Your greatest (and lowest) sporting moment?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 pm

High (rugby related): our team was down 15-12 with 2 minutes to go ... the opposition camped in our quarter ... they passed the ball out their backline, and being inside center I realised that besides myself the rest of our backline had been stuck in the ruck ... it was 5 on 1 ... took a gamble ... and scored a 190 metre intercept try to win the match.

Low (also rugby related): two weeks later ... breaking my arm in 3 places, and running around the pitch 2 minutes after it had happened (couldn't feel a thing), before looking down and seeing I had what looked liked 3 elbows on the one arm.

Extreme Low: my mother in tears as she saw a rather disjointed arm ... embarassed the hell out of me.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 pm

My best was when I hit a hole in one on the par 3 3rd hole at Gairloch golf club. My name was in the club house for this.

My worst moment was falling off a horse when trying my hand at show jumping. Broke my arm and wrist. Ouch!

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 pm

i was in the 100 metres at primary school

half way, i tripped up in my crappy white pumps and went arse over tit

the whole fackin school watching

laughing

pointing

:evil:

SATISFIED? :cry:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat May 26, 2007 1:07 am

Winning the Sprite Car Club of Australia annual rally in, err, um, yes, well 1967 - but being selected for my school football team and the chess representative team rate pretty highly.

I've had a few embarrassing moments in sport. One was not all that different to Cowdrill's in that it was the 100 yard sprint in my high school sports carnival. I am not and never have been a sprinter. Sammy the snail would be faster than me out of the blocks. I was not ever going to be other than last and I was fully aware of the fact. The only reason I entered was because you had to participate in a certain number of events.

I didn't trip over but I missed the start and with the rest of the field rapidly disappearing into the distance I stupidly yelled out "Oy, wait for me!" I must have yelled more than loudly as the whole crowd of teachers, pupils and parents lining the run erupted in laughter. I'm blushing now as I think back on that dreadful moment.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat May 26, 2007 2:13 am

So many memories, school long jump champion, represented school in athletics and rugy league. Played soccer for many years after leaving school but only ever scored one hatrick when playing in the Lancashire Senior League back in 1964 I believe when I was 19, I averaged 1 goal every two games that season!

Worst was in late 1968 when I snapped both cruciate ligaments in my right knee which ended my soccer playing days. In those days they used to open up the knee, say what a pity, sew it back up and put you out to pasture. They couldn't mend such knee damage in those days in the UK.

However, I did fight back to become quite a good badminton player, leg brace and all. Which I played competitively until the end of 2000, representing Hampshire Seniors along the way. Not bad for a "one leged" cripple.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Muse
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Muse » Sat May 26, 2007 2:28 am

Best: probably playing and scoring on the pitch at the reebok at the end of its first season (the day chelsea relegated us) or getting voted as player of the team by the opposition quite a few weeks on the trot last season

Worst: this is probably the time i was a sub for my primary school and when asked to get ready to go on i took my tracksuit bottoms off but shorts too by accident and that was pointed out by one of the other players sisters. luckily very few people saw and i think i went on to get 2 in that game but it still sticks with me for being one of the most embarrasing things I have ever done.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat May 26, 2007 5:04 pm

BEST:

Not sure if Poker counts as a sport, but if it does getting 3 consecutive top 6 finishes in tournaments containing 120+ people certainly ranks up there.

As for football it has to be when I was playing college football against a greedy leftback. I was playing left-mid at the time so was taking my time walking back from a goalkick watching the play unfold by looking over my shoulder just in case a chance arose. I saw the keeper throw a risky pass so I quickly robbed the leftback, dribbled infield, shrugged off the biggest guy on the pitch (who was a just shy of a foot taller than me) and while off balance managed to tuck home with my weaker left foot (back when I didn't know how to kick properly with it). Was told it went in by people on the pitch but I never saw it. It was just one of those moments where everything seems to come together perfectly.

WORST:

Scoring an own-goal in my Sunday League debut and getting leg cramp in both legs 75 mins in. Coming last in a mutiple school swimming competition at Radcliffe baths (least I was better than the rest at my school :)). But I think the worst definitely has to be tearing a ligament in my ankle playing 5 aside then walking two miles home thinking it was just another 'sprain'.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Mar wrote: Coming last in a mutiple school swimming competition at Radcliffe baths
Ah yes, as an eager schoolboy I once, quite foolishly, entered myself into a backstroke race as there was one place left and no-one else was up for it. Starting in Lane 1, I finished last.............. in Lane 3. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat May 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Mar wrote: Coming last in a mutiple school swimming competition at Radcliffe baths
Ah yes, [/quote]

Haha, snap. Same place too :p
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Tue May 29, 2007 3:19 pm

best : At football practice we were playing first to two goals wins. Somehow I managed on my own to get to the final. Our manager a scouse git called Pete. Said if I beat him and another lad Robbo he'd get the ale in for everyone all night. After going a goal down. I equalised proding home a tap in after the keeper could only parry it. From the restart I chased the kick off. With my back to goal the ball came over my right shoulder & I clipped it back over my head & Robbo's. I turned and ran after it.
Scouse Pete ran in to close me down I chipped it over his head. Managing to avoid his attempt to bring me down in the process. With Robbo hot on my heels as the ball came down i pinged it with my left foot, wrong un, It flew into the top corner just clipping the underside of the bar as it rattled the onion bag. A loud & long "Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" rang out
followed by a Mixu roll, or something like that.

The lads watching from the sidelines just dived on top me. Even Robbo joined in. I got up to see scouse pete still lying in the dirt, priceless. Think we racked up about 17 pitchers of ale later on, all on the scouse git. Pete never picked me in the starting 11 again after that but I always had the memory of that goal.

Worst: Fetching a ball at Burnden park. I kicked it back & it hit one of the safety barriers flew
back over my head and down the steps at the corner of the Paddock & Lever End. I had to go & fetch it in front of 10,000 highly amused Bolton & Sunderland fans. Oh the shame of it.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England