The Weather

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The Weather

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Could be either but my money's on Long Lane.

Windy down here too. Should be fun watching goalkicks go for corners tonight!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Got bored and internetted it.

1) It's Leverhulme.

2) It's from last year? http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-10 ... n-to-come/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Got bored and internetted it.

1) It's Leverhulme.

2) It's from last year? http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-10 ... n-to-come/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cheating bar stewards. I didn't think it looked quite as black out there. Windy with hail and driving rain but still quite bright in Bolton. In fact there has been plenty of blue sky at the moment.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm

I've got to go running about in it tonight, so hopefully we've seen the worst of it now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've got to go running about in it tonight, so hopefully we've seen the worst of it now.
I don't like be the bearer of bad news but........ it isn't getting any better.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:43 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Got bored and internetted it.

1) It's Leverhulme.

My hand's up. Would have lost my money on that one. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Where's this term 'weather bomb' turned up from? :conf:

Anyway, we've just been informed that Felixstowe is likely to close at 19:00 tonight for up to 72 hours. So that's us right royally fecked just ahead of the shutdown then. :roll:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Where's this term 'weather bomb' turned up from?
Sounds like the kind of apocalyptic crap the tosspots at the Daily Express regularly come up with when forecasting a short period of wintery weather for their imbecilic readership.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Where's this term 'weather bomb' turned up from? :conf:

Anyway, we've just been informed that Felixstowe is likely to close at 19:00 tonight for up to 72 hours. So that's us right royally fecked just ahead of the shutdown then. :roll:
Glad you asked:
Explosive Cyclogenesis (also referred to as a weather bomb, meteorological bomb, explosive development, or bombogenesis) refers in a strict sense to a rapidly deepening extratropical cyclonic low-pressure area. To enter this category, the central pressure of a depression at 60˚ latitude is typically taken to decrease by 24 mb (hPa) or more in 24 hours.
:wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Glad you asked:
Explosive Cyclogenesis (also referred to as a weather bomb, meteorological bomb, explosive development, or bombogenesis) refers in a strict sense to a rapidly deepening extratropical cyclonic low-pressure area. To enter this category, the central pressure of a depression at 60˚ latitude is typically taken to decrease by 24 mb (hPa) or more in 24 hours.
:wink:
That explains what it is (Ergo, a spot of bad weather) we know this. Where has the expression come from? That was my question, and one that I'd have thought you'd be more comfortable answering. ;)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I believe it would only be "a spot of bad weather", should it strike land, North of Watford. More Southerly, and it would be a national disaster, rather than purely a metereological phenomenon.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Bombogenesis is quite the word!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Athers wrote:Bombogenesis is quite the word!
their last album was rubbish (as were all the rest!)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:00 pm

So now't to do with Putin or ISIS then?
Drat how disappointing!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Someone was explaining on the wireless. Apparently the word has come over from America. Perhaps it was blown over on this current weather bomb? :conf:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:55 am

malcd1 wrote:

Someone was explaining on the wireless. Apparently the word has come over from America. Perhaps it was blown over on this current weather bomb? :conf:
American? Perhaps a translation from the Norwegian.
In the 1940s and 50s meteorologists at the Bergen School of Meteorology began informally calling some storms "bombs" because they developed with a ferocity rarely, if ever, seen over land. By the 1970s the terms "explosive cyclogenesis" and even "meteorological bombs" were being used by MIT professor Fred Sanders (building on work from the 1950s by Tor Bergeron), who brought the term into common usage in a 1980 article in the Monthly Weather Review.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

In the 1940s and 50s meteorologists at the Bergen School of Meteorology began informally calling some storms "bombs" because they developed with a ferocity rarely, if ever, seen over land. By the 1970s the terms "explosive cyclogenesis" and even "meteorological bombs" were being used by MIT professor Fred Sanders (building on work from the 1950s by Tor Bergeron), who brought the term into common usage in a 1980 article in the Monthly Weather Review.
And where's Fred Sanders from? Fred Sanders not being a common name over Bergen way.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

And where's Fred Sanders from? Fred Sanders not being a common name over Bergen way.
Fred was evidently from Boston but he appears to have developed the terminology from the Bergen chaps 30 years later. Oh never mind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

Fred was evidently from Boston but he appears to have developed the terminology from the Bergen chaps 30 years later. Oh never mind.
But not happy with that he had to do what all Yanks do and come up with their own claptrap.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 pm

I can't recall seeing or hearing the term 'weather bomb' or such similar term, even in the various media in this country (most of which are experts in using inapt words at the slightest opportunity).

In the last week or ten days where I live we have had just one day where we were storm free - and on that one I heard distant rumbles. Old Zeus has certainly been throwing his favourite weapon around with gay abandon. He's killed at least two people in his exuberance and injured quite a few more. One of those was a youngster who was caught on the beach as a storm front thundered through, the other a fifty-odd year old who was struck as he was loading shopping into his car.

I keep a fair watch on the weather as I run a weather station and an associated web site ( http://www.blaxlandweather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you're interested). Unlike the UK Met. Bureau the local Bureau of Meteorology provides a lot of information via its web site free of charge. Perhaps that's why the local media tend to use 'proper' terms for their reports. :conf: