The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 pm
Murder rate last year was 2/3 of what it was in 2005 (which was lower than it had been previously). Violent crime has been dropping for decades.

That stat the other day about London having more murders per head than NY is because last year New York had 10% of the number of murders it had 20 years ago.

But you know, it was better in the past.

Does unfortunately look like things are going backwards atm and it's a horrendous tragedy for the families, but the idea London is some lawless ghetto is nonsense.
Keep sleepwalking son and you'll fall down the well. :wink:

BTW NY cleaned up it's act by zero tolerance. not being bamboozled by cretinous lawyers spouting Human rights.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 am

^ oh aye. Who could imagine lawyers in the US!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 am
^ oh aye. Who could imagine lawyers in the US!
Don't carry the same clout as ours in your average scum bag case and human rights of victims come first.
Sensible judges and proper prison sentences as well.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:32 pm
Another four stabbings.

Who runs London?

Where are the lefties and Liberal hand wringers with their candlelit vigils?

Why is silly Lilly so quiet?

Wet nursing and shockingly poor judges running a not fit for purpose justice system, the writings been on the wall for years, build a few shacks on the moon and invite them to escape!
We've had over 30 years of right wing governments. We've had 8 years of Tory right wing government now - cutting security forces and police numbers.

Yet you want to blame a former pop star on social media.

Every single problem in this country is caused by people like you. You've had your way for over 30 years. Your politics are how we've got here.

Suck it up sonny and take responsibility.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 am

Every single problem in this country is caused by people like you. You've had your way for over 30 years. Your politics are how we've got here.Suck it up sonny and take responsibility.
Now there's a wild statement. As if any individual gets so much as anything beyond a cross on a voting slip and whichever government party gets in the voters have any say on anything. The country is in the mess it's in for many reasons beyond our control or understanding. The main one will ever be: Despite all the taxing, cuts and the ever open hand of government who think D.I.Y running of it all is the answer, where does all the money go? Privatisation rules the air waves and organises trips into space, our leadersa proudly donate great sums to foreign aid yet they can't run a bus or train service efficiently and the government want cuts on social services, police, amenities and just about anything that will rake in a few billion more in taxes, and town councils are now a functional part of the great D.I.Y cut it yourself movement of the blind leading the blind solution. Take a look around your own parks, streets, roads pitted with potholes and everincreasing council taxes and blame that on any "people like you"..

Answers, if you have any, on a postcard to Chancellor of the Exchequer, Downing Street, London.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Every single problem in this country is caused by people like you. You've had your way for over 30 years. Your politics are how we've got here.Suck it up sonny and take responsibility.
Now there's a wild statement. As if any individual gets so much as anything beyond a cross on a voting slip and whichever government party gets in the voters have any say on anything. The country is in the mess it's in for many reasons beyond our control or understanding. The main one will ever be: Despite all the taxing, cuts and the ever open hand of government who think D.I.Y running of it all is the answer, where does all the money go? Privatisation rules the air waves and organises trips into space, our leadersa proudly donate great sums to foreign aid yet they can't run a bus or train service efficiently and the government want cuts on social services, police, amenities and just about anything that will rake in a few billion more in taxes, and town councils are now a functional part of the great D.I.Y cut it yourself movement of the blind leading the blind solution. Take a look around your own parks, streets, roads pitted with potholes and everincreasing council taxes and blame that on any "people like you"..

Answers, if you have any, on a postcard to Chancellor of the Exchequer, Downing Street, London.
And we're here because we've followed right wing economic policies since 1979, irrespective of the detriment to our society, values and its communities.

We've shamelessly voted for parties who put big business first, and people second. And then we complain......about it and try to blame people who've had no influence at all over any of that. Because we're led blind by a scaremongering media who tell us it has to be "this way" or else.

Then the EU are blamed, the EU - are a symptom - not a cause. But its easy for the media to pin the blame there and people go along with it. Because its easier doing that than looking inwards.

I have a huge amount of faith in us, we're not a greedy or selfish society. We do have a superb ability to rally round and support each other. It just seems that we forget that ability all too often and do not reflect what we really need and want when it comes down to the ballot box - all to often led astray by fear.

I

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

And we're here because we've followed right wing economic policies since 1979, irrespective of the detriment to our society, values and its communities.

