What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Yeah felt the same, will still tune in each week and watch em again in the meantime... Hopefully some more will leak?

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:04 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Yeah felt the same, will still tune in each week and watch em again in the meantime... Hopefully some more will leak?
Definitely hope so, as the first 4 are fantastic. Also a later episode is supposed to be even more shocking than the Red Wedding!!!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:32 am

GoT is good, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more once it overtakes the books, behind which, frankly, it lags. Folk rave about the Red Wedding on TV...

Anyway, basically, there are two programmes on TV atm, Inside No.9, and Last Week Tonight.

If you're wondering who to vote for, first watch John Oliver at his usual best nail everything wrong with the American justice system here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbmd5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then consider that that's the system (mandatory, non-means tested "contributions") Chris Grayling recently introduced for our Magistrates, without discretion. Then consider that that bastion of softy leftism Texas has decided treatment beats punishment and is closing its prisons. Then ponder whether the rest of your rights mean a lot if the legal aid cuts mean you can't afford to enforce them.

Then stick a cross next to the party with the best chance of beating the Tories.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Watched a film called 'The Family' last night on't Netflix. Mobster on witness protection moves to Normandy. Luc Besson directs. De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer. Not great, not bad. It passes a pleasant hour.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Just finished watching Nightcrawlers. Decent. Worth watching.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:27 am

Watched Predestination the other night, billed as some sort of mind-bending time travel thing. Fairly entertaining but a lot more predictable than it was intended to be. Good performances and worth watching if you like that sort of thing.
Also saw Edge of Tomorrow, not bad but wouldn't recommend it. Like a Groundhog Day meets Terminator meets Independence Day action sci-fi.
Need to find something more interesting to watch. I do have Nightcrawler.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:56 am

On Saturday I was dragged out to the inaugural Open Air Cinema in Capel Manor Gardens to watch Footloose (yes, that shit '80's film with Kevin Bacon)

We paid £12 per person (no concessions), had to bring our own booze, seats, beer, blankets, sleeping bags, jumpers, balaclavas, thermal socks, jackets, coats, gloves scarves and hats.

Nice, stress free evening.

Good company though.

Just now thawed out enough to type.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:On Saturday I was dragged out to the inaugural Open Air Cinema in Capel Manor Gardens to watch Footloose (yes, that shit '80's film with Kevin Bacon)

We paid £12 per person (no concessions), had to bring our own booze, seats, beer, blankets, sleeping bags, jumpers, balaclavas, thermal socks, jackets, coats, gloves scarves and hats.

Good company though.

The last (indeed, ONLY) time I watched open-air cinema was on the Greek Island of Andros 30+ years ago. We watched "Escape to Athena" a WW2 film with a Greek setting. It was in English with Greek subtitles and the audience was probably 60/40 locals to tourists. Even there it grew chilly as the night wore on.

Every time a German soldier was shot the crowd cheered like a goal had been scored. The traitorous individual, there's always one isn't there ... I hope that's not a spoiler, was booed from start to finish and when they were outed I thought some of the audience were going to charge the screen.

In those days Germans weren't well liked on the Greek islands. I'm pleased things have moved on.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:42 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:On Saturday I was dragged out to the inaugural Open Air Cinema in Capel Manor Gardens to watch Footloose (yes, that shit '80's film with Kevin Bacon)

Good company though.

The last (indeed, ONLY) time I watched open-air cinema was on the Greek Island of Andros 30+ years ago. We watched "Escape to Athena" a WW2 film with a Greek setting. It was in English with Greek subtitles and the audience was probably 60/40 locals to tourists. Even there it grew chilly as the night wore on.

Every time a German soldier was shot the crowd cheered like a goal had been scored. The traitorous individual, there's always one isn't there ... I hope that's not a spoiler, was booed from start to finish and when they were outed I thought some of the audience were going to charge the screen.

In those days Germans weren't well liked on the Greek islands. I'm pleased things have moved on.
Are you sure you weren't watching Cinema Paradiso in your garden and got confused?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Watched Ex Machina at the weekend.

Really really enjoyed it. Visually and aurally it is really breathtaking, and it's impressive that the tension remained throughout what is essentially a three-character film. Three top performances, too.

A friend i watched it with said that he felt it could've delved a bit deeper into the issues brought up, but i actually thought that was to its strength - bringing questions up but not answering them. Will require a second viewing, I feel.

Anyway, recommended.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Watched an oldie: The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Atmospheric film on the tragic, controversial subject of the troubles in Ireland.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:37 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Watched an oldie: The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Atmospheric film on the tragic, controversial subject of the troubles in Ireland.
Superb film IMO that one, Tango.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Watched an oldie: The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Atmospheric film on the tragic, controversial subject of the troubles in Ireland.
Indeed. Cillian Murphy is a cracking young actor. He must like flat caps; he played a lead role in the Brummy crime drama Peaky Blinders not long back. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Got to see Mr Turner. So dissapointed. The man's one of my painting heroes. Tim Spall is a fabuluous actor, but the film was a lot of nothing for me. Some great scenery and painting locations in there.
I have this on its way to me from LF. I'm interested in your remarks there, Tango as we may be coming at this from opposite ends. I have absolutely no interest in Turner, but am a huge fan of Mike Leigh.

I'll let you know how I get on with it. ;)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:44 pm

^^^ the part of his housekeeper makes the whole film worthwhile. She should have got a 'Best Supporting Actress' Oscar nomination.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:00 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^ the part of his housekeeper makes the whole film worthwhile. She should have got a 'Best Supporting Actress' Oscar nomination.
Won't say too much now, bobo. I'll wait for Bruce's take on it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Have you seen Michael Collins Bruce? ( late nineties or so) Liam Neeson, Alan Rickman and Julie Roberts are all excellent in it. More terrifying than all the gangster films put together.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Have you seen Michael Collins Bruce? ( late nineties or so) Liam Neeson, Alan Rickman and Julie Roberts are all excellent in it. More terrifying than all the gangster films put together.
I haven't, Tango, but I've just added it to my list. Cheers.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 pm

That reminds me of a mate of mine who is distantly related to 'some Irish politician' who he's never heard of. Turns out it was Eamon de Valera, the ignoramus! He isn't well represented in the Michael Collins film (as I remember it). Collins was also one of the historical characters in Roddy Doyle's brilliant novel A Star Called Henry, which I'm sure will appeal to any readers interested in the period.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 pm

^^^ wasn't he married to John Alderton? ?