What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:46 am

Prufrock wrote:The last Stewart Lee is glorious.
Did he promise that it's his last?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:28 am

Don't worry everyone, he stays in North London, they won't be cancelling Lee Evans gigs in the MEN so you'll be fine.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 am

On a more serious note.

Recently rewatched both the Detectorists (low-key sitcom about two metal detectorists starring Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones) and The Trip (follows a fictionalized version of Rob Brydon and Steve Cogan on restaurant tours - Lake District in the first series, Italy in the second). I adore both, both wonderful bits of TV and anyone who hasn't seen then I would recommend massively (put aside my usual taste for smug self-declared intellectual meta comedy for a moment!)

Both are stunningly beautifully shot, in fantastic locations, and neither are gag-heavy, not really even funny so much, but amusing. They make you smile not laugh (the Trip funnier but still not really chasing laughs).

Anyway, the point of this is to ask if anyone has anything else similar I can watch now?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:53 pm

A series I always loved that could never be accused of chasing laughs was Jack Dee's Lead Balloon. There's some great characters in it and definitely worth a go if you didn't catch it last time around.

Stewart Lee - Normally I love the bloke but this last series he did a bit about his cat having the shits and him having to clean it up with little St George flags he had in the garage. It was pretty funny at first but he over egged it for so long it just became puerile and I ended up switching off. I haven't watched an episode since but I'll go back to the final episode if you're recommending it (I don't have to live in Islington to get it do I? :wink: )
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Started series 2 of Bosch starring Titus Welliver. Decent first episode. Love the books and really enjoyed series 1.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:A series I always loved that could never be accused of chasing laughs was Jack Dee's Lead Balloon. There's some great characters in it and definitely worth a go if you didn't catch it last time around.

Stewart Lee - Normally I love the bloke but this last series he did a bit about his cat having the shits and him having to clean it up with little St George flags he had in the garage. It was pretty funny at first but he over egged it for so long it just became puerile and I ended up switching off. I haven't watched an episode since but I'll go back to the final episode if you're recommending it (I don't have to live in Islington to get it do I? :wink: )
Pru, the teenage imperial arbiter on matters - funny will be along shortly to castigate you, you Lee Evans appreciator. Be warned.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:34 am

LeverEnd wrote:Started series 2 of Bosch starring Titus Welliver. Decent first episode. Love the books and really enjoyed series 1.
We finished S2 just yesterday. You'll be pleased to know it retains that high standard throughout. Great stuff. I heard someone describe it as 'What True Detective should have been.' High praise indeed.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:40 am

clapton is god wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Started series 2 of Bosch starring Titus Welliver. Decent first episode. Love the books and really enjoyed series 1.
We finished S2 just yesterday. You'll be pleased to know it retains that high standard throughout. Great stuff. I heard someone describe it as 'What True Detective should have been.' High praise indeed.

aye - good stuff! Interestingly, (maybe not!) - the new kettle I bought last week was made by Bosch - and it has the word Bosch stamped on one side. When I use it I often hum the feem toon! :D

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:25 am

Prufrock wrote:On a more serious note.

Recently rewatched both the Detectorists (low-key sitcom about two metal detectorists starring Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones) and The Trip (follows a fictionalized version of Rob Brydon and Steve Cogan on restaurant tours - Lake District in the first series, Italy in the second). I adore both, both wonderful bits of TV and anyone who hasn't seen then I would recommend massively (put aside my usual taste for smug self-declared intellectual meta comedy for a moment!)

Both are stunningly beautifully shot, in fantastic locations, and neither are gag-heavy, not really even funny so much, but amusing. They make you smile not laugh (the Trip funnier but still not really chasing laughs).

Anyway, the point of this is to ask if anyone has anything else similar I can watch now?
Have you seen A Cock & Bull Story? It's fairly similar to The Trip (it has Coogan and Brydon and directed by Michael Winterbottom)

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:31 am

the Trip is phenomenal tele.

blasted through a (another!) brilliant Netflix original series this weekend, titled 'Love'

created by Judd Apatow, its just a total grin fest all the way through. further justified my 25p a day!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:32 am

Prufrock wrote:On a more serious note.

Well I thought the trip was one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen. So I'll definitely be checking out the detectorists now on that basis. I did see a preview of it, but never got round to watching any of it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:41 pm

Will check out Lead Balloon and a Cock & Bull Story.

The Detectorists is fab. Because our Maud is away I've been watching less laugh out loud funny stuff* (as I don't really laugh much when watching something on my own - I think that's pretty common) and more "nice" things. Detectorists is funny in parts but what it really shares with the Trip is that it looks stunning (it also has a fab soundtrack) along with being amusing if not roll on the floor laughing. It's all out in very very green countryside, or olde pubs. Ideally I want something like that.

I discovered Community on Netflix over the weekend after a recommendation. It's glorious, best sit-com I've seen in years. I watched 13 episodes yesterday!

*Having said I've not watched much laugh out loud stuff I was recommended Anthony Jeselnik's stand up show also on Netflix. It's incredible. Best "new" (as in completely new to me) stand-up comic I've seen in years. V dark, his nearest English comparison would be Jimmy Carr, but miles better.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:45 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:the Trip is phenomenal tele.

blasted through a (another!) brilliant Netflix original series this weekend, titled 'Love'

created by Judd Apatow, its just a total grin fest all the way through. further justified my 25p a day!
I keep seeing that recommended under Community. I was going to check it out anyway as I'm very interested in Gillian Jacobs' acting career with all the acting she does that I like to watch. Will defo have a look now.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:the Trip is phenomenal tele.

I keep seeing that recommended under Community. I was going to check it out anyway as I'm very interested in Gillian Jacobs' acting career with all the acting she does that I like to watch. Will defo have a look now.
yes she is so good in this, plays spiky and troubled but without being sentimental and annoying. but its the other two (Bertie & Gus) that make it hilarious.

i made a start on Community before being side railed by Love.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 pm

The Trip (both) = outstanding telebox :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:58 pm

The Irish view on independence:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -rebellion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:53 am

last episode of Vinyl last night, really enjoyed this series! i can see why its gets some sniffy reviews from snobby music types but i thought it was excellent - the spotify playlist is ace too!

also watched the last episode of Girls, and tonight is the last Better Call Saul :( may have to start going out again...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Had time to watch two films last night while the wife watched all her paraphernalia in the lounge. Get Carter, the American version with Silvester Stallone as Jack Carter. Updated modernish version that kept pretty near to the storyline but had Mickey Rourke and a cameo role from Michael Caine. I wasn't impressed ,so,

I just had to re-watch Michael Caine's original version. Despite the flares, the dodgy haircuts, Alf Roberts as a gang boss and Ian Hendry dressed up like Parker from Thunderbirds, Caine's 1971 Get Carter won it hands down. Classic Brit stuff over a States version that never made it over here. Pretty obvious why.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm

oooooooof! line of duty tonight - absolutely cracking stuff!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Through perhaps some small miracles and with a little help from modern science (ahem) I have been able to witness Risen a new film that hasn't yet arrived generally. ( It was released about a month ago) The film's an interesting take on the death and Resurection of Jesus through the eyes of an unbeliever; a Roman tribune, who supervised the crucifiction. The film makers created an interesting tale by weaving their story mainly around Gospel canon (mainly, because they played with order of events a little) but not bending any accepted beliefs and using situations not beyond the bounds of possibility. If you take the film for what it is it's quite enjoyable and not a talking snake in sight. :wink: