Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:58 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Right .... I have fully functioning Smart TV .... no Sky or any other supplier, simply Freeview.

Some channels come up showing a blank screen with "data service" in the middle. The channel mummy's Chinese art thingymyjig ... Propeller TV is an example, channel 229 in this case.

Is that it ? I just can't get them as I'm a tightwad .. or is there any soft-shoe shuffle I can do and get them working ?
I'm not sure that channel is broadcasting at this time on Freeview (or at least not 24*7) - when you look on their website, they seem to have a live slot at 07:00 - 07:30 then one at 12:00 - 12:30 and finally one at 12:30 - 12:45. They don't have any other timeslots mentioned.

Babestation hasn't started yet, either.
There are others do it ... One called Vintage on 242 which had programmes showing when you look on the Guide but still get that same "data service only" message.
I think some around that number range are only broadcast digitally via cable (rather than over the air from the transmitter). This channel appears to be one such.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/vintage ... hannel-242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:00 pm

That's fine. Just wanted to know. Shalln't waste my time trying to find how to access them then. Ta.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Ooops

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... s-complain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

:lol:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Ooops

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... s-complain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

I have no sympathy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Alooooominum? ALOOMINUM...... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Ooops

I have no sympathy.
Some of the more ardent fans will likely explain it away as a feature, before going on to claim the first ever curved screen phone :roll:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Aww, bless.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Aww, bless.
I know ... & these must be the ones who queued.

I suppose it shows the screens are less likely to shatter three times a day.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 pm

I might have posted this recently but i forget. If not, company hacks printer to play a video game

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... n-security" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/doom-printer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:24 am

I mentioned on here just before the World Cup that I was buying a new smart TV and ended up with a Samsung 48" 3DTV.

Since then I haven't done anything to use the 'smart' capabilities of the thing so when I saw one of my FB friends clicked 'like' on a little TV box that I hadn't previously heard of I investigated a little closer.

Its called The Little Black Box, or TLBB, and it offered a lot so this week I ended up buying one off Amazon for £80. It runs off an XBMC (X-Box Media Centre) platform if that means anything to you. After three days I hadn't managed to get so much as a squeak out of the damn think so thought I'd wasted my money. I haven't got the time, the inclination or the expertise to be messing with one of these.

I then saw a ad on Ebay offering a 'fully loaded' TLBB for £180 and messaged the seller asking what 'fully loaded' actually meant and was it worth buying his and then selling mine. It turns out I was talking to the owner of TLBB and he told me I should keep the one I had and he would phone me to get it set up - very generous of him! It turns out that the guy who is selling the boxes on Amazon has jumped the gun a bit and they should not be on sale until next week so all the scripts and add-ons are not in place as yet.

Anyway, the upshot is that I was led through the set-up and I now have a 'fully loaded' TLBB. Bloody hell :shock: I have access to just about every film ever made, every TV show, all sports channels including a full set of Sky channels and streams for every 3pm kick off in the Prem today and every other day. If its on the internet I have it. It's still a little buggy but I am very impressed so far.

Have a look at http://thelittleblackbox.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Interesting Clappers. The info on the link seems to say it's a media server for streaming, but content you already own. I can't see anything for content you don't own?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:32 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Interesting Clappers. The info on the link seems to say it's a media server for streaming, but content you already own. I can't see anything for content you don't own?
No, it can 'scrape' content you already own into a folder and store on a hard drive, and it has two USB sockets to link to said hard drive, but its strength lies in linking to bits of the internet where there are thousands of films and TV shows available at a click. Its not foolproof, and some of the content I have found has subtitles in foreign language, but last night, for example, I was watching True Detective and I've just checked and found all of Boardwalk Empire up to ep3S5 is findable within a few seconds. It doesn't exactly sit comfortable with me but, happy days so far!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 am

clapton is god wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Interesting Clappers. The info on the link seems to say it's a media server for streaming, but content you already own. I can't see anything for content you don't own?
No, it can 'scrape' content you already own into a folder and store on a hard drive, and it has two USB sockets to link to said hard drive, but its strength lies in linking to bits of the internet where there are thousands of films and TV shows available at a click. Its not foolproof, and some of the content I have found has subtitles in foreign language, but last night, for example, I was watching True Detective and I've just checked and found all of Boardwalk Empire up to ep3S5 is findable within a few seconds. It doesn't exactly sit comfortable with me but, happy days so far!
Aah cheers. Thought I'd missed something :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Widows 10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're skipping 9, which is tech speak is a statement that they're leaping forward and disassociating themselves with the current one.

However, if I read this right, it's not planned to be finished and offered generally until late 2015.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Widows 10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're skipping 9, which is tech speak is a statement that they're leaping forward and disassociating themselves with the current one.

However, if I read this right, it's not planned to be finished and offered generally until late 2015.
It's going to be that much of an improvement, they should have called it 11. Most systems only go up to ten, but this is one better...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Widows 10

as long as they spell it right *sideways look*

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:50 am

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Anyone got an AppleTV? Recommended?

Thinking of one for the bedroom...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:21 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Anyone got an AppleTV? Recommended?

Thinking of one for the bedroom...
I have 2!

They are great.

Especially if you have other apple stuff, ipad, iphone etc. The mirroring is the difference then.

Don't hesitate and buy. :oyea:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Nice. You'll do for me