Crap Towns

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Crap Towns

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Wrexham in Wales
How very dare you !?!?

Mr Hopeful & I will be round your quick-sticks.
:oops: Ahh sorry Bobo. It might well be lovely now. I obviously saw the worst bits during my 2 visits there in the 1980s
Wrexham ain't that bad actually, tis better tha ours
I first moved to Wrexham in 1989, but only stayed a few months. I moved back to the area in 2002 and was pleasantly surprised at the improvements that had been made. It was a dump and is now no different to most other small/medium sized towns. There are a lot worse that's for sure.

Redcar anyone?
Ellesmere Port?

Redcar stinks. Really really stinks. Not in a good way. :vomit:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Plymouth is far from pleasant too.
Businesswoman of the year.

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Sat May 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Prufrock wrote:I thought Wolverhampton city centre was nice! Roughly a billion times nicer than its shithole neighbour Brum. It was sunny like, but still, even Paris was grim in the rain.
What made you think that? Willenhall we worked in, what a dive. I've worked all over the UK, but Wolverhampton is the one place I never wanna go back to

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Might have been mentioned already, but Jaywick in Essex, the most deprived place in the UK. Parts of it are virtually a shanty town. Have a butcher's on Google Streetview at Brooklands Gardens, Jaywick: a friend of mine, a painter, was talking of buying a house on that road because it was cheap and next to the sea. It's cheap for a reason, idiot!

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun May 06, 2012 5:32 pm

tripod wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I thought Wolverhampton city centre was nice! Roughly a billion times nicer than its shithole neighbour Brum. It was sunny like, but still, even Paris was grim in the rain.
What made you think that? Willenhall we worked in, what a dive. I've worked all over the UK, but Wolverhampton is the one place I never wanna go back to
Me too, but since that's where Mrs Hopeful's from and my in-laws still live, resistence is futile.
Hope is what keeps us going.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
tripod wrote:
Me too, but since that's where Mrs Hopeful's from and my in-laws still live, resistence is futile.
aye... too true! My mother was born in Blackhalve Lane, Wednesfield.... I have no urge to return to the place of my ancestors!!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 am

Mrs Zulu hails from Walsall and has a sister living in Willenhall so I will maintain a dignified silence here.

feck it! Not possible. Willenhall is a complete shithole. There, I've said it.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 am

I grew up in Croydon. That's got to hold some serious points in Crap Town Top Trumps.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
tripod wrote:
Maybe from now on you tell her that you'll stay at home when she goes back to her old place, because it's a shithole ??

Let me know when you are telling her. I'll pop down to watch !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
tripod wrote:
Maybe from now on you tell her that you'll stay at home when she goes back to her old place, because it's a shithole ??

Let me know when you are telling her. I'll pop down to watch !!
I plucked up the courage to broach the subject with Mrs Hopeful, telling her that we were discussing the relative beauty of Wolverhampton. She reliably informs me that there are nice bits and less nice bits and guess which bit she's claims to be from? I decided to leave it there. 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
I plucked up the courage to broach the subject with Mrs Hopeful, telling her that we were discussing the relative beauty of Wolverhampton. She reliably informs me that there are nice bits and less nice bits and guess which bit she's claims to be from? I decided to leave it there. 8)
Is she from Tettenhall? From memory that's pretty much as good as Wolverhampton gets. It's like Smithills - perfectly smart and presentable (the real Smithills, that is, not the current estate agent's Smithills which now appears to run down to as far as Eskrick St.)
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Is she from Tettenhall? From memory that's pretty much as good as Wolverhampton gets. It's like Smithills - perfectly smart and presentable (the real Smithills, that is, not the current estate agent's Smithills which now appears to run down to as far as Eskrick St.)
That, to be fair, is an OK area. The A41 route into town.

Everywhere has to have some OK places. Where would all the prison warders live ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
That, to be fair, is an OK area. The A41 route into town.

Everywhere has to have some OK places. Where would all the prison warders live ?
Well, very close actually. (I'm impressed and surprised with both of your knowledge of the home of the inferior Wanderers. Are you sure that you're not hiding something?). Mrs H is from Castlecroft, just off the A41, about 2 miles from Tettenhall.

The Wolves training ground was literally across the road from her parent's house, so as a child, Mrs H used to wander over and watch "our Emlyn" and the gang train. Apparently she was the only one who ever turned up to watch them train.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 08, 2012 11:28 am

Always hopeful wrote: Well, very close actually. (I'm impressed and surprised with both of your knowledge of the home of the inferior Wanderers. Are you sure that you're not hiding something?). Mrs H is from Castlecroft, just off the A41, about 2 miles from Tettenhall.
Well, Bobo describes it as being on the way into town, I prefer to refer to it as being on the way back out! ;)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote: .... the real Smithills, that is, not the current estate agent's Smithills which now appears to run down to as far as Eskrick St.)
Smithills starts at Moss Bank Way (you know, the single lane, dual carraigeway).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 08, 2012 11:38 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: .... the real Smithills, that is, not the current estate agent's Smithills which now appears to run down to as far as Eskrick St.)
Smithills starts at Moss Bank Way (you know, the single lane, dual carraigeway).
The the old bus terminus at the top of Halliwell ( Ainsworth Arms) was what we Halliwellites used to define the start of Smithills, with Bluebell Forest as a border..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 08, 2012 11:38 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Don't tell me, tell the estate agents. When I was looking to move back to Bolton I was astonished at what they were trying to pass off as being in Smithills.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Don't tell me, tell the estate agents. When I was looking to move back to Bolton I was astonished at what they were trying to pass off as being in Smithills.
Bit like estate agents around here, passing Little Hulton off as Worsley
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed May 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Mrs Zulu hails from Walsall and has a sister living in Willenhall so I will maintain a dignified silence here.

feck it! Not possible. Willenhall is a complete shithole. There, I've said it.
I wrote a 'community play' for Willenhall... Basically, a professional team of writer, director, musicians, designer etc etc go to a particular community (often, as in this case, a deprived one) and recruit local people to act, sing, play music, make costumes, build sets, sell tickets etc for a play about their community...

In the end, in some way, or other, several hundred people are brought into discovering a creativity, hobby, passing interest, whatever, in something they didn't know they had - and have showed it off to a couple of thousand others from the place they live... A kind of irrigation of creativity of a place where it's hidden and needs to discover an outlet...

The play was called 'Humpshire', the local nickname for the town, and was performed at the Willenhall Community School...

I went onto write a second for Walsall called 'Junction Ten'...

I really enjoyed doing both and, in both, discovered I really liked Holden's beer - especially, the 'spesh...' :D

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
The the old bus terminus at the top of Halliwell ( Ainsworth Arms) was what we Halliwellites used to define the start of Smithills, with Bluebell Forest as a border..
He's reet, you know. I know lads who live round there, bang on & on about Smithills when they live in Halliwell :lol:
Troll and proud of it.