The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Prufrock wrote:This is a fab piece of writing: http://thequietus.com/articles/18714-je ... y-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's fecking long mind. Favourite section,

"I think we all know what the problems are. For instance, I'm not what you'd call a hawk, but please: out there in grainy, hard-bollocked reality, Corbyn's foreign policy would not just leave Britain naked in the conference chamber, but fastened into a gimp mask with a horse-tail dangling out of its arse. Whether we like it or not, there is at least one confrontation coming; you can be sure of that. There are some nasty people in the world, you know. Some of them – get this! – are even nastier than Tony Blair. And even if you leave them all alone, they will not stop. Not for all the tea in Islington North.

What's more, there are certain... issues with Corbyn and the company he keeps. He doesn't just have skeletons in his closet, he hangs up his shirts in an ossuary. This is not a trivial matter. Those who underestimate the problems this will cause are fooling themselves (and in some cases, losing sight of their own moral compass)."
:hang: But I post similar things and you get on my case but this is errr 'fab'?
#trendytwits.
it's only "fab" cos Pru has a massive hard-on for Jezza... you're right - he'd normally dismiss such hyperbole as, well, hyperbole...

shoes... let's talk about Jezza's shoes... :roll:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Liz Kendall conceded that her campaign had failed and that Jeremy Corbyn – the man expected to be declared the winner on Saturday – had energised a party crying out for change.

Her speech marks the first of what is expected to be many frank self-assessments on the Blairite wing of the party. “Everyone must – and I believe will – accept the result and mandate of the new leader. They will have won the right to pursue their agenda and must be given the space and scope to do so.

“If Jeremy Corbyn wins, it would be a huge mistake not to accept that result as legitimate. The voters will have made their decision and the rest of us must accept it as such.”

Acknowledging the leftwing MP’s likely victory, she said Corybn’s campaign had “mobilised and enthused vast numbers of people in a way we haven’t seen for decades. The debate that’s exploded during this contest has been simmering for many years.”

Kendall said Labour had not had a proper debate about its values for too long, and conceded that her wing of the party had spent too long avoiding the subject. “The last time we really debated the purpose of our party and what we stand for, throughout the Labour movement, was the reform of clause IV – 20 years ago,” she added.
Please, please JC, I never really meant all those nasty things I said about you, your policies, nor the left wing of the party.

Can I be in your shadow cabinet?
In the same interview she specifically says she wont serve in his cabinet :conf:
Yeah, like you'd believe a career politician would turn down a job in the shadow cabinet!
If she had proper principles given her carping throughout the campaign, a labour party lead by JC would be unacceptable so she should do the honourable thing and just cross the floor to where she really belongs.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:59 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Have I missed it or has Comrade Jeremy kept his head down while the Migrant/Refugee thing has kicked off in the past couple of weeks in particular ?

yeah - you missed it - which is odd for one of his supporters...
So what's he said then ? .... & do your very best, for once in your life, to give a straight answer and not be an arse. Remember your apology.

I've seen nothing from him ... on almost anything ... since it was irrefutably the case that he was out in front.

A case of "don't rock the boat".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Have I missed it or has Comrade Jeremy kept his head down while the Migrant/Refugee thing has kicked off in the past couple of weeks in particular ?

So what's he said then ? .... & do your very best, for once in your life, to give a straight answer and not be an arse. Remember your apology.

I've seen nothing from him ... on almost anything ... since it was irrefutably the case that he was out in front.

A case of "don't rock the boat".
If I remember rightly, he suggested we had to take in migrants whilst those ultra reliable neighbours in the area sorted out the problems in Syria and Iraq.
No mention of African, Pakistani, Afghan or Bangladeshi's though!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:

if you type "Corbyn" and "refugees" into Google - and select the "news" tab - you will find quite a bit of stuff he has said (most recently) in response to Cameron's statement... you will also find stuff about him backing the Islington Town Hall refugee donation centre on 9th sept (yesterday)

this week he issued the following statement:
Nobody could fail to be moved by this heartbreaking crisis. Millions are desperately fleeing a terrible civil war, risking their lives and the lives of their children to seek only the most basic sanctuary.

This government’s response has been shameful. David Cameron must shoulder his responsibility and begin urgent talks with our European neighbours and the UN so that the UK takes its fair share of refugees. He should immediately bring together civil society and religious leaders, devolved administrations, councils and charities to properly plan and co-ordinate our humanitarian response.

It is our duty as a signatory to the UN refugee convention, but also as human beings, to offer a place of safety, to play a role internationally, to share our responsibilities, and to work to end the conflict. We must also make sure that people who have risked their lives seeking refuge here are treated fairly when they arrive.

Currently we are failing on all of these counts. This is far too serious to keep getting wrong. As a first step, we must urgently pool our expertise and resources to plan a proper humanitarian response.

In the longer term we must stop supplying the arms fuelling the conflicts which the refugees are fleeing and take meaningful action to tackle climate change and the very serious implications this will have on refugee flows if left unaddressed.
like I said - you must have just missed it... it's there.

is that "straight" enough? (though I'm not sure I ever promised to keep you abreast of everything Jezza says!)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:56 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:

if you type "Corbyn" and "refugees" into Google - and select the "news" tab - you will find quite a bit of stuff he has said (most recently) in response to Cameron's statement... you will also find stuff about him backing the Islington Town Hall refugee donation centre on 9th sept (yesterday)

this week he issued the following statement:
Nobody could fail to be moved by this heartbreaking crisis. Millions are desperately fleeing a terrible civil war, risking their lives and the lives of their children to seek only the most basic sanctuary.

This government’s response has been shameful. David Cameron must shoulder his responsibility and begin urgent talks with our European neighbours and the UN so that the UK takes its fair share of refugees. He should immediately bring together civil society and religious leaders, devolved administrations, councils and charities to properly plan and co-ordinate our humanitarian response.

It is our duty as a signatory to the UN refugee convention, but also as human beings, to offer a place of safety, to play a role internationally, to share our responsibilities, and to work to end the conflict. We must also make sure that people who have risked their lives seeking refuge here are treated fairly when they arrive.

Currently we are failing on all of these counts. This is far too serious to keep getting wrong. As a first step, we must urgently pool our expertise and resources to plan a proper humanitarian response.

In the longer term we must stop supplying the arms fuelling the conflicts which the refugees are fleeing and take meaningful action to tackle climate change and the very serious implications this will have on refugee flows if left unaddressed.
like I said - you must have just missed it... it's there.

is that "straight" enough? (though I'm not sure I ever promised to keep you abreast of everything Jezza says!)
Good job there is no longer the NUM or he would already be done for! :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:46 am

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Prufrock wrote:This is a fab piece of writing: http://thequietus.com/articles/18714-je ... y-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's fecking long mind. Favourite section,

"I think we all know what the problems are. For instance, I'm not what you'd call a hawk, but please: out there in grainy, hard-bollocked reality, Corbyn's foreign policy would not just leave Britain naked in the conference chamber, but fastened into a gimp mask with a horse-tail dangling out of its arse. Whether we like it or not, there is at least one confrontation coming; you can be sure of that. There are some nasty people in the world, you know. Some of them – get this! – are even nastier than Tony Blair. And even if you leave them all alone, they will not stop. Not for all the tea in Islington North.

What's more, there are certain... issues with Corbyn and the company he keeps. He doesn't just have skeletons in his closet, he hangs up his shirts in an ossuary. This is not a trivial matter. Those who underestimate the problems this will cause are fooling themselves (and in some cases, losing sight of their own moral compass)."
:hang: But I post similar things and you get on my case but this is errr 'fab'?
#trendytwits.
it's only "fab" cos Pru has a massive hard-on for Jezza... you're right - he'd normally dismiss such hyperbole as, well, hyperbole...

shoes... let's talk about Jezza's shoes... :roll:
Yeah, coz that wasn't a joke.... :roll:

I make no apologies for having a "massive hard-on" for a man whose politics are disastrous, morality questionable and judgement patently awful.