We've shamelessly voted for parties who put big business first, and people second. And then we complain......about it and try to blame people who've had no influence at all over any of that. Because we're led blind by a scaremongering media who tell us it has to be "this way" or else.

Then the EU are blamed, the EU - are a symptom - not a cause. But its easy for the media to pin the blame there and people go along with it. Because its easier doing that than looking inwards.

I have a huge amount of faith in us, we're not a greedy or selfish society. We do have a superb ability to rally round and support each other. It just seems that we forget that ability all too often and do not reflect what we really need and want when it comes down to the ballot box - all to often led astray by fear.

I
You're seriously stating that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were right wing!
The rest of your analysis above is of equal calibre, i.e. plain wrong.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I
I mean, yes they were. Economically. Unless you think rampant adoption of PFI contracts, generalised tax freezes or reductions and lowering of corporation tax aren't right wing policies?

Even Major said Blair was more right wing than he was.

Blair was the model of neoliberal politics...which are economically right wing without question.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I
I mean, yes they were. Economically. Unless you think rampant adoption of PFI contracts, generalised tax freezes or reductions and lowering of corporation tax aren't right wing policies?

Even Major said Blair was more right wing than he was.

Blair was the model of neoliberal politics...which are economically right wing without question.
Neoliberal politics are economically right wing without question?

You sir are absolutely totally without doubt the most egregious mind-searing user of Hyperbole in the history of All Mankind.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:26 pm

I read the LRB despite many of the articles being written by full on Militant weirdos (the good stuff is worth it).

I do have a rule though. No matter where I am in an article, if I see the word "neoliberal" being used in earnest, I stop there and then and move to the next article.

It's a nonsense word that is just short-hand for "adjective describing something political, rarely economical, that I don't like". No-one can ever tell you what they mean by it and anyone who uses it is fishing, hoping the big word will cover up that they are reaching.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Quite frankly, if Charles (or whoever else is monarch when Elizabeth II dies) is not Head of the Commonwealth, then the the Commonwealth should dissolve.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 pm

You sir are absolutely totally without doubt the most egregious mind-searing user of Hyperbole in the history of All Mankind.
Is this an example of hyperbole? I'm a bit confused... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:28 am

Is there a particular party whose interests are in taking back control and running the country efficiently and responsibly? I really want to vote for such but need some guidance as I can't seem to find one. I think a requirement would be that that such a government realise the country exists outside London, Downing Street and Westminster. A visit to the crumbling ruins that are Bolton and Farnworth, as examples of how not to do it, might be a starting point.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Is this an example of hyperbole? I'm a bit confused... :wink:
A little bit of Irony, Bathos, and Hyperbole. But nine parts Sarcasm. 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 pm

All those who mocked Trump as President. I can understand the gut impulse, but in actuality he's both turned around the US economy, and initiated the first meaningful talks with North Korea in over sixty years.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 pm
All those who mocked Trump as President. I can understand the gut impulse, but in actuality he's both turned around the US economy, and initiated the first meaningful talks with North Korea in over sixty years.
He's also destroying the environment, health and education systems, while making the rich richer. And we don't know how those North Korean talks will go.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 pm
He's also destroying the environment, health and education systems, while making the rich richer. And we don't know how those North Korean talks will go.
There has been no US president who hasn't destroyed the environment. Indeed the activities surrounding coal mining in the Appalachians were as equally devastating under JFK, Clinton, and Obama, as they were under any utterly capitalist Republican administration.
I'm not entirely convinced either that health and education are being destroyed by him.
I'll take your point that the North Korean talks do not, as yet, have an outcome.
I'm just saying he's not exactly turned out to be either a) the total moron, b) the total war-monger or c) the evil capitalist bastard he was portrayed to be.
Sometimes Power corrupts, but sometimes Power allows a different perspective to achieve things that were thought impossible.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:49 pm

So much for getting out of Syria though. The man is a massive massive prick.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:49 pm
So much for getting out of Syria though. The man is a massive massive prick.
I do believe that that is one of his proudest attributes... :lol: in more ways than one.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Cannot help but wondering why Corbyn and his motley crew are so vehemently opposed to ID checks at polling stations?