The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm

meanwhile - the case FOR bombing...
Senior figures in the defence department warned against David Cameron saying that there are 70,000 opposition fighters in Syria willing to take on Isil, it has been claimed.
Senior figures in the Ministry of Defence are said to have warned against the Prime Minister using the figure as part of his case for Britain launching air strikes against the jihadists in Syria.
The figure has been heavily contested since it was used more than one week ago by Mr Cameron to help justify his calls for UK bombing raids in Syria.
It is claimed that senior defence officials asked for the number to be taken out of Mr Cameron's statement to Parliament.

Mr Cameron said that he had been given the 70,000 figure by the Joint Intelligence Committee, which advises on defence issues.
The committee is said to have overruled the concerns of defence officials, who warned that it could be "misleading".
Experts have since raised serious questions about the figure.
Julian Lewis, the Conservative chairman of the Commons defence select committee, compared it to the "dodgy dossier" which helped take Britain to war under Tony Blair.
(source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... Syria.html)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:33 pm

thebish wrote:meanwhile - the case FOR bombing...
Senior figures in the defence department warned against David Cameron saying that there are 70,000 opposition fighters in Syria willing to take on Isil, it has been claimed.
Senior figures in the Ministry of Defence are said to have warned against the Prime Minister using the figure as part of his case for Britain launching air strikes against the jihadists in Syria.
The figure has been heavily contested since it was used more than one week ago by Mr Cameron to help justify his calls for UK bombing raids in Syria.
It is claimed that senior defence officials asked for the number to be taken out of Mr Cameron's statement to Parliament.

Mr Cameron said that he had been given the 70,000 figure by the Joint Intelligence Committee, which advises on defence issues.
The committee is said to have overruled the concerns of defence officials, who warned that it could be "misleading".
Experts have since raised serious questions about the figure.
Julian Lewis, the Conservative chairman of the Commons defence select committee, compared it to the "dodgy dossier" which helped take Britain to war under Tony Blair.
(source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... Syria.html)
pheww, I may need to sit down. Stunning journalistic investigation, by the way
:roll:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:34 pm

apparently you're nobody unless you received a death threat - even if you did have to doctor the email yourself to make it one!
A Tory MP who voted to bomb Syria was criticised today after she doctored an email from a constituent so it read like a death threat.
Lucy Allan, 51, published a genuine email from a voter who branded her 'an empty shell of a human being' and 'detached from reality' but added the words 'unless you die' and put it on Facebook.
Sender Adam Watling, 27, who was writing as Rusty Shackleford, claims she deliberately added the final three words to make it appear as though he had sent a death threat.
Mrs Allan has since deleted the Facebook post, claiming that the three extra words were from another email and the post was an 'illustration' of the unpleasant comments she had received.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:01 pm

thebish wrote:apparently you're nobody unless you received a death threat - even if you did have to doctor the email yourself to make it one!
A Tory MP who voted to bomb Syria was criticised today after she doctored an email from a constituent so it read like a death threat.
Lucy Allan, 51, published a genuine email from a voter who branded her 'an empty shell of a human being' and 'detached from reality' but added the words 'unless you die' and put it on Facebook.
Sender Adam Watling, 27, who was writing as Rusty Shackleford, claims she deliberately added the final three words to make it appear as though he had sent a death threat.
Mrs Allan has since deleted the Facebook post, claiming that the three extra words were from another email and the post was an 'illustration' of the unpleasant comments she had received.
Bizarre...what goes on in their heads....it's like Drop the Dead Donkey..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:apparently you're nobody unless you received a death threat - even if you did have to doctor the email yourself to make it one!
Bizarre...what goes on in their heads....it's like Drop the Dead Donkey..
Indeed. Why on earth would someone called Adam Watling write as Rusty Sackleford, the gobshite? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Or Bruce Rioja! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:15 pm

thebish wrote:Or Bruce Rioja! :D
I don't claim to be called either Adam Watling or Rusty Sackleford. What the feck are you on about?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I wonder whether they'll be debating whether to bomb South Carolina to help protect us from religious extremists?
Why, are there many residents of Leytonstone legging it over to South Carolina to join the Lord's Army and slice the living heads off of aid workers and journalists whilst producing slick videos threatening to blow up the number 65 tram? I must have missed that news story.
As you said, you can't make this shit up.
Tonight some hashtag is going around based on some bloke's statement "you ain't no muslim, bruv" But, quite clearly he was.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 pm

^ based on a statement made by a Muslim to yesterday's attacker. Quite admirable no?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I wonder whether they'll be debating whether to bomb South Carolina to help protect us from religious extremists?
Why, are there many residents of Leytonstone legging it over to South Carolina to join the Lord's Army and slice the living heads off of aid workers and journalists whilst producing slick videos threatening to blow up the number 65 tram? I must have missed that news story.
Tonight some hashtag is going around based on some bloke's statement "you ain't no muslim, bruv" But, quite clearly he was.
Are you Richard Dawkins?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Harsh on RD :D!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:Harsh on RD :D!
Don't think it's possible to be too harsh on that insufferable nice person.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Harsh on RD :D!
Don't think it's possible to be too harsh on that insufferable tw*t.
Is the correct answer. :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Are you Richard Dawkins?
Do me favour, he's a bit pinko-liberal don't you think?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:16 am

I'll get by with a little help from my friends!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -jail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... group.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Future PM my ass!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:21 am

Hoboh wrote:I'll get by with a little help from my friends!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -jail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... group.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Future PM my ass!
You do realise that you've posted links to the Daily Mail there, don't you? It may be just me but I'.m as likely to click on them as much as I'd click on links to the Morning Star.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Future PM my ass!
Bloody hell - there's straw clutching at it's best!

For those who don't want to sully themselves opening Daily mail links I took one for the team (you're welcome)..

The 1st link - shows how Corbyn sent a letter to court re a constituent, to say they were unlikely to abscond and so bail was appropriate. The bloke has now been sentenced and his Solicitor tried to produce the letter of support again. Corbyn was right. He didn't abscond - he returned for sentencing.

2nd link - people on the right of the Labour party don't like Stop the War coalition. No 5hit Sherlock!

Move along. Nothing to see here..
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:52 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Future PM my ass!
Bloody hell - there's straw clutching at it's best!

For those who don't want to sully themselves opening Daily mail links I took one for the team (you're welcome)..

The 1st link - shows how Corbyn sent a letter to court re a constituent, to say they were unlikely to abscond and so bail was appropriate. The bloke has now been sentenced and his Solicitor tried to produce the letter of support again. Corbyn was right. He didn't abscond - he returned for sentencing.

2nd link - people on the right of the Labour party don't like Stop the War coalition. No 5hit Sherlock!

Move along. Nothing to see here..
Last night a Labour spokesman said Mr Corbyn had been approached by the constituent prior to the trial, and wrote a letter on his behalf as is standard for a constituency MP.
This was before the full facts of the case had emerged, and was on the basis that Mr Corbyn was informed the constituent needed to be at home with his children and would not abscond and could not travel abroad‎.
So go on then, how the fcuk did Corbyn know he wouldn't abscond when apparently he knew sod all about him?
Who clutches at straws?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:39 am

the sensational story is that Corbyn wrote a letter like all MPs do to say that in his opinion a bloke wasn't likely to abscond - and - the bloke then went on not to abscond??

boooooooooooooooo! Corbyn Out!!
Last edited by thebish on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:48 am

Jesus wept Hoboh, I'm all for criticising Corbs, but that is a non-story. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd never actually seen it. All MPs send letters like that on behalf of their constituents every day.

The real scandal is that the f*cker had never replied to my two letters to him I sent, the first of which was well before the election!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.