Which town in the UK is the biggest crap hole you been to?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 30, 2007 11:49 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:I'll second Commie's Bradford. Followed closely by Castleford, Halifax and Manchester.
Some crackin' pubs in Halifax between the station and The Shay, though I've never really ventured in to the town centre or any residential areas.
Little Green Man wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote: case closed?
You won't be far off.

If Wigan station is anything to go by, the town must be an utter crapheap. I once watched a minging, Kappa-trackie clad family of father, grandfather and grandson/daughter (never did suss the gender of the latter) get on there, and sit opposite me. They immediately cracked open a can of Miller each and started supping. The ticket inspector came up and they asked for two adults and a child fares. The inspector said if that was the case then he'd have to take the can off the child, otherwise they'd have to pay three full fares. It took them about five minutes to come to a decision. But then if you've only got 15 brain cells between you...
To be fair, Wigan station is regularly rammed with Scousers who have been changing trains, so it might not have been a completely reliable representation :wink:
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed May 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:I'll second Commie's Bradford. Followed closely by Castleford, Halifax and Manchester.
Some crackin' pubs in Halifax between the station and The Shay, though I've never really ventured in to the town centre or any residential areas.
Little Green Man wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote: case closed?
You won't be far off.

If Wigan station is anything to go by, the town must be an utter crapheap. I once watched a minging, Kappa-trackie clad family of father, grandfather and grandson/daughter (never did suss the gender of the latter) get on there, and sit opposite me. They immediately cracked open a can of Miller each and started supping. The ticket inspector came up and they asked for two adults and a child fares. The inspector said if that was the case then he'd have to take the can off the child, otherwise they'd have to pay three full fares. It took them about five minutes to come to a decision. But then if you've only got 15 brain cells between you...

To be fair, Wigan station is regularly rammed with Scousers who have been changing trains, so it might not have been a completely reliable representation :wink:

You made a very wise decision.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Wed May 30, 2007 12:22 pm

My Vote goes to

Tonbridge
Slough
Milton Keynes
The "New" Hastings

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 12:24 pm

Leeds is crap. It's like Manchester's chavvy little brother. Walking round with a gangsta swagger swathed in designed labels it's picked up from a designer outlet village or ebay. Mouthing off about how "wicked" it is and how it's got some "bling".

Leeds thinks it's better than it is, it's Jade Goody in Armani.

Move beyond the Headrow, Boar Lane and Vicar lane and you you are either met with 100,000 overpriced anonymous flats or you move in to ramshackle terraced housing inhabitted by students or the socially excluded. Beyond that are enclaves of housing the price of which just adds to the Leeds ethos which was epitomised by the 80s character "loadsamoney", £300k for a 2 up 2 down terraced house in Chapeltown even has londoners pissing their sides.

Visit any Leeds city centre bar and you'll be greeted by the 4 same groups skinheaded retards in lacoste trainers, pissed up hen parties, pricks who think that because they make £20k a year running a branch of Next they are the big man in town or the chinless feck* thrown-up by the city's slpurge of bloodythirsty legal firms.

Outside of teh city centre you're either going to be stuck in a student bar, with students whining about having no money yet pissing it away on beer alcopopos and designer sunglasses, or in a pub so rough that if you don't enter with facial scarring you will leave with it.

Leeds is every bit as repellant as its football club's manager.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed May 30, 2007 12:25 pm

North Shields.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote: Some crackin' pubs in Halifax between the station and The Shay, though I've never really ventured in to the town centre or any residential areas.
there's only 2 - the 3 pigeons or the pump rooms

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed May 30, 2007 12:29 pm

I dunno, I hadn't been in Halifax town centre for over a decade and I was surprised how nice it was. Oh! and you can get hollands pies on the market. Compared with Bradford centre it's head and shoulders above. Bradfords got plans for a lake and garden by the city hall (Weatherfield Crown Court :mrgreen: ) I'd imagine they'll be fishing out the drunks come saturday night.

