warrington

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Re: warrington

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 am

Bench wrote: Shit hole.

The local lingo is a cross between deep-Manc and deep-Scouse. T'aint pretty.
Speaking as a non-Warringtonian Warrington resident, that is just rubbish. I've got to stick up against that slur on my neighbours. It is nothing like either, nearer to Layabout than Thief, but a lot softer. The accent is actually pretty neutral.
Last edited by fatshaft on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 am

Leyther_Matt wrote: Last I heard (albeit from an Orford-based Leyther), Mr. Smiths had been shut down.
Nope, still going strong, luckily I'm too old to have ever been near the place, although my daughter has been to a couple of the school age night's, she's stopped now as it is full of chavs.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 am

Leyther_Matt wrote: Culcheth (or at least everywhere except Mee Brow) is the posh bit of Warrington (though not posh enough to be considered part of Leigh!)
There's a posh bit in Leigh? :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:01 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Rick Astley is from Culcheth, reason enough not to go
No he isn't. He's from Newton-le-Willows. Anyway, I have family from Daresbury, so that's my excuse for never visiting Warrington.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Wasn't Lewis Carroll the Vicar of Daresbury? Somewhere around there anyway.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Wasn't Lewis Carroll the Vicar of Daresbury? Somewhere around there anyway.
I couldn't be arsed looking it up, to be honest, Zulu. However, when a cousin was married in, and my own father's funeral was conducted in the achingly, quintessentially picturesque church at Daresbury, there was mention of Lewis Carroll on both occassions.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:17 am

The wife is from Widnes (next town over) and she absolutely despises Warrington - and having been there once to accompany here to the shops I can confirm that it's like a ghost town.

A ghost twon populated by http://chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=6396

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 am

Okay, let's calm down on the Warrington hate.

Warrington is a nice little town, like anywhere it has the chav wankers, but it's devoid of high rises and all the better for it. It's a bit dull perhaps, but compared to St.Helens, Widnes or Runcorn which it is surrounded by, it's the best choice by far to live in.

Would I rather be living in Scotland, undoubtedly, would I rather be in St.Helens, Widnes, Liverpool, Manchester, Runcorn or, yes Bolton, not a chance.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:51 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Wasn't Lewis Carroll the Vicar of Daresbury? Somewhere around there anyway.
Not certain if he was the Vicar, but he was born in the village, yeah.
There is a cracking old pub in Daresbury we've been to loads of times from work (it's just up the road), called the Ring O'Bells and there is all kinds of Alice in Wonderland memorabilia all over it. Pity that the landlord is a miserable get though.
Businesswoman of the year.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
There is a cracking old pub in Daresbury we've been to loads of times from work (it's just up the road), called the Ring O'Bells and there is all kinds of Alice in Wonderland memorabilia all over it. Pity that the landlord is a miserable get though.
Just looked it up. You're right CH. He was born in the vicarage, son of the vicar.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:43 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
LOL, only been there once, but that is so correct. Shame, becasue Warrington is short of pubs with good beer gardens, and this is definelty one of them.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:08 am

fatshaft wrote:Would I rather be living in Scotland, undoubtedly, would I rather be in St.Helens, Widnes, Liverpool, Manchester, Runcorn or, yes Bolton, not a chance.
I can understand not wanting to be in Smellens, Widnes, Runcorn or Bolton, but you're telling me you'd take Warrington over either Manchester or Liverpool? :lol:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:47 am

blurred wrote:
fatshaft wrote:Would I rather be living in Scotland, undoubtedly, would I rather be in St.Helens, Widnes, Liverpool, Manchester, Runcorn or, yes Bolton, not a chance.
I can understand not wanting to be in Smellens, Widnes, Runcorn or Bolton, but you're telling me you'd take Warrington over either Manchester or Liverpool? :lol:
Especially those two, who on earth would want to voluntarily live in Liverpool or Manchester? If I told anyone back home I'd moved to Liverpool, they'd think I'd gone bonkers.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:42 pm

fatshaft wrote:Especially those two, who on earth would want to voluntarily live in Liverpool or Manchester? If I told anyone back home I'd moved to Liverpool, they'd think I'd gone bonkers.
These are presumably people who've not seen the desolate wasteland that is Warrington? :D

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
Verbal wrote:I was in Culcheth once for about 12 hours at a house party. It was very big house and an ace party, but the home didn't make for pleasant viewing.
Culcheth (or at least everywhere except Mee Brow) is the posh bit of Warrington (though not posh enough to be considered part of Leigh!)

Used to go out in Warrington on a semi-regular basis a couple of years ago and it's a decent laugh for a few cheesy tunes and to basically get lashed - if you don't go looking for dickheads, then you probably won't find any.

Last I heard (albeit from an Orford-based Leyther), Mr. Smiths had been shut down.
Haha that just reminded me...my one and only time in Warrington (that night) I was waiting to be picked up at Warrington Bus Station to go to this party in Cucheth. Ended up waiting for half hour, but was entertained by a bunch by two guys getting out of the car and without skipping a beat beginning to kick the shit out of each other.

Interesting place.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:57 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote: Culcheth (or at least everywhere except Mee Brow) is the posh bit of Warrington (though not posh enough to be considered part of Leigh!)
There's a posh bit in Leigh? :shock:
Too bloody right there is! Good couple of £1m+ homes in Pennington, while I live in a pretty respectable area - like Warrington, and every other town in this country, there are the good bits and the bad bits. That is, apart from Widnes, which is a scum-infested shithole.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote: That is, apart from Widnes, which is a scum-infested shithole.
You've clearly never been to Southend-On-Sea.
Smarties have answers.....

wonka
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: warrington

Post by wonka » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:08 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Anyone around here live in Warrington, near Warrington, been to Warrington, know about lash ups in Warrington?

To me its just a train stop on the way to Liverpool and the home of Ikea, but were heading there after Chester races on Saturday for a blow out, i just wondered what it was like, if there are any recommendations or avoidances, any decent blart etc???
OK, so where did you end up going to then? I'm curious.

I live in Warrington and it's not too bad to be honest. Mind you, I grew up in Little Hulton and then Atherton, so anything's an improvement on those sh1t holes! :mrgreen:
... of course I may just be talking bo11ocks

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:43 pm

That is, apart from Widnes, which is a scum-infested shithole.

I found one nice street there, and one nice bar.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Batman wrote:
That is, apart from Widnes, which is a scum-infested shithole.

I found one nice street there, and one nice bar.
You never mentioned that you'd appeared in Two Pints of Lager... :wink: :oops: :roll: