The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:10 pm

:lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:31 pm

On the subject of the EU it seems there is a case for determining when international treaties can be broken, so long ECRH :D
Large numbers of journalists were on the scene quickly and were corralled into a holding area to the west of the front of the embassy, while dozens of Iranian protesters also arrived near the embassy and remained there throughout the siege. Shortly after the beginning of the crisis, the British government's emergency committee COBRA, was assembled. COBRA is made up of ministers, civil servants and expert advisers—including representatives from the police and the armed forces. The meeting was chaired by William Whitelaw, the Home Secretary, as Margaret Thatcher, the Prime Minister, was unavailable. The Iranian government accused the British and American governments of sponsoring the attack as revenge for the ongoing siege of the US Embassy in Tehran. Given the lack of co-operation from Iran, Thatcher—who was kept apprised of the situation by Whitelaw—determined that British law would be applied to the embassy, despite the Vienna Convention, under which the embassy is considered Iranian soil.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:08 am

Is that Yvonne Fletcher Hobes? Coz that went well.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:30 am

What about the ECHR don't you like Hoboh?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:40 am

Beefheart wrote:What about the ECHR don't you like Hoboh?
It protects human rights.

Hoboh thinks human tights are ok - but only for people he approves of. Not foreigners. With beards.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:25 am

human tights???

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh God. How long do you have? :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:41 pm

I firmly believe that ultimate power in law should rest with the UK judiciary and elected Parliament, not some foreign Judge who may have feck all idea of life in the UK. It is bad enough some people hold the view some of our own judges are out of touch never mind foreigners!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Hoboh wrote:
I firmly believe that ultimate power in law should rest with the UK judiciary and elected Parliament, not some foreign Judge who may have feck all idea of life in the UK. It is bad enough some people hold the view some of our own judges are out of touch never mind foreigners!
Ok, but you haven't said which bit you disagree with.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:12 pm

OK, let's get this thread on track .... you would, wouldn't you ?

Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Never in a million years.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Oddly enough, it's almost like they wrote the HRA with exactly that aim in mind!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Oddly enough, it's almost like they wrote the HRA with exactly that aim in mind!
If that was their aim then they missed the target by a country mile! Should take shooting lessons.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Bloody Hell!!!
There has been a recent epidemic of blasphemy charges in Pakistan. Forty-eight people have been killed before they could get to a trial. Many more are being prosecuted. It is difficult for a brave lawyer to defend a client, because if you repeat what the person is accused of saying, that is blasphemous too.
If you think I am joking, not long ago a prominent human rights lawyer representing an English professor accused of making a blasphemous Facebook post was shot dead – after the prosecution lawyers had threatened to kill him in front of a judge. A politician who discussed reforming the law on TV is now being prosecuted for what he said, and two others were assassinated (one by his own security guard, who is now lauded as a hero).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Hoboh wrote:Bloody Hell!!!
There has been a recent epidemic of blasphemy charges in Pakistan. Forty-eight people have been killed before they could get to a trial. Many more are being prosecuted. It is difficult for a brave lawyer to defend a client, because if you repeat what the person is accused of saying, that is blasphemous too.
If you think I am joking, not long ago a prominent human rights lawyer representing an English professor accused of making a blasphemous Facebook post was shot dead – after the prosecution lawyers had threatened to kill him in front of a judge. A politician who discussed reforming the law on TV is now being prosecuted for what he said, and two others were assassinated (one by his own security guard, who is now lauded as a hero).
That's why we have conventions on human rights, such as freedom of Expression...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
That's why we have conventions on human rights, such as freedom of Expression...
Yeah, that's right what about their right to a life never mind a right to a family life.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
If that was their aim then they missed the target by a country mile! Should take shooting lessons.
Compare and contrast.

European Communities Act 1972:

s2(1) All such rights, powers, liabilities, obligations and restrictions from time to time created or arising under the Treaties, and all such remedies and procedures from time to time provided for by or under the Treaties, as in accordance with the Treaties are without further enactment to be given legal effect or used in the United Kingdom shall be recognised and available in law, and be enforced, allowed and followed accordingly; and the expression 'enforceable Community right' and similar expressions shall be read as referring to one to which this subsection applies.

Human Rights Act 1998:

s3(1) So far as it is possible to do so, primary legislation and subordinate legislation must be read and given effect in a way which is compatible with the Convention rights.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Yeah, that's right what about their right to a life never mind a right to a family life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_2_ ... man_Rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
That's in the ECHR too - Article 2...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
That's in the ECHR too - Article 2...
Part of the problem is that while Pakistan voted to adopt the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948, as a country it has never signed the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights. Therefore it is not bound by any of the terms. It has failed to sign a number of other UN Human Rights instruments, but then the same is true of the USA.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.