What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 15, 2008 9:35 pm

No, you're not wrong Boris, Young covered Gaye's song - and, perhaps controversially, improved upon it. Funnily enough this conversation came up today at work. Although Young's production is 80s-dated, it's much more soulful than Gaye's version, even though by and large Gaye unquestionably thoroughly outshines Young: Abraham, Martin and John is still amongst the songs that affects me most.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 15, 2008 10:04 pm

PS this week I are been mostly listening to leftfield Welsh music. Some lovely lads called Eitha Tal Ffranco toured with us last week, and they resemble Gorky's Zygotic Mynci with lyrics written by Half Man Half Biscuit, but in Welsh. Bit weirder but English-language is Eilir Pierce - Stop And Come With Me To The Pub could be a national anthem for these islands.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Awful cooking smells and rings on your fingers DBS ;) ?

I'm listening to Mogwai right now, they are the best.

On Monday night I saw Black Mountain. Best gig I've been to this year by a long margin, apart from any of my own. Each gig I play is the highlight of my life.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Going up to Delph tonight for the whit walks with me fatha - I'm hoping he'll drive as this can get a bit messy. :mrgreen:

(I'll request some Orange Juice for Tango :wink: )
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Living In A Boom Time. A live, solo acoustic set by Tom Robinson
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 17, 2008 8:52 am

Did anyone watch Later, last night? I caught the last half an hour or so. Narr then, I've not even bothered listening to anything by The Raconteurs up to now, purely based on me holding White Stripes in somewhat poor esteem. However, I was more than impressed with the couple of songs that I saw them belt out last night, especially one that sounded like Led Zepplin playing Irish Folk Rock.

Likewise, Nick Cave. Everything I've heard by him has served to put me off him all the more. Again, he closed the show with a blinding song.

Worth further investigation or am I being fished in by unrepresentative samples?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat May 17, 2008 8:58 am

You are dead right, Raconteurs are super, but I'm biased as I always liked the Stripes.

Check out Broken Boy Soldiers by the Rac's as a debut album.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 17, 2008 9:09 am

Batman wrote:You are dead right, Raconteurs are super, but I'm biased as I always liked the Stripes.

Check out Broken Boy Soldiers by the Rac's as a debut album.
Cheers mate. BBC2 haven't updated their site yet so I can get a link to the song that I'm on about. I'll check out some Raconteurs stuff on Youtube an' all.

Oh, and one to avoid - Glasvegas.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 5:55 pm

M'chum came round last night, enthused about Later as he'd seen the live teaser earlier in the week. I was unimpressed, frankly, although The Raconteurs were pleasing enough (besides the leaders' new hairstyles - White looks like a fat rent boy and Benson's curls take the set-up perilously close to a Led Zep tribute act). Glasvegas were, as you imply, monotonous cack, especially to those who lived through that early-80s moan-rock the first time. Spiteri was dull, too. Quite liked the bluegrass mob, mind.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:04 pm

I dunno if it's just me but the "new" bands of nowadays are just instantly forgettable.

Can anyone imagine the arctic cuntkeys being remember in 10 years like say The Who, Manic Street Preachers, Oasis etc...

Nobody has the kind of passion those bands had. Nowdays it's like nobody has anything to say. "I bet that you look good on the dancefloor" ... yeah? feck off you dull little shit.

Funnily enough though, the last time I saw something new (by which I mean I hadn't seen or heard of them before) was on Later! Seasick Steve I believe he was called, a solo "artist" with a guitar, microphone and a block he stamped his foot on. Sounds boring but he was exciting to watch, actually doing something interesting.

Guitar bands nowadays are just so bland, same old chords, same old stacato (spelling?) upstroke guitar style (see the strokes). Whatever happened to a song having some complexity to it yet being catchy?

Actually, should probably have posted this in the grumpy old men thread.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 17, 2008 6:08 pm

in fairness the arctics have more to say than most of their fellows, that song aside. i always chuckle at the irony when i walk past topman and they're playing "brianstorm"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 6:09 pm

There's a lot of crap about today, aye. But then, the Manic Street Preachers started out as irksome posturing sloganeers, so maybe the youngsters will surprise us. I doubt it, but without having doubt it wouldn't qualify as a surprise! :mrgreen:

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Care to post some lyrical proof?

Nonetheless I find the current idea of "make it sound like we did it in one weekend in a garage" really really dull.

I don't really understand what is wrong with putting out a record that sounds like some effort has gone into it, some craft.

The arctics are a prime example of this, I could replicate their sound quite easily and probably duplicate an entire album myself in a weekend. I guess this it the "myspace/social networking" culture?

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There's a lot of crap about today, aye. But then, the Manic Street Preachers started out as irksome posturing sloganeers, so maybe the youngsters will surprise us. I doubt it, but without having doubt it wouldn't qualify as a surprise! :mrgreen:
Compare Motorcycle Emptiness to I Bet you look good on the dancefloor.

Compare it in lyrical quality, musical ability and compare the actually craft gone into both records.

Given the technology available to bands nowadays, I'd be utterly ashamed of putting a record out that sounds like it was recorded 20 years ago.

Behind the manics arrogance, sloganeering and posturing there were always good tunes written by talented musicians who always made it sound like they'd put effort into their recordings.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 17, 2008 6:20 pm

i could post a few. end of the day every era has their mediocre comtemporaries, it's just as time moves on you forget them and only remember the who and david bowie. we haven't invented shit bands in the 00s
Running off over next doors garden
Before the hour is done
It's more a question of feeling
Than it is a question of fun
The confidence is the balaclava
I'm sure you'll baffle 'em good
Will the ending reek of salty cheeks
And runny makeup alone

Or will blood run down the face
Of a boy bewildered and scorned
And you'll find yourself in a skirmish
And you wish you'd never been born
And you tie yourself to the tracks
And there isn't no going back
And it's wrong wrong wrong
But we'll do it anyway cause we love a bit of trouble

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 17, 2008 6:23 pm

FD wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There's a lot of crap about today, aye. But then, the Manic Street Preachers started out as irksome posturing sloganeers, so maybe the youngsters will surprise us. I doubt it, but without having doubt it wouldn't qualify as a surprise! :mrgreen:
Compare Motorcycle Emptiness to I Bet you look good on the dancefloor.
this is like comparing ben hur to a disney film. I Bet you look good on the dancefloor is a poppy, catchy commercial single designed to launch the arctic monkeys. the manics have had their share of commercial songs where perhaps the lyrical content slips

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 6:24 pm

Alternatively, compare this
You... love... us...
You love us
You love us
You love
You love us
Oh you love us
You love
You love us
You love us
You love us
with this

As it happens I quite like the Manics, when I originally disliked them. I'm just hoping that some of today's crop can repeat the trick.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Alternatively, compare this
You... love... us...
You love us
You love us
You love
You love us
Oh you love us
You love
You love us
You love us
You love us
with this

As it happens I quite like the Manics, when I originally disliked them. I'm just hoping that some of today's crop can repeat the trick.
I hardly think it's fair to quote JUST the chorus from that song mate...how about printing the rest of the lyrics?

For the record I got as far as "Who's that girl there" before rolling my eyes. Then got as far as "He's a scummy man" before I stopped reading. Sorry.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 6:28 pm

Fair enough, each to their own, lest the world become dull.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:29 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:this is like comparing ben hur to a disney film. I Bet you look good on the dancefloor is a poppy, catchy commercial single designed to launch the arctic monkeys. the manics have had their share of commercial songs where perhaps the lyrical content slips
Yeah...Everything Must Go, a heartfelt rendition about their missing best friend.

Or Tsunami, Design For Life, The Everlasting, Faster, La Tristesse Durera or even Motown Junk.

Compromising lyrical content for commercial success is not an accusation I feel can be aimed at the manics.