Politics, The Election May 2015

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
30%
Conservatives
30%
Liberal Democrats
5%
UKIP
15%
Green Party
13%
SNP
3%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 40

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Politics, The Election May 2015

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... m#comments

One look at that sorry bunch of losers and UKIP has finally got my vote in May.
Never doubted it for a minute.
Well I have.
:-) Given you like to read the Guardian, I'm surprised that you missed this little piece, that suggests that you're probably more European than you might want to admit. ;-)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... n-ancestry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:43 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Well I have.
:-) Given you like to read the Guardian, I'm surprised that you missed this little piece, that suggests that you're probably more European than you might want to admit. ;-)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... n-ancestry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When younger I had blonde hair, still got the blue eyes :mrgreen:

Anyway I didn't miss it, I was and still am looking for which EU department put pennies into that study whilst acknowledging the guy that did it was a brilliant man and its more than likely true :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 am

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Well I have.

When younger I had blonde hair, still got the blue eyes :mrgreen:

Anyway I didn't miss it, I was and still am looking for which EU department put pennies into that study whilst acknowledging the guy that did it was a brilliant man and its more than likely true :wink:
I reckon at 30%, if we deport your hand and legs, that might just about cover it. ;-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:10 am

Not having that. Look at that colour-coded map. "West Yorkshire"?! Do fcuk off!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:03 am

Hoboh wrote:

careful how you go there, Hobes... UKIP's policy on EU withdrawal (according to their policy chief and manifesto writer) is remarkably (some might say suspiciously) similar to Big Dave's big plan...

apparently - they'd be quite happy to stay in the EU were it reformed...

forgive me for thinking that's not quite the impression they like the average punter to get from their prnouncements...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm no fan of Cameron, but why all the hoo-hah about his remark that he wouldn't stand for a 3rd term if elected this time? Just seemed like an honest answer to a straight question to me. - which given today's politicians should be applauded!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'm no fan of Cameron, but why all the hoo-hah about his remark that he wouldn't stand for a 3rd term if elected this time? Just seemed like an honest answer to a straight question to me. - which given today's politicians should be applauded!
You mean 'honest Dave' who said this about the Lisbon treaty
“I will give this cast-iron guarantee: If I become PM a Conservative government will hold a referendum on any EU treaty that emerges from these negotiations. No treaty should be ratified without consulting the British people in a referendum.”
Or this in 2010

“I know that people feel rather cheated that they did not have a referendum on the European constitution and I am determined that we never let that happen again.
“You send people to make decisions, to represent your views, but you don’t send people there to give away powers that we all have as British citizens. That shouldn’t ever happen again without a referendum.”
The man has not got an 'honest' bone in his body!

And we are supposed to believe this attempt to head off UKIP?
David Cameron has said he would be “delighted” to stage an early referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU, if the Conservatives get voted into power in the general election next May.
The Prime Minister said that he wants to re-draft the terms on which the country is a member of the European Union and bring forward the referendum before the current agreed deadline of the end of 2017.
Not forgetting the all time classic
David Cameron has said the UK will not pay a £1.7bn budget surcharge to the EU
PM?

R-Sole!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

careful how you go there, Hobes... UKIP's policy on EU withdrawal (according to their policy chief and manifesto writer) is remarkably (some might say suspiciously) similar to Big Dave's big plan...

apparently - they'd be quite happy to stay in the EU were it reformed...

forgive me for thinking that's not quite the impression they like the average punter to get from their prnouncements...
- We would review all legislation and regulations from the EU (3,600 new laws since 2010) and remove those which hamper British prosperity and competitiveness.

– We would negotiate a bespoke trade agreement with the EU to enable our businesses to continue trading to mutual advantage.

– UKIP would not seek to remain in the European Free Trade Area (EFTA) or European Economic Area (EEA) while those treaties maintain a principle of free movement of labour, which prevents the UK managing its own borders.

– We would reoccupy the UK’s vacant seat at the World Trade Organisation, ensuring that we continue to enjoy ‘most favoured nation’ status in trade with the EU, as is required under WTO rules.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'm no fan of Cameron, but why all the hoo-hah about his remark that he wouldn't stand for a 3rd term if elected this time? Just seemed like an honest answer to a straight question to me. - which given today's politicians should be applauded!
That's where I was with it. Pretty much a non-story for me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 pm

It's a story because a) it's massively presumptuous, and b) is a spectacularly stupid thing to do and their political reporters.

