The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:My knee is knacked. Can't walk downstairs without discomfort and every bugger seems to have a horror story about Meniscus tears from surgery.

One happy bastard last night told me his friend had surgery and never ran again.

Back to the physio tonight. :evil:
Nightmare :(

It seems at our age, good spells are frequently punctuated by the odd injury. Certainly, I can only think of 1 or 2 fellow runners in the Vet category that never seem to get injured.

I've no doubt you'll be back at it soon bud - in the meantime keep in the pool & on the bike. Good luck
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:My knee is knacked. Can't walk downstairs without discomfort and every bugger seems to have a horror story about Meniscus tears from surgery.

One happy bastard last night told me his friend had surgery and never ran again.

It seems at our age, good spells are frequently punctuated by the odd injury. Certainly, I can only think of 1 or 2 fellow runners in the Vet category that never seem to get injured.

I've no doubt you'll be back at it soon bud - in the meantime keep in the pool & on the bike. Good luck

Cheers H.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Too many jokes! :mrgreen:

On a more serious note, Harry is right, if you are able to continue to bike and swim you'll not lose much fitness before the big event next year.

As for Hoboh, I agree with LE, pathetic attempt to kick someone when he's down. He's a WUM GtE, ignore him. At the end of the day when you're (even) older and (more) past it ;) you are going to be able to look back on what you have achieved with such pride. Not everyone can say that about life. Chin up M!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Too many jokes! :mrgreen:

On a more serious note, Harry is right, if you are able to continue to bike and swim you'll not lose much fitness before the big event next year.

As for Hoboh, I agree with LE, pathetic attempt to kick someone when he's down. He's a WUM GtE, ignore him. At the end of the day when you're (even) older and (more) past it ;) you are going to be able to look back on what you have achieved with such pride. Not everyone can say that about life. Chin up M!

Thanks.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:58 pm

I was not 'kicking' anyone while they are down, nor was it an attack on GtE personally, so some people can stick that in their pipe and smoke it!

I do not usually post on this thread but I do read it and have noticed a fair amount of injuries to the 'shall we say' more enthusiastic posters.

I did say that I agree with the sensible view of moderation in activity, heck even expensive medicals like footballers undertake missed Muamba, so what chance does average Joe public stand when pushing physical limits?

I am genuinely sorry my post got to you GtE.

I see the usual worm or two surfaced, trolling on this site is getting bad, some people should not confuse having your own mind instead of being sheep lead by the Neo-Liberals to believe everyone is good, just misunderstood! Bigot my ass.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Hoboh wrote:I was not 'kicking' anyone while they are down, nor was it an attack on GtE personally, so some people can stick that in their pipe and smoke it!

I do not usually post on this thread but I do read it and have noticed a fair amount of injuries to the 'shall we say' more enthusiastic posters.

I did say that I agree with the sensible view of moderation in activity, heck even expensive medicals like footballers undertake missed Muamba, so what chance does average Joe public stand when pushing physical limits?

I see the usual worm or two surfaced, trolling on this site is getting bad, some people should not confuse having your own mind instead of being sheep lead by the Neo-Liberals to believe everyone is good, just misunderstood! Bigot my ass.

I didn't take your original post as a personal attack. But describing people who are involved in this thread as 'dicks' and 'drains on the NHS' is bound to generate a reaction. I overreacted perhaps by using the words I did but my reaction was justified.

I would also advocate exercise in moderation. People pushing too hard will injure themselves. If you don't push your physical limits how do you know what you can achieve?

What I am doing is challenging myself to find my ceiling. I take full responsibility for that and pay for it as a consequence. I quit smoking 9 years ago as I didn't want to burden anyone with my self inflicted lung cancer/ emphysema/ blood clots/ strokes etc. in later life.

I would also further that by saying I think my life expectancy is greatly increased because of my hobby. Can you?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Old dodderer!

