The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:53 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:40 am
So, I've just been looking through Truss's cabinet and generally nodding until we get to ' Jacob Rees-Mogg, business, energy and industrial strategy secretary' He's a climate change denier!
You nodded through this as health secretary?

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/a ... l-2015.jpg

The utterly incompetent and useless braverman as Home Secretary?

Like Pru says we’ve had a decade of sinking to ever lower depths in quality of cabinets but I’m astounded how far this one has sunk.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:53 pm

The queen appears to be seriously ill. Lots of grim faces in parliament whilst briefing notes were passed round and verbal briefings given.

Sad times if so.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:53 pm
The queen appears to be seriously ill. Lots of grim faces in parliament whilst briefing notes were passed round and verbal briefings given.

Sad times if so.
Indeed - lots of family seem to be heading at a rate of knots to Balmoral...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:53 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:40 am
So, I've just been looking through Truss's cabinet and generally nodding until we get to ' Jacob Rees-Mogg, business, energy and industrial strategy secretary' He's a climate change denier!
You nodded through this as health secretary?

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/a ... l-2015.jpg

The utterly incompetent and useless braverman as Home Secretary?

Like Pru says we’ve had a decade of sinking to ever lower depths in quality of cabinets but I’m astounded how far this one has sunk.
I refuse to click on any link for the mirror, in exactly the same way I refuse to click on a link for the mail. Thanks anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:57 pm

^ It was Ken Clarke in drag, I think.

Re Her Maj. I'm no royalist but full of admiration for her. I really hope she pulls through because in the current fooked up state the UK is in right now, the last thing we need to lose is her constant, reassuring presence.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:57 pm

Re Her Maj. I'm no royalist but full of admiration for her. I really hope she pulls through because in the current fooked up state the UK is in right now, the last thing we need to lose is her constant, reassuring presence.
Exact same. I’m no fan of a royal family. But she’s been an extraordinary monarch. And this is a very sad time indeed. Even for someone who thinks the concept is ludicrous.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:21 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:57 pm

Exact same. I’m no fan of a royal family. But she’s been an extraordinary monarch. And this is a very sad time indeed. Even for someone who thinks the concept is ludicrous.
In fairness, I've become a larger fan of the direct monarchy (Head of State) as I've seen the quality of people who might be elected President, evolve over time - the hanger's on, I have no interest in....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 pm

The big "energy" announcement....they didn't tell us what it'll cost, they didn't actually tell us what the cap will be or what it'll actually mean to anyone in terms of "how much will a "unit" of gas or electricity actually be charged at (not sure electricity got a mention at all, so nothing to prevent gas being capped and electricity spiralling upwards...All in all nothing to see here but tissue paper and some comfort for frackers and big energy business that tomorrow's tax payer will foot the bill...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 pm
The big "energy" announcement....they didn't tell us what it'll cost, they didn't actually tell us what the cap will be or what it'll actually mean to anyone in terms of "how much will a "unit" of gas or electricity actually be charged at (not sure electricity got a mention at all, so nothing to prevent gas being capped and electricity spiralling upwards...All in all nothing to see here but tissue paper and some comfort for frackers and big energy business that tomorrow's tax payer will foot the bill...
Not to mention those of us reliant on oil for heating and hot water don't even have a cap. Assuming the cap means we pay what we've been paying so far, then those muti billion pound excess profits recently announced have just been guaranteed for a further 2 years with almost certainly the taxpayer and consumer footing the bill. Crock of shit, but enough will lap it up as Dizzy Lizzy saving us :roll:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:10 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Not to mention those of us reliant on oil for heating and hot water don't even have a cap. Assuming the cap means we pay what we've been paying so far, then those muti billion pound excess profits recently announced have just been guaranteed for a further 2 years with almost certainly the taxpayer and consumer footing the bill. Crock of shit, but enough will lap it up as Dizzy Lizzy saving us :roll:
Quite AT. Nothing much about that at all. Same old Tory, same old story. Farage and me are poles apart on lots of topics, but I listened to an interview with him, with the Telegraph and the fundamentals, that for 12 years, this government has fecked us over for years to come is a common theme.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:10 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Quite AT. Nothing much about that at all. Same old Tory, same old story. Farage and me are poles apart on lots of topics, but I listened to an interview with him, with the Telegraph and the fundamentals, that for 12 years, this government has fecked us over for years to come is a common theme.
Hard to disagree. With the exception of the very rich getting significantly richer, I'm struggling to think of who has benefitted from the last 12 years. I'm just a little thankful that I live north of the border.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:20 pm

^^ The current winning narrative seems to be "you think we're shit?" "It could get a whole lot shitter" - I'm trying to work out how...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:28 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:20 pm
^^ The current winning narrative seems to be "you think we're shit?" "It could get a whole lot shitter" - I'm trying to work out how...
Every barrel has a bottom beyond which we can't sink; Time to bounce off it and come back. How, not known, but the determination has to come from somewhere. Whining about it will produce zilch. Are you listening Mrs Truss?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:28 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:20 pm
Every barrel has a bottom beyond which we can't sink; Time to bounce off it and come back. How, not known, but the determination has to come from somewhere. Whining about it will produce zilch. Are you listening Mrs Truss?
The first principle is the folk who have been in government for going on thirteen years aren’t going to fix the problems they’ve created as all they are offering is the same policies designed to protect their rich mates.

We need change and the first step is to get rid of this lot and hope that this can start to precipitate change. Nobody is offering change on the scale needed mainly because it would be too scary for people. So it has to be tackled in bite size chunks. The first bit is to remove the corruption. And you cant do that whilst you have former Shell employee receiving hundred thousand pound donations from a former BP exec (presumably a shareholder too) running the thing. It needs a fresh start.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 am

^^

Chapter One. Here's how we'll do it:

1. First, Open the box.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 am

'Suella Braverman says stopping migrant boat crossings will be priority as Home Secretary'.

This is the sort of stuff we heard from her predecessor. Regardless of folks' take on the issue itself, how about, just for once, a politician actually does something and then says, 'this is what I've done'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 am
'Suella Braverman says stopping migrant boat crossings will be priority as Home Secretary'.

This is the sort of stuff we heard from her predecessor. Regardless of folks' take on the issue itself, how about, just for once, a politician actually does something and then says, 'this is what I've done'.
How about she actually does something about issues that really matter first before worrying about a few asylum seekers and migrants on boats?

I’ve a suggestion…how about we repair relations with France and other EU countries so we can deal with the problem collaboratively as it’s the only way we will fix it.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:11 pm

I’m absolutely sick of the current government and I think today’s budget just takes the absolute piss. Many people are facing a really tough period ahead financially. Their mortgage rates will be rocketing, fuel bills increasing and inflation at 10%.

The governments answer? Tax cuts for the wealthiest based on some flimsy theory of that wealth trickling down to the people at the bottom. Even if that theory worked, it would take time for those at the bottom to see the benefit. They don’t have that time as their problems are immediate.

We’re the 6th largest economy in the world but it’s been run into an absolute dysfunctional mess with such large inequalities.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:56 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:11 pm
I’m absolutely sick of the current government and I think today’s budget just takes the absolute piss. Many people are facing a really tough period ahead financially. Their mortgage rates will be rocketing, fuel bills increasing and inflation at 10%.

The governments answer? Tax cuts for the wealthiest based on some flimsy theory of that wealth trickling down to the people at the bottom. Even if that theory worked, it would take time for those at the bottom to see the benefit. They don’t have that time as their problems are immediate.

We’re the 6th largest economy in the world but it’s been run into an absolute dysfunctional mess with such large inequalities.
They are borrowing insane amounts to hand to the richest 5%. They aren’t even hiding it anymore.

I think they know they’ve lost the next election and this is just the last swindle and plunder of public finances they can get away with.

It’s shameful.

I know a fair few Tory voters and not one is defending it and not one of them will vote for them at the next election.

Plenty will do their best to find some utter guff to defend this but I do think the game is up. Enough are seeing through it. How can a government who have borrowed more in their 12 years justify borrowing insane amounts more to prop up bankers, oil barons and the wealthiest 1% as public services collapse and people struggle to eat and heat their homes - I don’t think they can so it’s just be as ridiculous as you can so we feed our donors and then let the other lot clear up the entrails.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:39 pm

I agree with what you're saying in principle. But. They're not borrowing to "hand" anything to the richest 5%. That's not how tax works. They tax tax off people, not give it to them! Whatever your tax bracket, it was always your money in the first place.