What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:00 pm

You could've saved yourself the bother and just become really disappointed somewhere around S1E2... :-)

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:17 pm

watched 'London Road' this morning. have had it on my watchlist a while despite some very mixed reviews and a poor score on imdb. but Olivia Coleman is in it which is enough for me... based on the National Theatre musical about the Ipswich Ripper murders in 2006.

bit of a strange one, interesting that the entire dialogue (lyrics) are the actual words of London Road residents recorded in interviews during the manhunt and the aftermath. Its quite surreal, the schadenfreude in me wanted more gory details but the murders are not depicted, in fact you never see any of the victims, or the killer - only clips of news reels reporting another body, except the newscasters are singing their reports! it goes past the arrest and conviction and focuses on the residents trying to restore some pride into their community, i found this half of the film a bit boring. Definitely one to watch tho, certainly original!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:watched 'London Road' this morning. have had it on my watchlist a while despite some very mixed reviews and a poor score on imdb. but Olivia Coleman is in it which is enough for me... based on the National Theatre musical about the Ipswich Ripper murders in 2006.

bit of a strange one, interesting that the entire dialogue (lyrics) are the actual words of London Road residents recorded in interviews during the manhunt and the aftermath. Its quite surreal, the schadenfreude in me wanted more gory details but the murders are not depicted, in fact you never see any of the victims, or the killer - only clips of news reels reporting another body, except the newscasters are singing their reports! it goes past the arrest and conviction and focuses on the residents trying to restore some pride into their community, i found this half of the film a bit boring. Definitely one to watch tho, certainly original!
It's a brave move to do a musical on something so brutal and recent!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:44 pm

yeah i thinks thats what offended the more negative reviewers. critics seem to like it. and the stage show was a success.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ju ... im-musical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:52 pm

speaking of Homeland...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:An Argentinian film this evening -The secret in their eyes - picked it up on a recommendation and really pleased I did. A clever and tense thriller based on a retired prosecutor writing a book on an unsolved case he'd worked on. 8/10
Great film. The scene at the football match is brilliant.

They are actually doing an English-language remake of it :roll:, think it's out next month.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 pm

The odd little tale of Mr Holmes as done by the B.B.C. film. Ever good at other era productions B.B.C have Ian McKellen playing a 93 year old Sherlock Holmes suffering from dementia as he tries to recollect an unsolved case from his past. Fifteen year old Milo Parker is brilliant as his housekeeper's son. Possibly not for everyone, but I enjoyed it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 am

^ I watched that only yesterday and thought it was a very gentle film, British to its core and very well done. As you say though, perhaps not for everyone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:47 am

clapton is god wrote:^ I watched that only yesterday and thought it was a very gentle film, British to its core and very well done. As you say though, perhaps not for everyone.
Sums it up well Clapton. I love films where steam train eras figure, although I prefer to picture Holmes in deerstalker and pipe. Why try to dispel myths where the characters are fictional anyway? That said, I had to laugh when, on that topic Holmes says, ( loosely) "Deerstalkers, never wore one, as for pipes I always preferred a cigar"..Rotters.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:58 am

I'm sure that some on here will be stalwart supporters of this very worthwhile petition I really do.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-get-count- ... responsive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:25 am

clapton is god wrote:I'm sure that some on here will be stalwart supporters of this very worthwhile petition I really do.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-get-count- ... responsive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shudder...

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:10 pm

I had an unexpected afternoon off today so myself and Mrs C went to the Trafford Centre Imax to see Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak.

An American Gothic horror movie, the first horror I have been to seen for many years. Always visually stunning, ever so slightly silly and predictable, but a good old character romp though the blood flowing walls of a crumbling Cumberland mansion. Yep, it was okay, good, probably better than that.

This was the very first showing, I believe, and there was just four people inside the cinema. Don't expect a long run. And how loud is that Imax ad at the start of the film!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e6f2mb/live/c9bj3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The BBC is showing professional gaming, live....

This appears to be two teams of Koreans playing professional video games, watched by around 32m people online. Bizarre.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:40 pm

It's bigger than the film industry isn't it? Or have i just made that up.

Just read that in 2013, League of Legends was worth US$624m. Not to be sniffed at.

Wasn't Stuart Holden a semi-professional gamer as well at some point? Sure he used to play Counterstrike competitively.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:52 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:It's bigger than the film industry isn't it? Or have i just made that up.

Just read that in 2013, League of Legends was worth US$624m. Not to be sniffed at.

Wasn't Stuart Holden a semi-professional gamer as well at some point? Sure he used to play Counterstrike competitively.
That's what's on at the moment - League of Legends... SKT are pwning AHQ. very, very strange...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:04 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:It's bigger than the film industry isn't it? Or have i just made that up.

you've made it up 8) the film industry is quite a bit bigger (2/3 as big again-ish) - but then the UK games industry doesn't get the massive govt support that the UK film industry gets...

holden was quite good until he knacked his cruciate controller cartilage... :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:26 pm

thebish wrote:

you've made it up 8) the film industry is quite a bit bigger (2/3 as big again-ish) - but then the UK games industry doesn't get the massive govt support that the UK film industry gets...

holden was quite good until he knacked his cruciate controller cartilage... :wink:
Pretty sure the gaming industry makes more money than films do globally now. Have done for a few years I think.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:12 pm

maybe - but not in the UK...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Watched Danny Collins this morning. bit of a familiar 'father tries to make amends to his estranged son' tale but its quite endearing and Pacino not doing Pacino was refreshing too. enjoyed it.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 am

really liked The Martian. have not read the book to compare but the film is great.