The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:32 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:39 am

The only democratic ticket is a GE but we aren’t getting that
Here's a question, albeit hypothetical - if Sunak gets in (and I hope to feck he does) if a GE was called, who do you think would win?

See, I don't think it'd be the Labour walkover which it would've been a week ago.
I agree entirely. At least though we’d have two sets of defined policies to choose from and whatever happens would be a choice. Rather than Sunak chosen (rightly imo) without having to offer a single policy by Tory MPs.

I suspect the Tories have a very good chance at winning the next GE now. But I still think in the circumstances it’s right to go to the electorate now. They won’t. And at least we’ve avoided the disaster of a Johnson return.

I like Sunak as you know. I am concerned about some of his politics though. We have an economic black hole of the Tories making and we cannot and must not return to austerity to fix it. We know austerity failed this country and was one of the major things that led us down the Brexit road and we also have the horrific number of excess deaths that cutting of public services and benefits caused. Not to mention the horror stories from DWP that are sickening. More balance is required and that means imo things like the windfall taxes and raising corporation tax for the largest businesses to try and address the hole. Not just hammering public services and the poor that already can’t afford it.
I hear you mate - but if Labour can't win the next GE, whenever it is, they need to pack it in...
I get that. But I’d argue that in 2019 and 2020 nobody gave Labour a hope of winning the next GE and it was deemed a long rebuild.

They’ve got to a position where they’ve had their biggest poll leads in history through a combination of Tory incompetence and awfulness and Starmer making them respectable.

But I fear we are currently in 1990 rather than 1995.

Sunak will be popular with voters and I suspect will have enough to swing back much of the lost Tory vote especially down south and that will keep them in.

That’s my bet.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:51 pm

The country is going through economic apocalypse compared to 1995. Labour have had since 2010 to rebuild, not 2/3 years. Seriously, mate, I think they're fooked if the don't win the next one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:51 pm
The country is going through economic apocalypse compared to 1995. Labour have had since 2010 to rebuild, not 2/3 years. Seriously, mate, I think they're fooked if the don't win the next one.
They were invaded by extremists in 2015 so a bit like early 1980’s. How long did it take them to recover then?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:36 pm

Well, they can take as long as they want to rebuild of course and if 18/19 years in opposition is the norm, then that's fine...But if they can't win after this shitshow (which is probably the largest shitshow I can remember) then I'd think that would be quite troublesome for them, especially troublesome for Starmer and would open up the possibility of Labour's equivalent to Truss...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:36 pm
Well, they can take as long as they want to rebuild of course and if 18/19 years in opposition is the norm, then that's fine...But if they can't win after this shitshow (which is probably the largest shitshow I can remember) then I'd think that would be quite troublesome for them, especially troublesome for Starmer and would open up the possibility of Labour's equivalent to Truss...
Corbyn was labours truss. My view is Starmer is a stabilising sort and it’s who comes after (if they lose the next GE) that will really define things one way or another.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
They were invaded by extremists in 2015 so a bit like early 1980’s. How long did it take them to recover then?
The mistake is thinking they have just 'gone away', they haven't, the left know they would never get directly voted in and are for now staying under the counter.
Labour should win an election now Sunak is not as popular as you think, general opinion is yeah Truss crashed but Sunak laid the foundations previously.
Eat out and furlough will haunt him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
The mistake is thinking they have just 'gone away', they haven't, the left know they would never get directly voted in and are for now staying under the counter.
Labour should win an election now Sunak is not as popular as you think, general opinion is yeah Truss crashed but Sunak laid the foundations previously.
Your mistake is thinking they are brighter than they are. They aren’t. They’ve mainly left the party and formed nonsense ‘protest movements’ or alternative political parties you will never hear anything about.

Starmer has done an effective job of completely nullifying them. He controls the NEC and has effectively ensured MP selection will not pick the extremist types.

As for Sunak I think he will be popular. The people who dislike him are also extremists but most people I think will like him. I’m politically opposed to him and wouldn’t vote for his party. But I quite like him. I think he knows what he’s doing. It’s just what he’s doing I can’t agree with. But we know the electorate when all things are equal tend to vote Tory for whatever reason. I hope they don’t frankly as they last twelve years have been utterly abysmal and I can only see more cuts to those who can’t afford it to prop up the most wealthy. But we will see.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:23 am

I'm with Insano on Labour and Hobes on Sunak.

He's still useless. He's still connected to Party gate. The things he's popular for he didn't want to do (and won't now he's the top man). Public services are already f*cked and his go to will be more austerity. This winter is going to be *grim*.