Outside of the centre Halifax is a real shithole though. Most of it's worse than Manningham.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 12:34 pm

InsaneApache wrote:I dunno, I hadn't been in Halifax town centre for over a decade and I was surprised how nice it was. Oh! and you can get hollands pies on the market. Compared with Bradford centre it's head and shoulders above. Bradfords got plans for a lake and garden by the city hall (Weatherfield Crown Court :mrgreen: ) I'd imagine they'll be fishing out the drunks come saturday night.

Outside of the centre Halifax is a real shithole though. Most of it's worse than Manningham.
where the hell have you been if you think thetown centre is nice - Bei-fecking-rut??

Actually it's only the north side of halifax (ok maybe sidall and southowram too) on the way out towards Keighly and to the windfarm that are truly fecking awful - mixenden, ovenden - it's like soweto

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed May 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Well it's a lot nicer than it was in 1979. :oops:

OK I'll qualify that. Uphill from the Piece Hall is good. I like the way they've cleaned up the old buildings, some of the architecture wouldn't look out of place in Ghent.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed May 30, 2007 12:41 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
InsaneApache wrote:I dunno, I hadn't been in Halifax town centre for over a decade and I was surprised how nice it was. Oh! and you can get hollands pies on the market. Compared with Bradford centre it's head and shoulders above. Bradfords got plans for a lake and garden by the city hall (Weatherfield Crown Court :mrgreen: ) I'd imagine they'll be fishing out the drunks come saturday night.

where the hell have you been if you think thetown centre is nice - Bei-fecking-rut??

Actually it's only the north side of halifax (ok maybe sidall and southowram too) on the way out towards Keighly and to the windfarm that are truly fecking awful - mixenden, ovenden - it's like soweto
No you've got to add to that the west of Halifax straight out of the town centre. Pellon, Gibbet Street, Hopwood Lane, King Cross infact that entire area up to Thrum Hall.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 1:59 pm

InsaneApache wrote:Well it's a lot nicer than it was in 1979. :oops:

OK I'll qualify that. Uphill from the Piece Hall is good. I like the way they've cleaned up the old buildings, some of the architecture wouldn't look out of place in Ghent.
go to specsavers now. It's fecking alwful!!!! The town centre is a litter of poundshops and charity shops, intermingled with Homebargains and Wilkinsons. All surrounding that throwback to the middle ages - the market hall, to this day inhabited by the miscreants, ne'erdowells and lepers of Calderdale who traipse over it's rotting food littered floors.

Piece Hall is a waste. An opportunity missed by narrowminded, backward inbred councillors.

Commercial Street is the only one they've doen anything with. Woolshops is just another featureless pedestrianised town high street scenario.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 30, 2007 2:59 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Leeds is every bit as repellant as its football club's manager.
Who pales in comparison to its chairman.
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... 474#245474

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 30, 2007 3:38 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote: Some crackin' pubs in Halifax between the station and The Shay, though I've never really ventured in to the town centre or any residential areas.
there's only 2 - the 3 pigeons or the pump rooms
Shay Hotel has improved in recent years but the Pump Room is definitely one of the best pubs I've ever experience in terms of the range of ale on offer and quality of food that is served.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 3:43 pm

the shay is a pit!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 30, 2007 4:15 pm

communistworkethic wrote:the shay is a pit!
You haven't been for a while, have you? :wink:

Once the council finally sort out their new East Stand, it'll be a particularly smart little ground

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 4:26 pm

They've agreed to sort it out, they're giving £100k to the shay stadium trust IIRC

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed May 30, 2007 4:33 pm

communistworkethic wrote:They've agreed to sort it out, they're giving £100k to the shay stadium trust IIRC
The council are arranging the work. Renogotiating the lease with the Trust which will free up more unused land on the site for "commercial development" whatever that means.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 30, 2007 4:34 pm

No doubt clearing the hill and the old car park behind the pub

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 pm

We should have a thread for the whites in the white rose county. A proper clique. :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 30, 2007 5:38 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
cowdrill wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
cowdrill wrote:tbh most of what ive seen of London is pretty crappy
ahem.... Enfield's quite nice! :mrgreen:

not seen that bit

dont think i ever will either!
In case you never make it.

One third green belt, lovely. More green space than any other London Borough.

http://www.enfield.gov.uk/About%20Enfie ... n.htm#P0_0
prefer Barnet meself :mrgreen: