What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by William the White » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:08 pm

thebish wrote:got round to watching cloud atlas tonight... I had no idea how they'd make that book into a film - and though they have done it very differently to the way the book is laid out - they've done a cracking job!
We (me and my wife) are real big fans of the book - as I know you are. We also liked the film. but wondered what you would make of it if you hasdn't read the book.

Wonder how CAPS is getting on with the book. He's not yet rapped on my door to thank me effusively...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:34 pm

William the White wrote:
thebish wrote:got round to watching cloud atlas tonight... I had no idea how they'd make that book into a film - and though they have done it very differently to the way the book is laid out - they've done a cracking job!
We (me and my wife) are real big fans of the book - as I know you are. We also liked the film. but wondered what you would make of it if you hasdn't read the book.

Wonder how CAPS is getting on with the book. He's not yet rapped on my door to thank me effusively...
my eldest son watched it with us - not having read the book... he loved it - gave it a 10/10 (which is high praise from him!)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:39 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

my eldest son watched it with us - not having read the book... he loved it - gave it a 10/10 (which is high praise from him!)
Hard to get higher!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 pm

I heard awful reviews of the film when it came out so haven't bothered yet. I'm pretty sure I've said this before though. Another rave review I spose means I have to!

Anyway, watched a fab episode of Newsnight tonight. Jonathan Powell talking about Isis, Tracey Emin talking about her new exhibition, and then one (perhaps not the first) of there 'short look's at the Booker shortlist: Howard Jacobson's 'J'. Hadn't grabbed me (my own planned 'order' seems to have followed Bill's) bit I'm intruiged by him talking about coining the word 'Twitternacht'. Seems to have a 90% chance of being prickish twattery, but a slight chance of being good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:I heard awful reviews of the film when it came out so haven't bothered yet. I'm pretty sure I've said this before though. Another rave review I spose means I have to!

Anyway, watched a fab episode of Newsnight tonight. Jonathan Powell talking about Isis, Tracey Emin talking about her new exhibition, and then one (perhaps not the first) of there 'short look's at the Booker shortlist: Howard Jacobson's 'J'. Hadn't grabbed me (my own planned 'order' seems to have followed Bill's) bit I'm intruiged by him talking about coining the word 'Twitternacht'. Seems to have a 90% chance of being prickish twattery, but a slight chance of being good.
Emin voting Tory for the second time! Bruce and bobo will be pleased. :lmfao:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:04 am

William the White wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I heard awful reviews of the film when it came out so haven't bothered yet. I'm pretty sure I've said this before though. Another rave review I spose means I have to!

Emin voting Tory for the second time! Bruce and bobo will be pleased. :lmfao:
I watched about three minutes of her showing off her infantile scrawl and went to bed.
May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:17 am

havent read the book. detested the film. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Watched Winter's Bone. Brilliantly bleak indeed. Absolutely captivated. That Jennifer Lawrence is actually a damn fine actress. I wasn't expecting that :shock:

Bleak but excellent film. And agree with you about JL.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:14 am

Watched an old 1990 film " A Killing in a Small Town " Based on facts apparently, it starred Barbara Hershey and Brian Dennehy. Seemed very dated but the event happened in 1980 so it was probably pretty authentic. Barbara Hershey won Emmy and Golden Globe awards for her acting in the film. Always like Brian Dennhey.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Watched an old 1990 film " A Killing in a Small Town " Based on facts apparently, it starred Barbara Hershey and Brian Dennehy. Seemed very dated but the event happened in 1980 so it was probably pretty authentic. Barbara Hershey won Emmy and Golden Globe awards for her acting in the film. Always like Brian Dennhey.

Never better than in Belly of an Architect, I think.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:24 am

Anybody catch the final part of The Driver on BBC1? Few too many coincidences for my liking. Tense stuff, though.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:51 am

Gone Girl last night.

Enjoyed it, its the most visually impressive, superbly acted, amazingly scored, utterly compelling load of implausible bollocks ever.

(none reader of the book)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:13 am

Had The Grand Budapest Hotel recommended to me yesterday by someone whose views on a film I wouldn't normally seek out.

Anyone? :conf:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:26 am

Bit of filming goes on over Horwich. BEN drags out its headline-hyperbole generator.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/115 ... ?ref=fbshr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Had The Grand Budapest Hotel recommended to me yesterday by someone whose views on a film I wouldn't normally seek out.

yes, absolutely!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:37 am

that reminds me, good video here of the San Marino descent off Winter Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scv_wnf ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these Go-Pro camera drones are all the rage at the minute, very impressive. You have obviously all seen the latest Danny MacAskill edit? bike videos are ten a penny atm but this is pretty incredible... http://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-ridge- ... -2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:29 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Had The Grand Budapest Hotel recommended to me yesterday by someone whose views on a film I wouldn't normally seek out.

yes, absolutely!
You'll do for me, Our Kid.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:58 am

Never really go in for Wes Anderson's stuff but watched that on the plane. A proper fun caper!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:

yes, absolutely!
You'll do for me, Our Kid.
Hilarious!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Can't remember whether it was Will or Youri that recco'd this, but Downfall is just coming on on BBC4. It's about Hitler's last 10 days and has that scene in that everyone nicks and swaps the words about on.