Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
hoboh wrote: Okay, I conceede that one, I'd be foolish to argue with someone of greater knowledge of the subject and I should have done some research. :cry:
I've not spotted this bothering you previously. Do you have a soft spot for gay marriage? :D

:lol: Sorry, Hoboh, but you asked for that one.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
hoboh wrote: Okay, I conceede that one, I'd be foolish to argue with someone of greater knowledge of the subject and I should have done some research. :cry:
I've not spotted this bothering you previously. Do you have a soft spot for gay marriage? :D

:lol: Sorry, Hoboh, but you asked for that one.
I know, but at least I was honest in admitting I was wrong and humble :oops:

To be honest I made my point rather badly attacking just gay marriage, its the slow erosion of many cornerstones of life that bugs.

No doubt that will tickle Le bish :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:21 pm

some cornerstones need to be eroded - it's how we move forwards...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:My laptop breaking :evil: had no idea how much I relied on it. Had most stuff backed up but photos of the dog (rip :cry: ) and some banging choons could be lost forever
Took mine to a little shop on Tonge Moor Road. The laptop was fecked, but the guy there managed to copy everything to my external hard drive for £20.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:21 pm

As long as the HDD is okay, couple of quid for a caddy, insert drive and copy to another computer although Burnden Paddock's idea is a goodun. £20 for recovery is a bargain. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 pm

thebish wrote:some cornerstones need to be eroded - it's how we move forwards...
Or how things collapse! :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:some cornerstones need to be eroded - it's how we move forwards...
some things need to collapse! :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:20 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Some things need to be rebuilt :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
such as?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:40 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
such as?
:conf: Cornerstones

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 pm

:lol:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:03 am

:lol:

Top answer.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:14 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:But the bolded bit suggests you think that a system that leads to 85 people being richer than half the world is a good and fair one. So what is the justification for it, in your eyes?
Given the current state of 'global' governance, does it make sense to talk of a 'system'? Isn't this a bit like discussing whether it's a good thing that 70% of the Earth's surface is water when so many live in cramped conditions.

And isn't talk of people being 'richer' another potential category error? Yes, there are plenty of people in the world caused great suffering because of material poverty and disease, but are there not lots of people living simple but contented lives, who would barely register on any $ measurement of their life?

Can we meaningfully compare a depressed wage slave in Slough to somebody happily subsistence farming in Bongo-Bongo Land?
"Stop adding up the wealth of the poor" Felix Salmon nails the stupidity. http://t.co/JMWe3p6i13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just think how depressed he would be if he didn't have a job.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:But the bolded bit suggests you think that a system that leads to 85 people being richer than half the world is a good and fair one. So what is the justification for it, in your eyes?
Given the current state of 'global' governance, does it make sense to talk of a 'system'? Isn't this a bit like discussing whether it's a good thing that 70% of the Earth's surface is water when so many live in cramped conditions.

And isn't talk of people being 'richer' another potential category error? Yes, there are plenty of people in the world caused great suffering because of material poverty and disease, but are there not lots of people living simple but contented lives, who would barely register on any $ measurement of their life?

Can we meaningfully compare a depressed wage slave in Slough to somebody happily subsistence farming in Bongo-Bongo Land?
"Stop adding up the wealth of the poor" Felix Salmon nails the stupidity. http://t.co/JMWe3p6i13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a good article on why the figure is wrong. I'm not sure it's a particularly convincing idea against the idea of adding up the wealth of the poor though, beyond 'they didn't manage it this time/it's really hard to do'.

The actual idea of adding it up and comparing still seems legit to me. 'The top 85 richest people have $1.7tr!!!!!' isn't as powerful as 'The top 85 richest people in the world have $1.7tr which is the same combined wealth as [massive number of people] who make up [large proportion of the world's population]'.

There's still no doubt that there are a f*ck load of people who don't 'have' $1.7tr' between them. It's just really difficult (maybe impossible - what does 'have' mean?) to put a number on it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Went to Middlebrook today against my better judgment as it's always heaving there on a Sunday. We'd seen a dining table we wanted on Wednesday and had gone back to buy it today. In the intervening 3 days the feckin price had gone up by £100 :evil: and they weren't for budging.

Needless to say I'll be waiting for the sales at Easter when it will probably be back at Wednesdays price :crazy:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Went to Middlebrook today against my better judgment as it's always heaving there on a Sunday. We'd seen a dining table we wanted on Wednesday and had gone back to buy it today. In the intervening 3 days the feckin price had gone up by £100 :evil: and they weren't for budging.

Needless to say I'll be waiting for the sales at Easter when it will probably be back at Wednesdays price :crazy:
They obviously saw you looking at it.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Went to Middlebrook today against my better judgment as it's always heaving there on a Sunday. We'd seen a dining table we wanted on Wednesday and had gone back to buy it today. In the intervening 3 days the feckin price had gone up by £100 :evil: and they weren't for budging.

If it'd a chain ... & the shopping 'malls' normally are, they usually have little room for manoeuvre .... it may even be the place they are using as a particular price window so they can later drop it and claim the reduced price is a genuine saving.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I'm offering five internet pounds at 2-1 that Pistorious gets off with it, er, is found not guilty.
I see that Zebedee's turning on the waterworks again. :roll:

Mrs Steenkamp's clearly having none of it, mind. Crikey. :shock:

May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 pm

I mean feck the fact he shot someone.

He takes in abandoned animals. So that is all ok......

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
It's a good article on why the figure is wrong. I'm not sure it's a particularly convincing idea against the idea of adding up the wealth of the poor though, beyond 'they didn't manage it this time/it's really hard to do'.

The actual idea of adding it up and comparing still seems legit to me. 'The top 85 richest people have $1.7tr!!!!!' isn't as powerful as 'The top 85 richest people in the world have $1.7tr which is the same combined wealth as [massive number of people] who make up [large proportion of the world's population]'.

There's still no doubt that there are a f*ck load of people who don't 'have' $1.7tr' between them. It's just really difficult (maybe impossible - what does 'have' mean?) to put a number on it.
I disagree.

The nonsense of saying that a a very indebted, perhaps even totally insolvent, banker in New York is a lot worse off than someone with no possessions (but no liabilities) in sub-Saharan Africa is a good hypothetical example that focuses the mind on the folly of searching for and comparing these 'numbers'.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families