Hahahahahahahahahaha
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Whwre the fvck all that came from I'll never know.. But I almost spat my brew out at that comment
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

get well soon gte! hopefully just one step back.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:02 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hoboh wrote:I was not 'kicking' anyone while they are down, nor was it an attack on GtE personally, so some people can stick that in their pipe and smoke it!

I didn't take your original post as a personal attack. But describing people who are involved in this thread as 'dicks' and 'drains on the NHS' is bound to generate a reaction. I overreacted perhaps by using the words I did but my reaction was justified.

I would also advocate exercise in moderation. People pushing too hard will injure themselves. If you don't push your physical limits how do you know what you can achieve?

What I am doing is challenging myself to find my ceiling. I take full responsibility for that and pay for it as a consequence. I quit smoking 9 years ago as I didn't want to burden anyone with my self inflicted lung cancer/ emphysema/ blood clots/ strokes etc. in later life.

I would also further that by saying I think my life expectancy is greatly increased because of my hobby. Can you?
No, defiantly not.

I too perhaps used the odd word I shouldn't have.
What I am doing is challenging myself to find my ceiling. I take full responsibility for that and pay for it as a consequence.
Excellent, then clearly I was generalising in my post.
I apologise again (two in one day will leave my reputation in tatters you know :mrgreen: ) Although I thought a man in your job would know all about drains :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks Hoboh, it takes guts to apologise.

Gotta love the NHS v. BUPA

I need a referral letter to make an appointment to see and Orthopaedic Consultant about my knee.

To do this I need a referral letter from my GP and an authorisation code from BUPA

I have an appointment to see said OC tonight after speaking to BUPA this morning.

My referral letter is going to take a week for them to type up and for me to COLLECT from the surgery.

Fortunately this happens all the time and BUPA have allowed me to keep the appointment.

You see Hoboh, this is why it's worth paying for private.

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Doing the Great North Run this weekend, first ever half marathon, to say I'm apprehensive would be rather understating it. Seemed like a good idea when I applied, seems like total madness now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:57 pm

mrplow wrote:Doing the Great North Run this weekend, first ever half marathon, to say I'm apprehensive would be rather understating it. Seemed like a good idea when I applied, seems like total madness now.
Enjoy it! I would say - don't set off to fast - but it's so packed I reckon you'll be lucky to break into more than a mild jog for the 1st 2 miles!

Good luck :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
mrplow wrote:Doing the Great North Run this weekend, first ever half marathon, to say I'm apprehensive would be rather understating it. Seemed like a good idea when I applied, seems like total madness now.
Enjoy it! I would say - don't set off to fast - but it's so packed I reckon you'll be lucky to break into more than a mild jog for the 1st 2 miles!

yeah - I'd echo that - I have always found it very difficult to break into anything more than a mild jog over that knd of distance! :wink:

good luck!

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mrplow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Thanks. Not expecting much more than a mild jog for the whole race tbh.

Running it with my daughter, who is quite quick, and hoping for a PB. I'm guaranteed a PB ;-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:52 pm

mrplow wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Thanks. Not expecting much more than a mild jog for the whole race tbh.

Running it with my daughter, who is quite quick, and hoping for a PB. I'm guaranteed a PB ;-)

I did this 2 years ago. Look out for the hill between mile 10 and 11. It's a shocker. After that there is a half mile steep descent and then a flat finish along the sea front. The rest of the race is great. Well supported, well organised and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.

Have a great time.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:... and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.
Well, they're practicing over our house this week. I thought it was for NATO.

Mind you, so are the attack aircraft, been over every day this week, several times some days. Draw your own conclusions.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:... and you get welcomed into South Shields by the Red Arrows! (You won't notice them at the start because you'll be running with approximately 50,00 other people.

Mind you, so are the attack aircraft, been over every day this week, several times some days. Draw your own conclusions.

You're about to barred from England?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Isn't he already?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Hence being exiled just over the border !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".