The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Not done much cycling since the new arrival, miss it loads.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm

I cycled on some roads today - which qualifies me for this thread! :-)

it was such a warm fab day that I drove across to Newton Abbot - left the car in the church car park and cycled between all my stops around newton abbott and kingsteignton and the hospital...

it's weird getting on a peddle bike after a m/bike.. I kept trying to turn on the indicators for one thing - and it feels so light and exposed! yikes! also - no mirrors!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Tomorrow I'm going to the Velopark at the Olympic Park. Really looking forward to it.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 am

Had a real blast doing this yesterday. This new track is a mile long circuit and is situated outside the Velodrome at the Olympic Park. Our club had a closed session which was marred by the driving wind and pouring rain but I still got 20 laps in before going indoors and watching a coached session inside the Velodrome.

If you are in London and fancy an alternative day out you can pay less than £10 to ride the road track or the BMX track and get a feel for what it was like in 2012. Great experience.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:01 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Had a real blast doing this yesterday. This new track is a mile long circuit and is situated outside the Velodrome at the Olympic Park. Our club had a closed session which was marred by the driving wind and pouring rain but I still got 20 laps in before going indoors and watching a coached session inside the Velodrome.

If you are in London and fancy an alternative day out you can pay less than £10 to ride the road track or the BMX track and get a feel for what it was like in 2012. Great experience.
Sounds good. A mate of mine occasionally books the manchester velodrome for an hour and invites people along, might take him up on it next time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:21 pm

I cycled 18miles today - which for me is a feck long way!!!

I cycled the length of the fantastic purpose-built off-road cycle path from Okehampton to Lydford and back again... it takes in some spectacular Dartmoor scenery and crosses two viaducts - including this one - the Meldon viaduct...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:51 pm

That looks bloody spectacular Bish. I reckon you'd hardly notice the 18 miles with views like that!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:11 pm

all this talk of arses elsewhere...

today I binned off the scaffold pole that came with my bike in favour of a much more capacious, sprung, gel-padded comfy-seat!

my arse will be eternally grateful, not to mention the undercarrige!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm going to get the other half a bike for xmas, aware it's a present you get a 10 year old but whatever it's difficult to think of things. (she is over 18 I can confirm)

Thinking a nice-looking ladies hybrid would do the job, anyone got a good lady who pootles about to, from & round the park or whatever and has a recommendation? If they're tall then even better. My risk is doing it as a surprise could be a disaster as need to try it really.

I've not ridden since I passed my driving test at 17 so I'm shamefully out of touch with bikes really
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:41 pm

I've just installed a 2000lm CREE XML T6 LED BICYCLE FRONT HEADLIGHT.... that I bought off ebay...

I looked at it a bit disappointed about how small it was - then turned it on - and - FECK ME!! - that's bright!! my EYES!!!!!

I then shone it at the missus to show her how bright it is - she is now blind!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:That looks bloody spectacular Bish. I reckon you'd hardly notice the 18 miles with views like that!
Yeah - just beautiful... :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 pm

skateboarders pwn road cyclists! :D

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:24 pm

^ I bet they don't look that cool going up the hill :|
Hope is what keeps us going.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 pm

I came across this on the BBC web site this morning.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/31641006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What an amazing woman!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun May 10, 2015 8:58 pm

This Thursday, pearl izumi series kicks off in Ryde. Televised on ITV 4 (on fri ? :conf: ). Wiggins rumoured to be appearing with his new team, but I'm a little sceptical as he goes for the hour the week after. Anyway, the teams will be riding the wrong way on Union St, which means going upwards instead of downwards. Legs will be shredded..............

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Just bought this at Evans on Deansgate. Its years many since I had a decent bike! I did buy a mountain bike around three years ago but it was totally the wrong bike for me and what I wanted to use it for. It was like riding through treacle and was on eBay within a couple of weeks. This looks more like it and should be just the job for my needs, which don't involve a daily commute and will be mostly on canal tracks and park rides in daylight and in fine weather.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hoy ... e-ec051518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:25 pm

I got a mountain bike a couple of years back and like you soon got fed up with the effort to get anywhere when on the roads

As I'm not daft enough to use it properly, I have considered a hybrid

I'm not interested in buying one and then adding to, nor am I gonna spend the same on a bike as I would on a car, so 4/500 quid

Last years model would be fine

Reco's please

By the way, brakes, disc or pads?
Sto ut Serviam

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:41 pm

I researched the hell out of this one before buying. Went to Edinburgh co-op in Rusholme this morning with Mrs C looking for one for her, but came away without buying. Straight to Evans where she tried another but still didn't buy. I bought mine within seconds but knew what I wanted. Might have to put a different saddle on it as this one seems to have razor blades fitted. Staff at both shops top class! This Hoy has hydraulic brakes but there's a slightly cheaper option with pads.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Looks OK having spent a couple of hours on the google

For value, the Decathlon ones get good reviews - any reason you avoided them?

I'll get my Trek out a few times and see if I think I'll use a fresh one

Let me know how yours runs?
Sto ut Serviam

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:05 pm

The thing with bikes is, unless you're really anal about having all the latest shit, you always get miles more bang for yer buck 2nd hand. Try pinkbike over gumtree or ebay, they are usually more clued up about what they're flogging. Helps if you have an idea what you want first tho... There was an abundance £500 bikes going cheap that folk snapped up with their cycle-to-work scheme then never used em...

Then again if you fancy having another crack at proper biking I've got a 2014 transition covert for sale. Let you have it for £2K! Bargain