What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you playing tonight?

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Can you remember what finally killed you off mainstream pop?
No, as nothing's ever turned me onto it, although I did quite like The Thompson Twins at one point. :?
you had the hair for it...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Don't mind a bit o' pop, or owt that takes my fancy. To be honest, i think Chandelier by Sia is one of the best songs this year.

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Can you remember what finally killed you off mainstream pop? I think, for me, it was when my lad came home with a copy of Karma Chameleon. I never quite got over the shock. :|

:mrgreen:
Punk.

bunch of talentless morons thrashing the shit out of instruments and making a noise, being obnoxious and thinking they were unique and changing the World. Tossers.

I tuned to Blues and also went retro by looking into existing back-catalogues. I'm glad I did.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:53 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Can you remember what finally killed you off mainstream pop? I think, for me, it was when my lad came home with a copy of Karma Chameleon. I never quite got over the shock. :|

:mrgreen:
Punk.

bunch of talentless morons thrashing the shit out of instruments and making a noise, being obnoxious and thinking they were unique and changing the World. Tossers.

I tuned to Blues and also went retro by looking into existing back-catalogues. I'm glad I did.
I was never really into mainstream pop after about the age of 6. I'm not sure punk counts as mainstream pop either. :-)

Certainly around 82 onwards, there was just a complete dearth of anything remotely talented for about a lifetime in terms of great groups. There was some cracking one-off songs though - so pick n choose.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I was never really into mainstream pop after about the age of 6. I'm not sure punk counts as mainstream pop either. :-)

Certainly around 82 onwards, there was just a complete dearth of anything remotely talented for about a lifetime in terms of great groups. There was some cracking one-off songs though - so pick n choose.
I suppose I'm talking another era, because The Kinks, Beatles, Moodies, Stones, Dylan, etc, etc, followed the rock and roll boom of the late fifties and all started in mainstream at one time. The sheer volume of music that followed was what defined the various offshoots and preferences.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:56 am

That turgid U2 album's found its way onto my phone and into my ipod bit. I don't want to be listening to that shite as I'm jogging along (with the exception of the first track, which I quite like). How do I get rid of it? What a fecking liberty!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:That turgid U2 album's found its way onto my phone and into my ipod bit. I don't want to be listening to that shite as I'm jogging along (with the exception of the first track, which I quite like). How do I get rid of it? What a fecking liberty!
It's God's way of reminding you, you picked an Apple phone. You should listen to it every day, just to remind you.

I think if you go onto iTunes, there's some way to delete it - don't think you can do it direct from your playlists etc.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Tonight I'm listening to a variety of stuff from my Dad's record collection. I bought some (rare Frank Zappa) vinyl for the first time, which hasn't arrived yet but obviously needed to invest in a record player to play 'em.

Decided on this piece of kit:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Allows me to convert the recording into mp3, and even automatically splits them into separate tracks. I've only converted the one record so far (Television's Marquee Moon) but I'm really quite impressed with the quality of the mp3s.

Still don't agree that vinyl sounds better though, that's just hipsters being silly.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:56 am

Bit of Scott Walker for me today. From 60s heartthrob to experimental great.

In preparation for his new album, in collaboration with Sunn o))) - a bit of a departure

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:19 am

New Twilight Sad album streaming here: http://drownedinsound.com/news/4148395- ... ece-nobody" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

really good little record.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:14 pm

am digitizing my entire cd collection - just found a very sweet little boxed set of the whole EBTG catalogue.. am re-listening to them as I haven't put them on for years... smooth!! :-)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 pm

just read this page. Like having a chat with Albert Fkcn Tatlock...............................

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Il Pirate wrote:just read this page. Like having a chat with Albert Fkcn Tatlock...............................
your face is Albert Fkcn Tatlock.....

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:25 pm

I have very recently been enlightened by the searing output of Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon fame. He is a master and I get the opportunity to see him in concert with backing band in about 3 weeks time at the brilliant Brudenell Social Club in Leeds.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Watching The One Show they used an instrumental version of Wires by Athlete as the backing tune for an item. I'd forgotten what a fine song it is. This evening I'll be mostly revisiting the album Tourist by Athlete. :)

Have a listen if you like.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:I have very recently been enlightened by the searing output of Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon fame. He is a master and I get the opportunity to see him in concert with backing band in about 3 weeks time at the brilliant Brudenell Social Club in Leeds.
The first one's one of those that I appreciated the individual parts more that their sum. Maybe I should give it a few listens. Loved the other three though, Doc. Cheers. Enjoy the gig.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:36 am

The Pitchfork review of the latest Sun Kil Moon album 'Benji' absolutely nails it:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/188 ... oon-benji/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Album of the year for me, and hopefully one of the gigs of the year too!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 am

Cheers for the links, Hotdog - really enjoying it. Gonna have to be some album to beat The Twilight Sad or Ben Frost - annoyingly, still not heard the Scott Walker/Sunn 0))) collaboration - but definitely going to enjoy it trying to!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Nay problemo Keyser, share the wealth!

I've got to say I reckon this Sunn / Scott Walker trip is a step too far for both acts. Scott's dark trilogy which ended with The Drift and Bish Bosch was interesting, but it seems that Sunn (and perhaps Walker to an extent) are just trying different ways to stay relevant. First teaming up with Ulver for a quick collab and now with Walker. Their race is run. The cloaks and 2 minute riffs which repeated for the next 30 were fine when they first came on the scene (although the cloaks came later, after their initial rise) but I think they're just grasping at it. They peaked with the Altar (with Boris) and Monoliths and Dimensions records, but I think Soused is a grope too far. Basically, I've lost interest! I saw them at Satan's Hollow in 2004 and it was warm and fuzzy and fun - since then it's gone serious, cold and boring and the hyperbole that has surrounded them for the past few years is galling.

HEFT:

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:The Pitchfork review of the latest Sun Kil Moon album 'Benji' absolutely nails it:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/188 ... oon-benji/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Album of the year for me, and hopefully one of the gigs of the year too!

House to myself. Night. Lights out, extra large glass of shiraz, Tonight in Bilbao playing loudly. Bliss...............