What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 am

General Mannerheim wrote:Been waiting ages for Love & Mercy (the Brian Wilson/beach boys biopic) to become available to home media, I missed it at the flicks because it only had a limited release. Anyway have seen it now and it was worth the wait. Amazing film, incredible story. Loved it.

I'm a big fan of Paul Giamati. He's a ruthless despicable bastard in this! Great performance.
It's also got Paul Dano and John Cusack in it, hasn't it? Them plus Giamatti tick all the right boxes for me.

Loving Paul Dano in War & Peace at the moment as well, (I hope the BBC commission a second series!)

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:25 pm

yep, they definitely deserve kudos. Elizabeth Banks is pretty flawless too. top film.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I watched Star Wars on Saturday - Film Snobs on here won't like it, as it's good and people speak in English on the most part, but it was fvckin mint
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:I watched Star Wars on Saturday - Film Snobs on here won't like it, as it's good and people speak in English on the most part, but it was fvckin mint
I watched it last week as well. Really enjoyed it, tough balance to strike for older fans and today's kids and it was spot on.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ta mu
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Anybody any idea when The Revenant gets released on DVD?
April (Expected)
Ta muchly
A quote from my film Mad stepson who watched it yesterday: "It's the one film I've seen which you absolutely MUST see on a big screen, it's incredible" This from a lad who's a proper film buff. I'm going Wednesday.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ta mu
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Anybody any idea when The Revenant gets released on DVD?
April (Expected)
Ta muchly
A quote from my film Mad stepson who watched it yesterday: "It's the one film I've seen which you absolutely MUST see on a big screen, it's incredible" This from a lad who's a proper film buff. I'm going Wednesday.
One that I want to go and watch also. I do like Di Caprio as an actor so looking forward to it

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Watched a film I mentioned earlier called Ratcatcher. Set in 1973 in the slums of Glasgow during the binmens strike, it follows the story of a young lad living with the guilt of his mate drowning. Gritty stuff. Well worth watching but you'll need to be ok with strong Glaswegian patter (or turn the subtitles on).
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 pm

I Got to watch Creed tonight. Make up guy should get an Oscar. Beyond that, just another Rocky type film too far. All been done before...lots of times, and better.. Plots for boxing films don't overstrain the imagination very much. Watch it if you must, but not on my rec.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I Got to watch Creed tonight. Make up guy should get an Oscar. Beyond that, just another Rocky type film too far. All been done before...lots of times, and better.. Plots for boxing films don't overstrain the imagination very much. Watch it if you must, but not on my rec.
As I suspected - cheers for the confirmation.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 am

Enjoyed Creed. The boxing scenes were at least realistic. Certainly better than the last few Rocky films.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:59 am

boltonboris wrote:I watched Star Wars on Saturday - Film Snobs on here won't like it, as it's good and people speak in English on the most part, but it was fvckin mint
Agreed, it was good. Not as good as the originals but close.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:28 am

jmjhb wrote:Enjoyed Creed. The boxing scenes were at least realistic. Certainly better than the last few Rocky films.
Each to his own, jmjhb, but that was the fastest boxing match ever for me, eleven rounds in about five minutes and all about the end? It's not that I have anything against boxing films, I started out watching Paul Newman in Somebody up there likes me,back in the late fifties, and have seen quite a lot since, Raging Bull etc, even as recently as Southpaw, which I found a decent film. The Rocky films were okay but a bridge too far is a common failing with film-makers when anything becomes popular. For me, that's what Creed is, a film that didn't need making.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:15 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:watched Creed. completely predictable, cliched and saccharine. Apollo's bastard love child plucked from poverty put into a life of privilege only to decide he likes punching people too much so sacks it off and flies to Philly, finds Rocky who trains him into a boxer. Theres also the token love interest, the brief derailment before the big fight, and the moment of clarity in the ring! classic Rocky. sounds terrible, but thought it was great.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Decided to watch (for the upteenth time) Escape to Victory. Stupid contrived nonsense..so why do I give it a "yeah" every time we score, when Pele does the overhead bit and Stallone saves a penalty....pillock... :lol:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Sisters. Two comic powerhouses in a easy watching giggle fest. Nothing new or ground breaking but steady laughs throughout. Biggest being saved for the bloopers reel at the end!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 am

I ernded the night by catching up with The Rack Pack on BBC i player. Sheesh, they surely didn't do the late Alex Higgins any favours although the guy that played him turned in a very respectable acting performance. The Higgins history is well known enough, but this was a real eye-opener.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The Higgins history is well known enough, but this was a real eye-opener.
It was a real eye opener when I was once stood in Millennium Nightclub in Alderley Edge and saw two bouncers drag, and when I say drag I meant the tips of his shoes were dragging across the floor in a cartoon style, a comatose Alex Higgins out of the champagne bar. I swear I've never seen anyone as drunk in my life (and I've seen a few ;) )

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:The Higgins history is well known enough, but this was a real eye-opener.
It was a real eye opener when I was once stood in Millennium Nightclub in Alderley Edge and saw two bouncers drag, and when I say drag I meant the tips of his shoes were dragging across the floor in a cartoon style, a comatose Alex Higgins out of the champagne bar. I swear I've never seen anyone as drunk in my life (and I've seen a few ;) )
Well, not wanting to spoil it if you intend watching and his drunken behaviour is well dealt with, but the main theme of The Rack Pack was Higgins's almost insane jealousy of Steve Davies's success as a player and personality.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:00 am

It's beyond me why anyone would think Higgins was anything other than a massive c*nt. Talented player yes of course, but total and utter dick.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:31 am

LeverEnd wrote:It's beyond me why anyone would think Higgins was anything other than a massive c*nt. Talented player yes of course, but total and utter dick.
Yeah. But what do you really think? :conf: