new Muslim youth club just opened in Newcastle...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm

In an age when we're supposed to be about civil liberties and freedom of expression, then pack in this irrational 'fear of the other' and let them wear burkhas/veils/hajibs/whatever, if they're happy with it. I know for a fact some women are - not all branches of Islam are about medieval male oppression of women.

Funny as well how this is coming from the freedom loving right - imposing the state on their terms (at least Lab had the pro-state excuse, even if they were wrong as well).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Interesting article from the seemingly always spot on Mr Mitchell.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... an-tattoos
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:14 pm

I hope he does start wearing one, then we can lock the unfunny twunt up.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:19 pm

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I hope he does start wearing one, then we can lock the unfunny twunt up.
So, who do you think is funny, worthy? I think mitchell is always witty and sometimes hilarious.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 pm

William the White wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I hope he does start wearing one, then we can lock the unfunny twunt up.
So, who do you think is funny, worthy? I think mitchell is always witty and sometimes hilarious.
I have him down as occasionally witty but I've never seen him reach hilarious. Then again, I like Spike Milligan and the Pythons. Frankie Boyle, people of that ilk.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
William the White wrote:
I have him down as occasionally witty but I've never seen him reach hilarious. Then again, I like Spike Milligan and the Pythons. Frankie Boyle, people of that ilk.
OK. I like them as well...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 am

I think Mitchell is tremendous - Cambridge humour at its best.

And that article is spot on (apart, perhaps, in his unwillingness to give Damian Green the credit he deserves for his position on this).
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 am

I guess it just must be me then that can generally watch him without breaking into so much as a smirk... :-(

As for Cambridge humour at its best, I have him somewhere below the Sandi Toksvig and Tony Slattery level and a long way from the Blackadder crew, the Goodies and the Pythons, Smith and Jones, oh and I'll throw in Peter Cook for good measure - maybe when I was watching them, humour was all still new to me... :-)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 am

Worthy4England wrote: As for Cambridge humour at its best, I have him somewhere below the Sandi Toksvig and Tony Slattery level and a long way from the Blackadder crew, the Goodies and the Pythons, Smith and Jones, oh and I'll throw in Peter Cook for good measure - maybe when I was watching them, humour was all still new to me... :-)
I love Blackadder, but wouldn't claim that for Cambridge... only Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, but I'd agree that certainly the former is up there!

(Sorry about this stale tangent...)
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I think Mitchell is tremendous - Cambridge humour at its best.
I also think that Mitchell is tremendous, I also find him fairly unique so am unsure as to how or why you've got your broad brush out. You'll have to explain 'Cambridge humour' to me.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Mitchells always pretty funny, without making you hysterical. It's good, but it'll be boring soon. People love the posh, southern, sarcastic thing.. But with him and McIntyre on and in everything, it'll wear thin quite quickly
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I think Mitchell is tremendous - Cambridge humour at its best.
I also think that Mitchell is tremendous, I also find him fairly unique so am unsure as to how or why you've got your broad brush out. You'll have to explain 'Cambridge humour' to me.
Well obviously in the case of Mitchell, it's humour that's unfunny. The concept could only have come from one of our most prestigeous learning establishments. :mrgreen: ae:)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
It's posh blokes telling jokes about broadsheet newspapers and poor people
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I can't really, mate... I just recognise something familiar in his writing, that's all.