What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by William the White » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Tonight went to cineworld for Life of Pi. I loved the book. As is so often the case the film disappointed. I think the 3D experience is shite, to be honest. It encourages cheap tricks, and the background looks like a theatrical back cloth and phoney...

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Couple of episodes into House of Cards on Netflix.

So far, I haven't been able to decide whether I like it or not.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 am

William the White wrote:Tonight went to cineworld for Life of Pi. I loved the book. As is so often the case the film disappointed. I think the 3D experience is shite, to be honest. It encourages cheap tricks, and the background looks like a theatrical back cloth and phoney...

Loved the book. Haven't seen the film yet.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 am

William the White wrote:Tonight went to cineworld for Life of Pi. I loved the book. As is so often the case the film disappointed. I think the 3D experience is shite, to be honest. It encourages cheap tricks, and the background looks like a theatrical back cloth and phoney...
Interesting. I've always avoided 3D films as I have them down as being a triumph of visual trickery over film content. I've never heard anyone comment on a 3D film that's told me what a good, compelling, developing story it was, but always about how the effects were amaaaaaaaazin'. Anyway, having heard good things about the book, I went to watch the film, Life of Pi, hoping that the 3D effects would be secondary to the actual film. What a forlorn wish that was. :hang:
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

I still don't think the 3D technology is all that good yet - I always find it puts a slight strain on my eyes putting the scrambled picture together.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Not many examples of 3D being used well in a film.

Hugo is an exception though........

And supposedly the Great Gatsby out later this year is another.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Interesting. I've always avoided 3D films as I have them down as being a triumph of visual trickery over film content. I've never heard anyone comment on a 3D film that's told me what a good, compelling, developing story it was, but always about how the effects were amaaaaaaaazin'. Anyway, having heard good things about the book, I went to watch the film, Life of Pi, hoping that the 3D effects would be secondary to the actual film. What a forlorn wish that was. :hang:
Wreck It Ralph. Not even joking.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wreck It Ralph. Not even joking.
Is that because of 3D? Or good film in general? Going to see it Sunday with my lad.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Both. The 3D works really well with the animation, although it's the first animated film I've seen in 3D so nothing to compare it to, other than normal films and it's definitely the best 3D film I've seen.

The film is excellent in general, too. Easily up there with Toy Story for me.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:53 pm

See, not a fan of 3D.....we went to see Toy Story 3 in 3D, thought it was rubbish (the 3D element)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Not many examples of 3D being used well in a film.

It won't be, it really won't... I can almost promise that...

Let's both see it and compare notes... Do you know the book?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Kiss Me, Kate at the Old Vic tonight... dreadful show. Some attractive chorus dancers its only redeeming feature.

Others seemed to enjoy it though. A bit like my One Man, Two Guvnors experience - I just can't be doing with farce, I suppose.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 pm

William the White wrote:

I read the book recently - really enjoyed it and can't wait for the film.

The trailer looks excellent and with many scenes I was spooked by how similar things looked to the picture I'd generated in my mind. Apart from the Gatsby mansion, which is way, way over the top if you ask me!

Can't wait to see Di Caprio play Gatsby.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 am

Watched The Brits last night. Dear me - that fat c*nt that appears on everything these days is as funny as a festering cock. The only people that don't appear to have latched on to this are TV execs and him.

Whole thing was an embarrassment.

As Danny Baker twitted;

Seriously, the day the music dies it'll be this Brits that'll be dragged in for questioning
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 am

William the White wrote:

Possibly. The effect they are going for is that they are trying to make it seem like you are watching a "live play" rather than a film.

Now it may well not work, I agree, but at least I don't think they'll be poking things in your face.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Off work ill so feeling sorry for myself and watching 'Life on Mars'...just saw the bloody Bee Hive Mill in the background!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm

mrkint wrote:Off work ill so feeling sorry for myself and watching 'Life on Mars'...just saw the bloody Bee Hive Mill in the background!
If you're well enough to watch 'Life on Mars' you're not too ill to go to work. :spank:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
mrkint wrote:Off work ill so feeling sorry for myself and watching 'Life on Mars'...just saw the bloody Bee Hive Mill in the background!
If you're well enough to watch 'Life on Mars' you're not too ill to go to work. :spank:
Yes .... please attend my office tomorrow to discuss this.

You may bring a representitive.

Esp. if it is Victoria Coren.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Watched The Brits last night. Dear me - that fat c*nt that appears on everything these days is as funny as a festering cock. The only people that don't appear to have latched on to this are TV execs and him.

Whole thing was an embarrassment.

As Danny Baker twitted;

Seriously, the day the music dies it'll be this Brits that'll be dragged in for questioning
.... but shit like that smug off with trevor nelson and jeremy clarkson and them he did t'other day will eventually be found guilty.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Felt like a bit of light entertainmnt so I watched Lost in Austen. A modern take on Pride and Prejudice I half expected to dislike and turn off because I hate classic literature being messed with. A young girl in love with the P & P story does a Narnia-style swap with Elizabeth Bennet and finds herself back in Regency England via a door in her bathroom. The film makers screw up the book plot mercilessly, and her attempts to make it all go right make for a funny and (to me at least) entertaining, if pure spoof film. It can be watched on Youtube, almost three hours of it, but knowing the book is a decided advantage. Definitely one for G.G. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?