The "honest answer" line is balls. You can't just pick one thing at random to be frank about and then go "what, I'm being honest?!"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:It's a story because a) it's massively presumptuous, and b) is a spectacularly stupid thing to do and their political reporters.
The "honest answer" line is balls. You can't just pick one thing at random to be frank about and then go "what, I'm being honest?!"
Not being picky here Pru but I've been on a spot of the Irish and I cannot fathom that sentence out at all :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:16 pm

thebish wrote:check it out for yourself hobes..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... urope.html
Asked “if you could negotiate reform you were happy with would you stay in?” Miss Evans replied: “Yes probably.”

She continued: “But I don’t think that is going to happen - that is the problem. If we could reform the EU that would be wonderful, but unfortunately this is an organisation that just won’t reform.
:D

In all honesty, what makes you think a large number of Euro-sceptics wouldn't go along with massive reforms? Most of us object to all the political crap that keeps getting added plus the urge to start dictating to individual countries as if it was an elected government, trade yes, the rest no way José :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:19 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Prufrock wrote:It's a story because a) it's massively presumptuous, and b) is a spectacularly stupid thing to do and their political reporters.
Not being picky here Pru but I've been on a spot of the Irish and I cannot fathom that sentence out at all :conf:
Ugh autocorrect. " they're ". It's bad politics, and they're political reporters, so they're going to report it!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:20 pm

it's basically what cameron says - let's try and reform it so we can stay in...

not exactly the idea that with UKIP you know what you're getting - out of the EU...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:20 pm

:conf:

It's not at all presumptuous. He was asked "If you remain Prime Minister after the next election would you go for a third term" - As someone who is never likely to cast my vote in his direction, I don't think saying no is at all presumptuous to the question posed.

Non-story. Pretty much forgot about it, already (other then agreeing with HG that it's owt n nowt.)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 pm

thebish wrote:it's basically what cameron says - let's try and reform it so we can stay in...

not exactly the idea that with UKIP you know what you're getting - out of the EU...
You do know what you are getting, she was asked a hypothetical question and gave a hypothetical answer, it would be nice but......
There is no question of any negotiating before a referendum unless the Germans start to panic if they realise we might actually, really go.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am

Worthy4England wrote:

:conf:

It's not at all presumptuous. He was asked "If you remain Prime Minister after the next election would you go for a third term" - As someone who is never likely to cast my vote in his direction, I don't think saying no is at all presumptuous to the question posed.

Non-story. Pretty much forgot about it, already (other then agreeing with HG that it's owt n nowt.)
whilst I agree it is a nothing story - he didn't just say that.. what he said he'd serve a full second term. That naturally prompts questions...

there would HAVE to be a tory leadership election in fairly well in advance of the next election to replace him - so - with a new tory leader - what is his position as prime minister? Unless he doesn't serve a full second term - stopping a year short for the new guy to bed in - then there is overlap with two leaders in charge - it's a natural question to ask as it hasn't happened before...

also - "politically speaking" - there are those who fear that his announcelent fires the gun on the succession race and thus muddies the water for this election campaign and the whole of his next term should he secure one...

not exactly a huge story (like clarkson not getting a new contract) - but this is the kind of stuff that passes for news when you have 24hr rolling news - they have to talk about something to fill the time - and there are some reasonable questions to be asked about how him stepping down (with fixed term parliaments) actually works in practice.

he could very easily have not answered the question by saying that it was a question for another time and he was now fully focussed on winning an outright majority for the Tories as there are only 24hrs to save the NHS - or summat...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:02 am

Aye. I also thought Gove (whilst genuinely being quite impressive?!) gave a pretty clear insight into the Tory mentality on Newsnight when he kept comparing it to America. Yes, Michael, but Cameron isn't our "president", he didn't win a "presidential" election, and there won't be any Tory primaries going on in the background that won't get in the way of governing.

I'm *still* shocked on an almost daily basis by how bad Cameron is at the day-to-day of politics, especially given his one "job" in the *real world* was in PR.

Also liked the wag who commented that it was a bit rich to say he wouldn't try to win a third election before he'd even won one :D.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:32 am

Is that the sound of posters getting pulped I hear? :D

May the bridges I burn light your way