There will be an initial bump (though I don't think they'll get back level) but the more people get to know him and associate him with the bin fire the more doomed he will be.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 am
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Your mistake is thinking they are brighter than they are. They aren’t. They’ve mainly left the party and formed nonsense ‘protest movements’ or alternative political parties you will never hear anything about.

Starmer has done an effective job of completely nullifying them. He controls the NEC and has effectively ensured MP selection will not pick the extremist types.

As for Sunak I think he will be popular. The people who dislike him are also extremists but most people I think will like him. I’m politically opposed to him and wouldn’t vote for his party. But I quite like him. I think he knows what he’s doing. It’s just what he’s doing I can’t agree with. But we know the electorate when all things are equal tend to vote Tory for whatever reason. I hope they don’t frankly as they last twelve years have been utterly abysmal and I can only see more cuts to those who can’t afford it to prop up the most wealthy. But we will see.
See you would say that wouldn't you, if Starmer is so much in change how come little miss doc marts is where she is and he can do nothing about her?
You should know better than pretending momentum has just evaporated, anyway we shall see when labour win the next election because two years and Sunak won't sort the growing problems out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:12 am
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

See you would say that wouldn't you, if Starmer is so much in change how come little miss doc marts is where she is and he can do nothing about her?
You should know better than pretending momentum has just evaporated, anyway we shall see when labour win the next election because two years and Sunak won't sort the growing problems out.
Angela Rayner has nothing to do with momentum and is not one of the people I was talking about. She’s been very critical of Corbyn and herself has explained why she doesn’t fit in with that sort of left wing movement.

So I don’t think she’s in any way associated with the sorts of left wing extremists I’m talking about. The people who want to ‘defund the police’ or such nonsense. Rayner for example takes a hardline on crime and anti social behaviour.

And I’d say that if anything she’s like Prescott. Associated with a bygone era but helping to move the party on.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:21 pm

^^ That would be the same Angela Rayner who continued to support JC, when pretty much all the Labour front bench resigned? The one who Momentum backed for Deputy PM? That one? :-)

I mean there's probably lots of grey areas, but to the average Fred or Sheila, I think you have a way to go to convince them, mate, about Angela Rayner's suitability. Much easier job on Starmer, they'll just nod off.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Oh to be Sunak. I'd reject Rees-Mogg resignation letter, until I had time to sack the bent fcuker.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm
Oh to be Sunak. I'd reject Rees-Mogg resignation letter, until I had time to sack the bent fcuker.
:lol:

I was just going to say, we're seeing the benefit of the Sunak premiership already.

By way of embarrassing Tories, can we ask him to get shot of Francois and Fabricant whist he's at it. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:48 pm

"We've got news that Rashee Sanook is now the prime minister".

Joe Biden 24/10/22
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:31 pm
:lol:

I was just going to say, we're seeing the benefit of the Sunak premiership already.

By way of embarrassing Tories, can we ask him to get shot of Francois and Fabricant whist he's at it. :D
It was quite funny listening to Francois yesterday spend 10 minutes announcing the EGR didn't have a clue who to pick (so they'll just carry on throwing shit at anyone who doesn't agree with them). Gonna be a bumpy ride...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:22 pm

Cruella has gone in. My pick would be give her the Secretary of State for the Performing Arts....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:21 pm
^^ That would be the same Angela Rayner who continued to support JC, when pretty much all the Labour front bench resigned? The one who Momentum backed for Deputy PM? That one? :-)

I mean there's probably lots of grey areas, but to the average Fred or Sheila, I think you have a way to go to convince them, mate, about Angela Rayner's suitability. Much easier job on Starmer, they'll just nod off.
Rayner was elected in 2015 so of course ended up wrapped up in the nonsense then. And her boyfriend made her a figurehead for the left. I’m not sure she’d be seen as that anymore given her recent interviews where she’s called the Labour Party now ‘proper and grown up and says she has seen the light on why it wasn’t before’.

I would say she’s grown above the stompy protest left wing stuff.

And frankly if you listen to her politics it’s quite different to the actual momentum types.

Association is I agree an issue. But Prescott managed it and as deputy helped unite the party and Rayner has a similar role. I think she’s definitely grown in the last two years out of the old student protest shell.

Starmer stayed in corbyns cabinet too but it’s clear he did so in order to have something to repair after it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 pm

Haha he's started already.

This government will have integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level... Unless you had to resign *checks notes* six days ago for a security breach.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 pm
Haha he's started already.

This government will have integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level... Unless you had to resign *checks notes* six days ago for a security breach.
Yup. Just fcuking bizarre.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 pm

Looking at Sunaks appalling cabinet I’m not as sure he’s the ‘sensible one’ after all. What a load of utter nonsense.

Disaster after disaster. Shameless.