Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 24, 2012 4:57 pm

I read:
With the tourist boom that Croatia has undergone the last few years, there hasn't been much incentive to keep prices down especially for hotels. Big destinations such Dubrovnik and Hvar have seen the steepest hikes but hotel prices have been creeping up everywhere. Yet, Croatia still offers good value for money in comparison to other Mediterranean beach destinations especially if you avoid July and August when prices are at their highest.

Accommodation Prices

Except in Zagreb and some five-star hotels, accommodation is priced according to season. The most expensive season is a six week period beginng around mid-July and ending at the end of August. June and September are less, April, May and October are cheaper still and the rest of the year is a real bargain. Zagreb and Dubrovnik are the most expensive, followed by Istria, Kvarner and Dalmatia.

In high season, expect to pay
€350-450 for a double in a luxury five-star hotel,
€200-400 in a four-star hotel,
€85-175 for three star hotels
€45-60 in the two-star places.

Remember prices are up to 40% lower off-season!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Recently returned from my tour of the East Coast. Did a lot of the standard stuff in the Cities: Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Then picked up a rental car in DC, went to a shooting range in West Virginia which was a helluva lot of fun! Then as Montreal Wanderer recommended, drove the blue ridge parkway which is highly recommended (particularly to bikers). 469 miles through the mountains with great views, and places to stop off along the way, such as Mabry Mill and Shenado Lake. Came across a fair few deer along the way too. Then to Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta and Orlando.

Now just booked my next trip for in a couple of weeks, Krakow, Prague, Berlin, Bruges and Rotterdam. Then still a trip to Italy later in August to visit family. Trying to pack it all in before I enter the real world full time in September!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Beefheart wrote:Recently returned from my tour of the East Coast. Did a lot of the standard stuff in the Cities: Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Then picked up a rental car in DC, went to a shooting range in West Virginia which was a helluva lot of fun! Then as Montreal Wanderer recommended, drove the blue ridge parkway which is highly recommended (particularly to bikers). 469 miles through the mountains with great views, and places to stop off along the way, such as Mabry Mill and Shenado Lake. Came across a fair few deer along the way too. Then to Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta and Orlando.

Now just booked my next trip for in a couple of weeks, Krakow, Prague, Berlin, Bruges and Rotterdam. Then still a trip to Italy later in August to visit family. Trying to pack it all in before I enter the real world full time in September!
Sounds a bit more exotic then my trip to The Isle of Wight will be this summer! Enjoy the travels you have left!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Beefheart wrote:Recently returned from my tour of the East Coast. Did a lot of the standard stuff in the Cities: Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Then picked up a rental car in DC, went to a shooting range in West Virginia which was a helluva lot of fun! Then as Montreal Wanderer recommended, drove the blue ridge parkway which is highly recommended (particularly to bikers). 469 miles through the mountains with great views, and places to stop off along the way, such as Mabry Mill and Shenado Lake. Came across a fair few deer along the way too. Then to Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta and Orlando.

Glad to be of service, Beefy. I've driven over most of the US and Canada in the last five decades. There are some very special highways and I guess the Blue Ridge Parkway is one of them. The West is perhaps more spectacular with the Banff-Jasper highway one of my favourites. You see a lot more than deer out there. I remember Bruce being a bit startled when I posted a picture of one of the local fauna.

So what were the other highlights of the trip?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 am

This sounds amazing. How did you find the Memphis, Atlanta and Orlando? I've been to Orlando and Miami and loved both, although only spent a few days in Orlando, definitely want to return.

Not this summer, but booked my next holiday for April next year. Going to New York for 2 nights then onto Hawaii for 10 nights. Can't wait.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 am

I got back from a week in New York last week. Loved it as usual.

Have done the Banff and Jasper a few years ago, and would love to go back. As Monty says, the wildlife is incredible. Saw a couple of bears at the side of the road, an eagle swooping down infront of the car clutching a salmon, and several elk.

