run on Saturday.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:28 am

Ta, gary - will look at doing that next time i cycle home.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Just watching HG run the chorley trail race. He was doing a dougie ands saying what poor shape he was on during the pre race interview I did for TW.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Shaved over 9 minutes off Monday nights time. :shock: Also managed 26 mins running, compared to 21 mins walking. Feeling much stronger over the last part of the course too. Just wish that I could run for more than 6 minutes at a time. All in all a very happy chap this evening!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:12 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Just watching HG run the chorley trail race. He was doing a dougie ands saying what poor shape he was on during the pre race interview I did for TW.
:D I'm sure if I let Dougie do my post race report it'd sound like I won the thing! I've not put much training in recently and it showed when a club mate who's never beaten me before came flying past me in the last mile. He's currently training for a mountain ultra in the Pyrenees and is obviously getting the benefit.

Well done BP - keep it up fella :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Something that made me laugh in a re-run of Lewis tonight:
Bird fancies a bloke who does a bit of running, says, gushingly: "I've always wanted to learn how to run"...bloke, not interested, replies dismissively: "It's easy, you just walk, but faster" :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Just watching HG run the chorley trail race. He was doing a dougie ands saying what poor shape he was on during the pre race interview I did for TW.
:D I'm sure if I let Dougie do my post race report it'd sound like I won the thing! I've not put much training in recently and it showed when a club mate who's never beaten me before came flying past me in the last mile. He's currently training for a mountain ultra in the Pyrenees and is obviously getting the benefit.

Well done BP - keep it up fella :pissed:
Nice one BP. And HG, remember you achieved your pre race aim of not getting beat by that 'gormless bloke from work' who never beats you! Well done!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 am

Jo Pavey, what an absolute star, I salute her. :pray:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:47 am

After pre-season training on tuesday can confirm Prufrock is actually Felix Magath.