Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:04 pm

SEVEN! Crikey man! I was only in for about two and a half, feel quite impatient now!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:32 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:SEVEN! Crikey man! I was only in for about two and a half, feel quite impatient now!
Aye. It were shit. Had to queue up for over an hour just to be told what number you were in the next queue. Had a chat with Tony Blackburn who was sat next to me though, which was nice.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:SEVEN! Crikey man! I was only in for about two and a half, feel quite impatient now!
Aye. It were shit. Had to queue up for over an hour just to be told what number you were in the next queue. Had a chat with Tony Blackburn who was sat next to me though, which was nice.
Tell me you asked him about Tessa Wyatt.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Who? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Who? :conf:
one time 'Robin's Nest' actress (reading up today for this reply it seems she's been in 'Eastenders') and his first Mrs ... as he played seriously above his pay grade ...

They split up and he had an on-air meltdown, over several days, until he was taken off air for a while. He played a combination of morose tunes & songs he considered to be 'theirs' continuously whilst rambling on about her.

It looks like she got over him !!
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/4 ... -Blackburn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessa_Wyatt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:13 am

Not Mrs Bob has very kindly consented to becoming Mrs Bob. I'm very happy about this. I am however, not very happy about the quotes I've been getting from wedding venues. Twice yesterday I had to sit down whilst gulping air and fighting a rising feeling of panic.

I mentioned this to my daughter who thought I was joking as her best friend, and I quote directly here, "Spent more than that on her dress". Its a different world out there.....
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 am

Congrats Bob. My advice is bugger off abroad and do it and don't invite anyone. Saves hassle, money and sanity.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:28 am

Bijou Bob wrote:Not Mrs Bob has very kindly consented to becoming Mrs Bob. I'm very happy about this. I am however, not very happy about the quotes I've been getting from wedding venues. Twice yesterday I had to sit down whilst gulping air and fighting a rising feeling of panic.

I mentioned this to my daughter who thought I was joking as her best friend, and I quote directly here, "Spent more than that on her dress". Its a different world out there.....
Big congrats to both of you.

The venue is only the start of the expense though. You'll be needing a decent photographer as well, for example. :roll:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Congratulations, BB, and the best of luck. I must admit my most recent wedding was a very small affair at my son's house. Not only was the price right, but it was far more enjoyable than my earlier extravaganza.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:13 pm

Congratulations Bob. Great news.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Congratulations Bijou!! My advice, like AT mentioned is to get wed abroad. I got married in St Lucia, they organise everything and it's the best thing I ever did

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Cheers all. We've looked at venues abroad but it's a logistical nightmare trying to get family there together. Somewhere local and informal is looking favourite. Not of course, that it's my decision.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Keep to that idea, BB, it's the only way to avoid the wedding sharks. As you've already found out many of them charge more than a deposit on a house, which is just plain ludicrous! As far as going abroad and then inviting people to the event I find the height of rudeness (unless you are paying for their travel and accommodation expenses). Many couples here do that dastardly deed - but travelling to some exotic South Sea island or somewhere in South East Asia to just attend some poor sod's wedding? It's an expensive exercise. Add to that passports and visas and arrangements at home and it becomes a trial.

Whatever you do, BB, I wish you and your bank manager well (as well as your b-to-b) and hope you have a long and happy union. Cheers. :drink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:57 pm

here's a tip.. when hiring a venue or an item - don't say it's for a wedding... just say it's for a family function.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:52 am

See, when we got married we were really skint. Getting married abroad was the best option for us. We rented 4 villas, all with private pools and on the same street. Once averaged out it cost less than £150 a head, plus flights at about £100 each. We paid for any empty rooms and provided much of the food and drink. We also planned our wedding date around the families.

Worked out to be a cheap summer holiday for folk and not much more expensive than a couple of B&B nights and petrol in the UK. As a couple we saved thousands. We had about 35 people there and the wedding reception was in the 300 year old farmhouse I was staying in. Massive BBQ, bins filled with ice and bottles of booze and a pool to escape the 40c heat. The best bit was we had everyone together for a week and then we stayed on for another week for a honeymoon.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:03 am

That's exactly what we were thinking AT. We found a luxury villa for 21 in Portugal but it would have to be school holidays, which means flights are around £250 each. The idea was to pay for the villa, beer and food for the week, but for folk to pay for their flights. That meant a grand for some. Bloody nightmare trying to find a week that everyone could make as well and we would then have transfers from the airport etc to sort. Thanks for the tips folks. No doubt there'll be an update at some stage!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:19 am

Bijou Bob wrote:That's exactly what we were thinking AT. We found a luxury villa for 21 in Portugal but it would have to be school holidays, which means flights are around £250 each. The idea was to pay for the villa, beer and food for the week, but for folk to pay for their flights. That meant a grand for some. Bloody nightmare trying to find a week that everyone could make as well and we would then have transfers from the airport etc to sort. Thanks for the tips folks. No doubt there'll be an update at some stage!
If you think I'm paying a grand just to fly to your wedding you must be mad.

Madder than a mad woman who thinks mad people are out to get them mad .... & that is very mad indeed.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 am

My Brother in law got married two years ago at The Fir Grove Hotel in Warrinton. Summer Wedding package there cost just under £7,000. Then they had a honeymoon in Venice. It was beautifully done and they had around 120 guests in the evening, I still think the whole getting married abroad thing was better, cos you have your honeymoon combined in the whole package.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:31 am

Bijou Bob wrote:That's exactly what we were thinking AT. We found a luxury villa for 21 in Portugal but it would have to be school holidays, which means flights are around £250 each. The idea was to pay for the villa, beer and food for the week, but for folk to pay for their flights. That meant a grand for some. Bloody nightmare trying to find a week that everyone could make as well and we would then have transfers from the airport etc to sort. Thanks for the tips folks. No doubt there'll be an update at some stage!
Good luck with it. The thing I learnt from it all is not to try and please everyone. We allowed our date to be dictated (which was fine for us), but we just said "this is what we want to do. It will cost you x amount, would you like to come?" We explained we wouldn't be upset if anyone couldn't come and we had a friend and her kids that couldn't afford it that we planned to paid for anyway. Most people saw it as a holiday and somewhere they hadn't been before.

If you do go abroad for it, make sure you get multiple copies of the marriage certificate whilst there. Much easier than if you need them later. Certainly made our life easier when getting visas here.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:22 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
If you think I'm paying a grand just to fly to your wedding you must be mad.

Madder than a mad woman who thinks mad people are out to get them mad .... & that is very mad indeed.
:lol: you think paying a grand to attend his wedding is bad? Spare a thought for those of us who've already paid to attend the last two! I swear he's collecting toasters
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"