Last summer I went to the US and travelled a lot on the West coast. Absolutely loved that holiday just for the contrast in the scenery, from the cities of LA and San Fran, the coast between, the Yosemite Valley, and then the desert out to Vegas.

Anyway, am off to Girona and Barcelona at the weekend.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:51 am

Any pics to share, Beefy?

Why Rotterdam, btw? It's a fecking toilet. :hang: There are so many better places for you to visit close by, Den Haag for example.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:06 am

Rotterdam sounds like "ferry terminal" at the end of that list. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 am

Worthy4England wrote:Rotterdam sounds like "ferry terminal" at the end of that list. :-)
True, but if finishing in Bruges (a truly stunning little place) then why travel up to Rotterdam for the boat when you're right by Zeebrugge? :conf:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Rotterdam sounds like "ferry terminal" at the end of that list. :-)
True, but if finishing in Bruges (a truly stunning little place) then why travel up to Rotterdam for the boat when you're right by Zeebrugge? :conf:
Dunno got me beat. :-) Agree about Bruges btw. :-)

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:02 pm

So many questions!

If you love the blues (as I do), then you'll love memphis. There's a place called beale street, which is full of blues bars with great live acts and the street is all closed off. You can get a big cup of beer for 5 dollars or so and just walk between places. Atlanta was just where we got a greyhound to orlando, and orlando is just for the theme parks.

There are pics, but I'm now sure how to upload them to here.

As for Rotterdam, I don't know why...we just picked a few places and someone wanted to go there, I forget who.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:10 pm

jimbo wrote:I got back from a week in New York last week. Loved it as usual.

Have done the Banff and Jasper a few years ago, and would love to go back. As Monty says, the wildlife is incredible. Saw a couple of bears at the side of the road, an eagle swooping down infront of the car clutching a salmon, and several elk.

Last summer I went to the US and travelled a lot on the West coast. Absolutely loved that holiday just for the contrast in the scenery, from the cities of LA and San Fran, the coast between, the Yosemite Valley, and then the desert out to Vegas.
I have done that trip though on a couple of occasions. The scenery is fabulous although I was not all that impressed with Death Valley. It was a bit like being on the surface of the moon but with a temperature of some 45 degrees. Next time you are out in Las Vegas pop over to Utah and check out Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon (it can all be done in a day trip).

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm off to Dublin this weekend, booked the Guinness factory and I've left it to the lady to decide what else we do but I've not much confidence with some of the things she's coming out with (like a spa!)

Anyone got any suggestions? Other than getting pissed?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Gail Platz wrote:I'm off to Dublin this weekend, booked the Guinness factory and I've left it to the lady to decide what else we do but I've not much confidence with some of the things she's coming out with (like a spa!)

Anyone got any suggestions? Other than getting pissed?
The IOpen-Top bus tours are good ... though a lot depends on the weather.

Combine a pub-crawl with a literary piece of fun with a guided tour based on Joyce's Ullyses.

If you fancy a short trip out (& have a car) then try Powerscourt House, it's a lovely place. http://www.powerscourt.ie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... & a quick tip I was once given by a barman who refused to serve me murphy's agter he heard me say I'd already drunk Guinness that evening ... don't mix them. They are a different consistency and they curdle inside you. The result makes the word 'pebbledashing' seem awfully inadequate. :cry:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Just back from Girona and Barcelona. Been to Barca a few times, but always ignored Girona. Had 6 nights there this time and absolutely loved the place. It's a real gem with great food and drink in a great medieval city. Can't recommend it highly enough. Nice towns round and about to visit as well.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:17 am

Well, the day has arrived that we start our family holiday.

Off to Egypt this afternoon for 2 weeks.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Have fun...when you get back it'll be nearly time for mine :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Have a lovely time Colin! Will be quiet without you here ;) Hope you have set your video to record all that crucial TV you will be missing! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:10 am

Next year's holiday's sorted. Playing golf in Marbella. Splendid! :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Next year's holiday's sorted. Playing golf in Marbella. Splendid! :D
Jammy bugger - I always get kidthwarted.