9/11 Conspiracy Theory - Very interesting stuff

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:35 pm

blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Question it all you want, Blurred. That account was given to me first hand by pilots of American Airlines that I was sat chatting to in London a couple of years ago. Apparently it is extremely common for pilots of all airlines to hitch a ride in the jump seat. Their account, not mine.
Read what I said again. I'm not saying it's uncommon, I'm saying that none of the hijackers worked for any airlines. They had rudimentary flying skills (almost certainly none of them with jets the size of the passenger flights they were on) and therefore would not have been given the jump seat.

Unless anyone can point me to evidence that John Q Terrorist (can't be arsed researching the names of all the hijackers, but whoever supposedly did the flying out of the 19 or so gentlemen concerned) was a salaried pilot with any reputable airline, then this theory to me is complete bunkum.

As I said, I know the jump seat exists, and know how and when it's used, but it would not have been in this instance, unless John Q Terrorist was a pilot for Continental/Virgin/NorthWest/AA/whoever. Which he wasn't.
And what I'm saying to you is that a bunch of pilots told me otherwise, believe what you will.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: And what I'm saying to you is that a bunch of pilots told me otherwise, believe what you will.
I think the link I posted backs you up.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:37 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Interestingly differing views of Portillo. :wink:
Potted biography

Portillo served in a number of government posts under Margaret Thatcher and John Major and was a hate figure of the left. He lost his parliamentary seat in the 1997 election and the announcement of that came third in a poll of the most memorable TV moments (ahead of the Kennedy assassination).

After regaining a place in parliament he stood for leadership of the Conservative party, and was defeated, despite being clearly the best candidate. Confessions of homosexual experiences when young, probably did for him.

My opinion, is that whilst good at projecting an air of gravitas, he was essentially a political lightweight; a view that is shared by Norman Tebbit. It’s easy to see how he could appeal to someone young, right wing and impressionable.

Now back to aeroplane talk.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Lennon wrote:A quick google search finds an interesting article about this jumpseat thing:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1643665/posts

(And I suppose this answers the above post.)
Blimey. I'll see if I can get myself in the cockpit at that rate! Quick uniform from a fancy dress shop and a photoshopped certificate or two! :D

And there was me thinking my 'Catch Me If You Can' reference was tongue in cheek :)

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Gertie wrote:My friend worked for Air Miles and as they are counted as British Airways employees she has flown in the jump seat on BA flights that were full when travelling on business.

She hates flying and loathed every second of it. I'd think it would be great.... I'd be asking them what all the buttons did.
I deal with the Air Miles company through my work, www.airline-network.co.uk, and they are the biggest bunch of townie scally brainless whores I have ever had the misfortune to speak to. They have not got a clue so I would close my pretty little ears when she next speaks.............

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:48 pm

And isn't his middle name something like Excalibur or something quite crazy like that?????

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:53 pm

Gertie wrote:And isn't his middle name something like Excalibur or something quite crazy like that?????
Xavier I think

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm

Is that not actually the name of his Brazilian boyfriend? Or am I thinking of the wrong politician?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:58 pm

blurred wrote:
Gertie wrote:And isn't his middle name something like Excalibur or something quite crazy like that?????
Xavier I think
He was born Michael Denzil Portillo, and took the name Xavier at confirmation. (Apparently).

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
blurred wrote:
Xavier I think
He was born Michael Denzil Portillo, and took the name Xavier at confirmation. (Apparently).
?? when he became a wheelchair-bound mutant???
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:32 pm

:lol:

You beat me to it.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:55 pm

blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:OK, I'll tell you. In the cockpit of all American planes there is a spare seat, this seat is known as the Jump Seat. The reason for the spare seat is that an American Aviation Official can, and will, turn up without any prior warning whatsoever to asses the Pilots.

Now then, American Pilots get free air travel when they're not working or when they've dropped a plane off somewhere or whatever. Usually Pilots are offered accomodation in First Class if available, but it is more common for them to ask for the Jump Seat so that they've got someone to talk to.

Bearing in mind that the Hi-jackers were also qualified Pilots, they too asked for the jump seats, then, when in place and the planes were airborne they cut the throats of the original Pilots.
My first foray into this thread, and admittedly it's an old post but I'd like to question this somewhat. Yes the hijackers (some of them) had attended aviation schools, but unless they were contracted employees of a major airline there's no way that they would be allowed into the cockpit, and certainly not just on the grounds that they had a pilots license that allowed them to fly nowt bigger than a Cesena. I don't recall seeing any evidence that the hijackers worked for the airlines, and doubt highly that they would have been allowed the jump seat.

And no, I'm not doubting the jump seat and its existence, after all we've all seen 'Catch Me If You Can'.
just a quick question? why wouldn't they be allowed in the cockpit? Bruce has pilot heasay re teh jumpseat but it's quite irrelevant, access to the cockpit was hardly tough. Firstly, the locked bullet-proof cockpit doors have only been a feature since 9/11, cockpit visits used to be almost common place. Secondly, they were hi-jackers, they usually don't bother with permission, force tends to be the key.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:27 pm

communistworkethic wrote: ?? when he became a wheelchair-bound mutant???
Now, I don't get that! :oops:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
X-men.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:31 pm

communistworkethic wrote:just a quick question? why wouldn't they be allowed in the cockpit? Bruce has pilot heasay re teh jumpseat but it's quite irrelevant, access to the cockpit was hardly tough. Firstly, the locked bullet-proof cockpit doors have only been a feature since 9/11, cockpit visits used to be almost common place. Secondly, they were hi-jackers, they usually don't bother with permission, force tends to be the key.
I was questioning the fact that they'd be allowed in to the jump seat because they were pilots, which they weren't (at least not employed ones). I wouldn't have questioned anyone who said they got into there by force or deception.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:31 pm

blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
X-men.
That's a film, isn't it. I know that because I've seen an ad for X-Men 3, I think!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
X-men.
That's a film, isn't it. I know that because I've seen an ad for X-Men 3, I think!
Indeed. It's the baldy fella from the new Star Trek who plays him I think. Patrick Stewart.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
X-men.

man, you are getting old fella!!

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:44 pm

The joke remained fresh though

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:47 pm

communistworkethic wrote:man, you are getting old fella!!
Hey, that's a little unfair, chap (although not entirely :wink: ). I've only recently developed an interest in film watching/going to the cinema. It's just something that's never appealed to me in the past. I'd always have rather bought some chumps CD and listened to it rather than have watched some chumps film. Good and bad in both, and probably in equal measure from the stuff I've seen up to now.

Now I do both and waste twice the cash! :(