A man who thinks there's an arguable case that Tony Blair should face trial for war crimes but that labeling Hams and Hezbollah terrorists was a big mistake. A man whose instinct is anti-American but who thinks Venezeula deserving of praise. A man with the economics of a 19th century pamphleteer and a man who described the killing of Osama Bin Laden as a tragedy.

He can get to f*ck.

Hoboh never said anything of the sort, Hoboh quite liked JC. Hobes is a big fan of blowing the shit out of ISIS but this hardly makes him unique, nor is it exactly the level of argument we get from that article.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:....and a man who described the killing of Osama Bin Laden as a tragedy.

why?? not as your no-context qote implies cos he shed tears for a murdering terrorist or supported or liked anything bin laden stood for - but because he would have preferred him to be tried in a court and convicted...

I too prefer that to extra-judicial executions...

that's not to say it was possible to capture bin laden alive in the circumstances of this case - who knows? - but it wouldn't stop me suggesting it would have been preferable. the context of that remark was alongside his comment: "the solution has got to be law not war"..

you'd agree with that, no?

as it stands - I think the way you slide that into a big paragraph is just a teeny bit massively disingenuous. but - hey - it's a world of differing opinions! :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:51 pm

I agree that the aim should have been to capture Osama (so, at least officially, did everyone), but I don't think even Anjem Choudhry is thick enough to use the word "tragedy".

Seriously, how bad does your judgement have to be to come out with that shit?!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:53 pm

And he still wants Blair on trial for war crimes whilst giving Hamas a free pass.

He also, for the record, called on Netenyahu to be arrested when he set foot in the UK. I expected him to welcome him as a "friend" in the interests of "talking".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:I agree that the aim should have been to capture Osama (so, at least officially, did everyone), but I don't think even Anjem Choudhry is thick enough to use the word "tragedy".

Seriously, how bad does your judgement have to be to come out with that shit?!

your objection seems to be just sophistry then...

anyway - we'll find out soon enough who gets elected - and then the real "fun" will start...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:37 pm

It's laughable to suggest criticism of a wannabe PM for calling the death of Bin Laden a tragedy is sophistry.

Why hasn't he welcomed Netenyahu as a "friend"?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:55 am

Prufrock wrote:It's laughable to suggest criticism of a wannabe PM for calling the death of Bin Laden a tragedy is sophistry.
what I am calling "sophistry" is your adding a weasel phrase about Corbyn and Bin Laden into a rant that leads to you proclaiming "he can get to f*ck" with the implication that Corbyn supports terrorism or Bin Laden...

and then later to say that you, yourself, are in fact totally in agreement with what Corbyn actually thinks on the issue of Bin Laden's execution/assassination/death.

that's exactly the kind of stuff I expect from the Daily Mail... it's not the kind of disingenuity that I expect from you.

hang your head in shame, Pru - you have disappointed thebish badly! you've let me down, you've let the forum down, but most of all, you've let yourself down! :wink:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:09 am

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -bin-laden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Corbyn, Bin Laden and context. For Pru.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:43 am

and Corbyn has totally PWNED the election...

(and.. a very gracious acceptance speech)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:27 pm

It's perfectly valid to question a man whose judgement is so shit it leads him to call the death of Osama Bin Laden a "tragedy".

I await him inviting Netenyahu as a friend to see if they can sot out the Midde East.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:32 pm

I look forward to all the middle class luvvies who are slapping themselves on the back in self-congratulation over this, slinking away as the ship begins to sink.

But we mustn't let them. Everyone who voted for Corbyn is directly responsible for what will happen to the poor, the public sector and the disadvantaged in this country over the next decade.

I will unfortunately feel the need to point this out at various stages. I apologise in advance for this.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Ive just realised the Labour Party is now led by Tom & Jerry :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Pru!

Liz Kendall: 18,857 - 4.5%

Your judgement is either poor taste in the trouser department,
or in political terms :mrgreen:

Btw, I welcome JC for the reason the tossers that currently occupy the government seats will have to up their game with a proper opposition attacking them, I doubt very much he will ever be PM.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I look forward to all the middle class luvvies who are slapping themselves on the back in self-congratulation over this, slinking away as the ship begins to sink.

you big gruff working class man-of-the-people, you! :lol: