What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by clapton is god » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 am

General Mannerheim wrote:Omar fans wanna get into Boardwalk!

Bye has anyone seen Downhill, about the four blokes who attempt the coast to coast walk? Pretty funny.
Never heard of Downhill but my subject and will certainly be watching it now.

As for Boardwalk, yep, couldn't agree more.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 pm

I hadn't heard of it, just downloaded it off iTunes for the train last night. Always good when u discover a little gem like that.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Well, large Bob has decreed we go to Liverpool to watch some puppets.

Keep your eyes on the news. When we went to the Tall Ships she chose to have an anti-Scouse rant at some passed women who pushed into the queue in front of us.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:58 pm

large Bob?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Just seen 'Grosse Pointe Blank'. Loved it, great soundtrack too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Oh! I remember. The guy who plays Avon Barksdale plays a waiter or something in a Jack Nicholson film...I think it's 'As good as it gets' the one where he plays the OCD guy?
fun fact about The Wire..

if you watch the credits at the end - you will see a bloke called Jay Landsman..

hmmmm... you think - there is an actual character callwed Jay Landsman - the fat five-oh in the office... I wonder if Jay Landsman is playing himself..

no...

The character is based on and named after a real homicide detective sergeant whom David Simon had met while researching the book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. The character is often given dialogue that the writers recall the real Landsman using. Delaney Williams was chosen for the part because of the creators' experience of working with him in small roles on Homicide and The Corner.

The real Jay Landsman can also be seen on The Wire in the role of Dennis Mello, first in an uncredited appearance in the season 2 episode "Stray Rounds", and later as a regular cast member. The real Landsman was the inspiration for detective John Munch, a character from Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, who also made an appearance on The Wire.

So Jay Landsman is in the wire - playing Dennis Mello (and, I think, Bunny's deputy) - whilst Jay Landsman is played by Delaney Williams...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:15 pm

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Oh! I remember. The guy who plays Avon Barksdale plays a waiter or something in a Jack Nicholson film...I think it's 'As good as it gets' the one where he plays the OCD guy?
fun fact about The Wire..

if you watch the credits at the end - you will see a bloke called Jay Landsman..

hmmmm... you think - there is an actual character callwed Jay Landsman - the fat five-oh in the office... I wonder if Jay Landsman is playing himself..

no...

The character is based on and named after a real homicide detective sergeant whom David Simon had met while researching the book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. The character is often given dialogue that the writers recall the real Landsman using. Delaney Williams was chosen for the part because of the creators' experience of working with him in small roles on Homicide and The Corner.

The real Jay Landsman can also be seen on The Wire in the role of Dennis Mello, first in an uncredited appearance in the season 2 episode "Stray Rounds", and later as a regular cast member. The real Landsman was the inspiration for detective John Munch, a character from Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, who also made an appearance on The Wire.

So Jay Landsman is in the wire - playing Dennis Mello (and, I think, Bunny's deputy) - whilst Jay Landsman is played by Delaney Williams...
Correct! The fella who plays the deacon in the later series is actually the guy who Avon Barksdale is largely based on and was caught by Ed Burns, a former cop and co-author of the book you mentioned, following a wire tap case.

I also think one of the guys Butchie sends to help Omar after he gets set up and arrested was a real life stick up guy in Baltimore.

I also believe a local politician who was arrested on embezzlement charges, similar to Clay Davis appears at some point.

The woman who plays Snoop was also a real time gangster who served time for murder and was cast after Michael K Williams met her in a bar in Baltimore and enquired as to her gender (she is very androgynous to be fair).

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Tom Hanks............Meh.............. Captain Phillips........Meh..................................Wife wanting to watch the film on a sat night...........Meh.........................

Feck; I enjoyed that. Well worth a watch!!!

And it's got pirates in it!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Tom Hanks............Meh.............. Captain Phillips........Meh..................................Wife wanting to watch the film on a sat night...........Meh.........................

watched that myself only recently and suprised myself by enjoying it! The missus had ordered it! so - snap! :D

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 pm

thebish wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:Tom Hanks............Meh.............. Captain Phillips........Meh..................................Wife wanting to watch the film on a sat night...........Meh.........................

watched that myself only recently and suprised myself by enjoying it! The missus had ordered it! so - snap! :D

I have to confess that I nearly, repeat nearly, had to wipe away a tear at the end. But quickly realised it was a sneeze coming on..... :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
thebish wrote:

I have to confess that I nearly, repeat nearly, had to wipe away a tear at the end. But quickly realised it was a sneeze coming on..... :wink:
:D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 pm

The ending was a bit much, didn't need that soppy bit.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 am

not tonight, but next week I shall be going to the theatre for the first time ever to watch a play. A new adaptation of The Crucible.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 am

KeyserSoze wrote:not tonight, but next week I shall be going to the theatre for the first time ever to watch a play. A new adaptation of The Crucible.
This is me with mmy mouth agape ... :o

Well, there has to be a first time.

ps. They can here you when you say things like "she's fit ... I'd do her".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 am

bobo the clown wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:not tonight, but next week I shall be going to the theatre for the first time ever to watch a play. A new adaptation of The Crucible.

Just never have! Obviously excluding stuff like panto, school plays etc. Never been to a proper production. One of the many things that never appealed to me as a yoof, that are becoming must-dos now. In the cheap seats, hopefully the view isn't terrible.

And also, you can put it in the smallest font size you like, bobo, that grammatical fail is still going to be there :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Just never have! Obviously excluding stuff like panto, school plays etc. Never been to a proper production. One of the many things that never appealed to me as a yoof, that are becoming must-dos now. In the cheap seats, hopefully the view isn't terrible.

And also, you can put it in the smallest font size you like, bobo, that grammatical fail is still going to be there :wink:
To be honest, I hadn't been until my mid to late thirties. Now I go every time I can.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13 am

Just came across this website https://mubi.com/films/showing#films/showing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and got a 7 day free trial. The idea is that for £2.99 per month (or less if you pay for more upfront) you get access to a constantly updated library of 30 films (with a new film every day). The selection seems a bit art house but I reckon I'll watch a few and see what I think.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Our Maud is going on Saturday. I didn't get an invite!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:36 am

Join us if you like?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am

When are you going?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.