Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Just an observation, but , except in literary usage, the apostrophe has come into quite common modern use as in "I'll do it later" etc, instead of either of the formal shall, or "will".
"I shall do it later, I promise" ..is much more likely to be found in Pride and Prejudice than The Bourne Inheritance, for instance.
And that is before you get to text speak.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:04 am

The perfect example of how 1 fecking idiot can ruin a game of football:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29772988
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:16 pm

That really annoying cow talking about hotpants on the Moonpig advert. Makes my ears bleed.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Sunday trading laws. Int it about time we knocked this archaic practice on the head? Tried to nip to Asda this morning to do a bit of shopping for a mate who's incapacitated. Doors didn't open until 10.30. Then I had to wait around for 15 minutes because the checkouts aren't allowed to be opened until 11 :whack:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Sunday trading laws. Int it about time we knocked this archaic practice on the head? Tried to nip to Asda this morning to do a bit of shopping for a mate who's incapacitated. Doors didn't open until 10.30. Then I had to wait around for 15 minutes because the checkouts aren't allowed to be opened until 11 :whack:
Wasn't this 11 o'clock business brought about to appease 'the church' when they slackened the original Sunday trading laws? Bish? Any light? But yes, Harry, it's fecking ridiculous that there's a viewing period before you're allowed to buy anything.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Some Tesco stores open up at 00:01, Monday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:22 pm

jaffka wrote:Some Tesco stores open up at 00:01, Monday.
They do - I've been in one at 00:01 on a Monday. Son was going on a school trip earlier in the year, and we'd missed something off the "to be packed" list...Was still awake, so legged it up to Tesco in Wagdin for 00:00 opening...Sad thing was, I wasn't the only one. :-)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Drivers who come to a round-about, especially dual-carriage ones, and simply drive straight, cutting across the lanes. Wankers
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Sunday trading laws. Int it about time we knocked this archaic practice on the head? Tried to nip to Asda this morning to do a bit of shopping for a mate who's incapacitated. Doors didn't open until 10.30. Then I had to wait around for 15 minutes because the checkouts aren't allowed to be opened until 11 :whack:
:pray:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I am in favour of sunday trading laws - and particularly restrictions on Big Supermarkets - but not for "religious" reasons...

1) I know the pattern of society is changing - but I LIKE that there is a day of the week that is still largely different in pace and feel to the rest of them. I think a "sabbath" is good for us whether or not is is treated as a religious thing. I also think that "Sunday" is still part of what we call "British Culture". It is being eroded - but I see no reason to hasten its demise just because someone has run out of frozen peas.

2) because despite reassurances - shopworkers are made to work shifts on sundays and I think it's good for people to have a day that they can assume is a day off - kinda like 1) above

3) small local shops are the place to go on sunday - it's the only respite they get from tesco and sainsbury - unrestrict sunday and another whole swathe of local shops will die.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 pm

thebish wrote:
3) small local shops are the place to go on sunday - it's the only respite they get from tesco and sainsbury - unrestrict sunday and another whole swathe of local shops will die.
None of them could be arsed opening on a Sunday, by me. Morrisons do, however.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:39 pm

1) I know the pattern of society is changing - but I LIKE that there is a day of the week that is still largely different in pace and feel to the rest of them. I think a "sabbath" is good for us whether or not is is treated as a religious thing. I also think that "Sunday" is still part of what we call "British Culture". It is being eroded - but I see no reason to hasten its demise just because someone has run out of frozen peas.

I'm bob on wi this. Except for the fact that I can go to the local Tesco :oops: and buy six bottles of decent wine for the price of two shit ones at my local shop....................

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I think everywhere, Pubs, Garages, shops, railways and air/sea ports are closed.
Ohhh nearly forgot, those dammed bell ringing church's, well I suppose they don't cause many traffic jams now-a-day, just the ears.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:18 am

Where has this "need" to shop 27 hours a day, 9 days a week emerged from?

I say shut all shops on a sunday, just for the look of bemusement on peoples faces when they have to think of something else to do.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:22 am

thebish wrote:I am in favour of sunday trading laws - and particularly restrictions on Big Supermarkets - but not for "religious" reasons...

2) because despite reassurances - shopworkers are made to work shifts on sundays and I think it's good for people to have a day that they can assume is a day off - kinda like 1) above

I don't think 3 applies, and don't agree with 1. 2 is the only strong argument I hear against it, in which case restrict how long people can work on a Sunday, rather than how long shops can open.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:27 am

Il Pirate wrote:

I'm bob on wi this. Except for the fact that I can go to the local Tesco :oops: and buy six bottles of decent wine for the price of two shit ones at my local shop....................

Your local shop must be pretty f*cking dire.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:35 am

Prufrock wrote:

I don't think 3 applies, and don't agree with 1. 2 is the only strong argument I hear against it, in which case restrict how long people can work on a Sunday, rather than how long shops can open.
should you - as in you - be made to work in your chosen profession on a sunday? Or do you - as in you - enjoy and value the expectation of having Sunday off?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am

I was brought up in the days when Sundays were dead. It was awful.

Today there's a better balance, which I appreciate. Though I could Nit-pick I do feel I it's reasonable now and feel it IS nice that not every single day is the same. When I visited my son in Paris I saw the full force of Sunday restrictions and it was bloody awful.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 am

Erm - if you want to have Sundays off then don't work in retail. Simple as a pimple. ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:06 am

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

should you - as in you - be made to work in your chosen profession on a sunday? Or do you - as in you - enjoy and value the expectation of having Sunday off?
Don't give them ideas!

People should have expectations as to certain time off, but I don't see why it has to be a Sunday. Current laws don't achieve that effect anyway. I worked in a shop for 2 years and a pub for 6 and worked almost every Sunday. In the pub we worked the same shifts and in the shop we'd work 5 or 6 hours instead of the usual 7 or 8. I didn't feel grateful they'd been made to give me that day 'off'.

So the current laws don't work anyway, and going the other way would make us like Paris, which as Bobes says, is ridiculous.