What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Grassland has just gone on the list, General ;)

As has - A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, which has been recco'd by a trusted colleague.
that Pigeon looks good, added to my list n'all..

also appears in this list which is a good sign! http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblo ... -so-far-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I am absolutely stunned that anyone couldn't get on with Birdman. I thought it was not only an excellent, strong tale with superb acting, but (and I'm guessing that some must've missed this) the way that the film is presented as one single scene shot on a single camera, I think, is fecking genius. The amount of takes and re-takes, coupled with how long they must've spent piecing it all together must be staggering. The odd comedy line thrown in for the measure, too. Seriously, you naysayers, what on earth didn't you like about it? :conf:
similar to bobo to be honest - i just did not care about any of the characters, and from that it was hard to care about the drama. Just irritated the hell out of me. Maybe I should give it a second chance though.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Anyone seen the new Krays flick yet?
You mean the Tom Hardy one? looking forward to that! although they were hardly identical were they, so no need for him to play both parts? hope its not too gimmicky.

i only ask because theres another one doing the rounds, 'Rise of Krays' which follows their early years. watched 20mins of that. shite.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I am absolutely stunned that anyone couldn't get on with Birdman. I thought it was not only an excellent, strong tale with superb acting, but (and I'm guessing that some must've missed this) the way that the film is presented as one single scene shot on a single camera, I think, is fecking genius. The amount of takes and re-takes, coupled with how long they must've spent piecing it all together must be staggering. The odd comedy line thrown in for the measure, too. Seriously, you naysayers, what on earth didn't you like about it? :conf:
similar to bobo to be honest - i just did not care about any of the characters, and from that it was hard to care about the drama. Just irritated the hell out of me. Maybe I should give it a second chance though.
I asked around the office and I'm not sure I've ever known a film to polarise opinion quite like it. Not one person said "Yeah, I thought it was alright". It appears to be either 1 / 10 or 10 / 10 with everyone.

Anyhow, the two that are currently on their way are Glassland (Cheers General) and Sweet Sixteen (Cheers General, again).

So that's this weekend sorted!
May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
I asked around the office and I'm not sure I've ever known a film to polarise opinion quite like it. Not one person said "Yeah, I thought it was alright". It appears to be either 1 / 10 or 10 / 10 with everyone.

Anyhow, the two that are currently on their way are Glassland (Cheers General) and Sweet Sixteen (Cheers General, again).

So that's this weekend sorted!
Kinelll that's one slit yer wrists double bill!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Didn't know to post here, or the 'what are you listening to' thread. But on BBC I Player, Van Morrison up on Cyprus Avenue.
For the more discerning amongst you, wait until dark, close the curtains and open a decent bottle of red. Magical.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Sweet Sixteen. Superb stuff from Ken Loach as usual. However, I must confess to having turned the subtitles on.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:13 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Oh boy, what a cracking film. Southpaw, a boxing film that pulls no punches on areas even outside the ring. Don't know whether to award a personal Oscar to Jake Gillenhaal or the little girl who plays his daughter. Superbly acted by all, very much including Forest Whitaker. Watch this one.
Yeah watched this tonight. Good film. I'm a sucker for the father/daughter stories. I wanted fifty cent to get his head kicked in too tho...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Sweet Sixteen. Superb stuff from Ken Loach as usual. However, I must confess to having turned the subtitles on.
Cold dark bleak depravity on a Saturday night! Jus like X Factor

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:40 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Sweet Sixteen. Superb stuff from Ken Loach as usual. However, I must confess to having turned the subtitles on.
Cold dark bleak depravity on a Saturday night! Jus like X Factor
And now for another cheery motherfucker, ladies and gentlemen - Glassland. :)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Southern cnut

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Il Pirate wrote:

Southern cnut
It's the first time in my life that I've ever found any British accent to be almost entirely impregnable.

Just finished watching Glassland. Gritty is a shocking understatement, but moving, and superbly well acted out by the two central characters. Well worth watching.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:23 am

Sunshine on Leith it is not!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:30 am

Been getting into Sons of Anarchy. Enjoying it but Charlie Hunnam is bobbins, and his ridiculous swagger walk is pissing me off. The scenes where he reads his dad's journal are bollocks too.

Still, watched 6 episodes in 2 days so they must be doing something right.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Historious minimas. A road movie set in Patagonia featuring the stories of 3 people all trying to get to San Julian. A nice, gentle, feel good film with some beautiful cinematography. 7/10
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:00 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Historious minimas. A road movie set in Patagonia featuring the stories of 3 people all trying to get to San Julian. A nice, gentle, feel good film with some beautiful cinematography. 7/10
I liked cautiously about three years ago and posted a similar reserved approval... A quiet, very good hearted movie...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:30 am

went to see Legend. not quite how i imagined but really enjoyed it. its definitely more comical than you would expect

the prosthetics/make-up/CGI and effects used to create the two twins out of the same fella were amazing, and he plays both parts so well, although im not sure the Ronnie character was meant to be so slapstick? couple of things that bugged me, the Richardson gang were the least menacing gangsters ive ever seen, brother Charlie Kray was completely left out, and the strong matriarchal mother was portrayed as a bit of a rundown wet flannel. its quite long too, but i never got bored.
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:45 am

On the way to me are 'It Follows', recommended by the redoubtable General, and something called 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' recommended by Doris, apropos nothing other than one of her mates having had summat to do with it. :?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 am

When's GoT series 6? It seems like half a lifetime ago since series 5 - and that's not even out on DVD yet...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:When's GoT series 6? It seems like half a lifetime ago since series 5 - and that's not even out on DVD yet...
they only started filming in July. Expect it wont premiere until April 2016.