the Photo thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: the Photo thread

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Had an offer through early last week via a voucher site for an A1 canvas for £19. I didn't think it would be up to much, sort of Asda quality or worse, but arrived home yesterday to find it in the porch. The quality is really good, not quite the same standard as our local professional printers who did my others, but very close.

Aaaaanyway, the same deal is now available on Wowcher. Worth a go if you want one doing and certainly some of the efforts above would look great on a wall.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Had an offer through early last week via a voucher site for an A1 canvas for £19. I didn't think it would be up to much, sort of Asda quality or worse, but arrived home yesterday to find it in the porch. The quality is really good, not quite the same standard as our local professional printers who did my others, but very close.

Aaaaanyway, the same deal is now available on Wowcher. Worth a go if you want one doing and certainly some of the efforts above would look great on a wall.

A1 size?? that's pretty fecking big!!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Yup A1. It's a big 'un.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 pm

what's the subject matter of this huge wall-feature photo?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:44 pm

thebish wrote:what's the subject matter of this huge wall-feature photo?
His resignation letter from the transfer thread!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Windermere lake, as it happens. A large boat, some swans and glinting sunshine.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Windermere lake, as it happens. A large boat, some swans and glinting sunshine.
Haven't we just signed him on loan? :conf:
Hope is what keeps us going.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I'll put this in here and hope no-one minds.

It must be over 30 years since I last had a poster / image of Jake Burns on my wall, and that's not about to change. But if it was, I thought that this was pretty good.

May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Had a superb day out in the Lakes yesterday. Started at Seathwaite by 9.30am moved onto to Hardknott Pass over to Eskdale. Wasdale and Wastwater then back over Ulpha Fell to Devoke water and home via High Newton. All these were photo stops rather than walking venues but I did manage to clock up 6 miles walk during the day. This was the first photo off the camera. Birks Bridge over the River Duddon near Seathwaite. It was perilous getting this image! The rocks were steep and slippy but the water really was this colour. (F22, iso100, 24mm, 2.5seconds with an 8 stop ND filter over the glass)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:51 pm

It's just an opinon mate, and I might be speaking from a painting point of view, but that beautiful wild image just doesn't look right with the glazed water. Is that a lens thing ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:07 pm

aye - it's the 8 stop ND filter which makes (basically) puts sunglasses on the lens to make the scene darker - thus forcing the camera to take a much longer exposure - and as the water is moving it becomes blurred/glassy...

I warned the list we'd be getting this when Clapton announced he'd bought the filter!

(funnily enough, I bought one the other day with the intention of using it to photograph the partial solar eclipse later this month...)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:It's just an opinon mate, and I might be speaking from a painting point of view, but that beautiful wild image just doesn't look right with the glazed water. Is that a lens thing ?
I take your point, and to some extent agree with it, but for comparison here's another image at the same session without the filter. I like the first one better I think, but will be using both.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:17 pm

I think I prefer the latter - the colours in the rocks are fresher/sharper/more vivid - and there is what looks like a purplish colour-cast in the filtered one...

but both are good... the latter one still gives the appearance of movement as there is some blur - you've clearly not gone for very fast shutter speed... (and rightly so, I think)

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:21 pm

thebish wrote:I think I prefer the latter - the colours in the rocks are fresher/sharper/more vivid - and there is what looks like a purplish colour-cast in the filtered one...

but both are good... the latter one still gives the appearance of movement as there is some blur - you've clearly not gone for very fast shutter speed... (and rightly so, I think)
I was going to say something similar but I really don't like the first one. IMO the second is much better.

Throw your new toy in the bin. :D
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 pm

All opinions gratefully received. I confess I am finding this filter set it a whole new challenge. I have a landscape photography course (only one day) booked later in the year and we need to take camera, lens and ND filter set, so needs must, but I do like them and the effects produced. Must use with a bit of subtlety though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 pm

I could live with the water in the first one, if the rest of the photo had the clarity of the second - think it'd be quite artistic. :-)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:42 am

You're quite right Worthy, and I wonder about spending £1200 on a lens and then putting a cheap bit of plastic on the front. It is perceived wisdom to use a good quality skylight filter to protect the lens but for years I have avoided doing that, but now happily put this filter on the front, which is bound to degrade the image in at least some small (but visible) way.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 am

I prefer the rocks and the bridge on the first one, but the appearance of the water on the second one. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 am

clapton is god wrote:You're quite right Worthy, and I wonder about spending £1200 on a lens and then putting a cheap bit of plastic on the front. It is perceived wisdom to use a good quality skylight filter to protect the lens but for years I have avoided doing that, but now happily put this filter on the front, which is bound to degrade the image in at least some small (but visible) way.
I think the chief problem is the colour cast the filter has added (also - some very light fringing around the bridge?) This could be removed with photoediting software fairly easily, though...

was it a cheapy-cheap one? Hoya do a very reasonable budget range below their pro-range...

I just bought a Hoya NDX400 filter (9 stops) for £26...

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:13 am

thebish wrote:
clapton is god wrote:You're quite right Worthy, and I wonder about spending £1200 on a lens and then putting a cheap bit of plastic on the front. It is perceived wisdom to use a good quality skylight filter to protect the lens but for years I have avoided doing that, but now happily put this filter on the front, which is bound to degrade the image in at least some small (but visible) way.
I think the chief problem is the colour cast the filter has added (also - some very light fringing around the bridge?) This could be removed with photoediting software fairly easily, though...

was it a cheapy-cheap one? Hoya do a very reasonable budget range below their pro-range...

I just bought a Hoya NDX400 filter (9 stops) for £26...
Yep, chromatic aberration (purple fringing around the top of the bridge. Easy to remove, but it shouldn't be there. I got the Cokin Z-Pro set of ND filters but had to get the 8 stop separate from that, and yes, it was fairly cheap at around a tenner. Its a square format 100mm jobbie. Might have to invest in the Lee equivalent if I want to keep doing these water shots.