Loss of expenses

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:16 pm

jaffka wrote:I think that there was a recent change in HM Custom rules that all expense claims had to be furnished with a relevant receipt. IIRC this rule change was due to EC law.
Which is bollocks if you park on a particular type of meter or cross a toll bridge (which I do, often). Some companies have an allowance for 'lost' receipts and things like unreceipted parking. Depends how much they will let you claim.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:33 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
jaffka wrote:I think that there was a recent change in HM Custom rules that all expense claims had to be furnished with a relevant receipt. IIRC this rule change was due to EC law.
Which is bollocks if you park on a particular type of meter or cross a toll bridge (which I do, often). Some companies have an allowance for 'lost' receipts and things like unreceipted parking. Depends how much they will let you claim.
The Inland Revenue take interest if it affects your tax (natch). So, if you get expenses paid as a backdoor route to income, that'll have them excited. A necessary expense, recompensed, is fine.

Ad hoc missing receipts wouldn't concern them at all. Only if it seemed to be a pattern.

The problem with missing receipts is that the Company, obviously, can't claim VAT back.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:10 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:It happens, Bruce

Trust me
Debit card, though? I buy the car fuel on my own Visa and then charge it back to the company at pence per mile. As such, Az claimed mi brass back fust!

What we're looking at here is the fella shelling out his own hard earned first off, with seemingly nowt by way of recourse! :conf:
but it's not just petrol people might have as an expense, food, train tickets, taxis for example. Taxis are a big one if you're in london, unless you're part of a company contract you'll be paying in cash and claiming back. And not everyone is lucky enough to have company credit cards either.

Most company expenses are paid for by the individual and claimed back with evidence of a receipt.
Yeah, mate. I'm aware of that. I used to have to do it like that myself once, flights, hotels and the full works. I was questioning the using of a debit card rather than a credit card. At least when I used my own card I could get the money back into the bank (as with the car fuel now) before they take it out (DSB's comments notwithstanding).
Also, whilst you're on, can I get a credit card under the terms of which I don't get charged for using it abroad?
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:26 pm

you mean no 2% etc - Nationwide fella, no overseas fee or conversion charge IIRC

On your credit/debit card thing, first I suppose it is all round the timing and whther you pay in full each month. Second, I'm going to take a punt that BBoris doesn't have a credit card.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:29 pm

The overseas charge is absolutely raping me at the moment. And the Dutch banks look at an international student wanting to set an account up for a year like you've just pissed through their letterboxes.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm

Use the internet

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:32 pm

Batman wrote:Use the internet
Will the cash come out of my CD drive?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Not unless you are on Vista

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:The overseas charge is absolutely raping me at the moment. And the Dutch banks look at an international student wanting to set an account up for a year like you've just pissed through their letterboxes.
well I suppose you don't tell them it's just for a year. Actually, they're not looking at you much different to an English bank would, you'd get very basic facilities if you're johnny foreigner over here studying.

Nationwide don't charge fees, but it doesn't make them hugely cheaper, we're talking maybe £2 on £100 in Euros. So for the odd holiday it's maybe neither here nor their but for a regular overseas traveller it could add up if you use cards quite a bit.

The thing is that buying foreign currency, you get a different exchange rate than with a card - a lower one, so while you get fees you're not far off the same overall cost.

now I'm not trying to take the piss, but this might work out your best option, faffing with Nationwide aside....

https://card.club18-30.com/?campaign=whichprepaid

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:44 pm

Batman wrote:Not unless you are on Vista
Wrong - that's when you insert £50 notes into your DVD drive! :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:13 pm

communistworkethic wrote:you mean no 2% etc - Nationwide fella, no overseas fee or conversion charge IIRC

On your credit/debit card thing, first I suppose it is all round the timing and whther you pay in full each month. Second, I'm going to take a punt that BBoris doesn't have a credit card.
I'll wait until I next see you, fella, fert thexplain propper. I pay off in full on the 1st of each month, but basically, if I take the car overseas then I put the fuel in on my own Barclaycard, and claim the money back as per the normal system. However, the problem is that I submit the fuel receipt as part of the 'money spent on fuel v business/private mileage calculation' then, when I get my bill through from Barclaycard they've thrown a few quid on because I've used my card overseas, as though it's in some way more chargeable to have connected with the relevant sattelite (sp?) from bleedin' Belgium than it is England? :conf:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:you mean no 2% etc - Nationwide fella, no overseas fee or conversion charge IIRC

I'll wait until I next see you, fella, fert thexplain propper. I pay off in full on the 1st of each month, but basically, if I take the car overseas then I put the fuel in on my own Barclaycard, and claim the money back as per the normal system. However, the problem is that I submit the fuel receipt as part of the 'money spent on fuel v business/private mileage calculation' then, when I get my bill through from Barclaycard they've thrown a few quid on because I've used my card overseas, as though it's in some way more chargeable to have connected with the relevant sattelite (sp?) from bleedin' Belgium than it is England? :conf:
I'll wait until I next see you, fella, fert thexplain propper :conf:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

basically it does cost more, banks in the uk charge each other for their customers using each others machines (ATM & POS) but they absorb that cost. Foreign banks charge UK banks for the availability of their networks but the cost is higher per unit transaction, some wrap it in the exhange rate others split it out as a fee.

And road, this'll save you some cash....

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/ ... efault.htm

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:35 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I'll wait until I next see you, fella, fert thexplain propper.
Yes, that probably reads to you like "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy." :?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:16 am

bobo the clown wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
The Inland Revenue take interest if it affects your tax (natch). So, if you get expenses paid as a backdoor route to income, that'll have them excited. A necessary expense, recompensed, is fine.

Ad hoc missing receipts wouldn't concern them at all. Only if it seemed to be a pattern.

The problem with missing receipts is that the Company, obviously, can't claim VAT back.
Aye. The fookers. Got me filling in stupid forms that I cant be arsed understanding.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I'll wait until I next see you, fella, fert thexplain propper.
Yes, that probably reads to you like "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy." :?
Usually followed by "On me ed son" :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?