Summer holidays...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer holidays...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:So, is it worth the Gooner family braving 'up north' for a holiday next year? And if so what part of 'up north' do people recomend? In the last 15 years the only time i have been north of the midlands was to York for a long weekend. There must be other places worthy of a visit? The lakes? The dales? Which is best? Is it always cold?
Northumberland is brilliant. As beautiful as anywhere in the UK but a lot quieter.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:So, is it worth the Gooner family braving 'up north' for a holiday next year? And if so what part of 'up north' do people recomend? In the last 15 years the only time i have been north of the midlands was to York for a long weekend. There must be other places worthy of a visit? The lakes? The dales? Which is best? Is it always cold?
Does London really smell every high tide?
Dunno, I don't live there! :)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Northumberland is brilliant. As beautiful as anywhere in the UK but a lot quieter.
My inlaws went there a few years back and said it was lovely - that's on the east coast, right?! :oops:

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Yes.

But if you're skint you can always chip a bit of gold off the pavement to tide you by.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:00 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Yes.

But if you're skint you can always chip a bit of gold off the pavement to tide you by.

:D Thought I saw Arsene hard at work with a chisel when I was there the other day. If Gary the Enfield falls into a pot hole up in North London it'll be cos Wengers trying to chip up enough to buy Cahill! :mrgreen:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
My inlaws went there a few years back and said it was lovely - that's on the east coast, right?! :oops:
If you are prepared to tolerate high rain potential, and do that wonderful Northern trick... Not worry about it, put on the waterproofs and go anyway... I'd go to the Yorkshire Dales... And rent a cottage in Ingleton... Do the nice, easy, 1000 steps waterfall walk... walk up Ingleborough... Then Whernside... then Pen y Ghent... [Google Yorkshire Three Peaks]... Visit local markets... take a trip to Lancaster and visit the Castle and Abbey...

Or the Lakes - the most beautiful part of the North... just a bit full compared to the Dales... choose anywhere... it's all stunning...

Northumberland is, indeed, lovely, though not as dramatic as the other two... but certainly emptier... I like it a lot...

Though the Dales my favourite (I can still manage the hills!).

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:00 am

One from left field for you, the Lincolnshire Wolds. Theres f*ck all there until you get to Skegness (and really, you don't want to get to Skegness) but lovely all the same.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 am

When I say lovely, I mean really lovely. And very quiet. If you like that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 am

Gooner Girl wrote:So, is it worth the Gooner family braving 'up north' for a holiday next year?
No. There's nothing for your sort round here. Stay on the road and keep clear of the moors!
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Norfolk is amazing. Just so different.

Then North Wales. You could pop by.

I love the Cotswolds, but doesn't really fit with trapesing two 18m yr olds around.

But ffs get a map. Geography is clearly not a strenght is it !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Do The Lakes.

There are busy bits like Windermere and Ambleside, but there is sooooooooo much more.

My favourite part is the North Lakes around Derwentwater (Keswick) Braithwaite and Buttermere. Just stunning.

It does get cold and wet, but then, it IS the Lake District!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Went to Bowness at weekend and that was fantastic - the weather helped

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Went to Bowness at weekend and that was fantastic - the weather helped

You a glow in the dark Jap then?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:05 am

Careful, thebish is online