Heavy snowfall

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:11 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Verbal wrote:In other news...apparently Boris Johnson has relinquished the congestion charge for today to combat the public transport disruption. Because that is what you need on icy roads, more cars. :crazy: f*cking plank.
First thing he did upon election was overturn the congestion extension. Second thing was to halt any possible crackdown on 4x4s. Third thing was banning alcohol on public transport. Cock.
So in other words, good stuff all round? What's the cock for?
In his case, for rubbing against his mistress.

You obviously don't live in London, me old china, and haven't seen the beneficial effects of the congestion charge. If you ever have a friend knocked down and killed by a tw*t in a 4x4, you'll feel different about that bit. And while I'm all in favour of reducing drunkenness on public transport, it would seem rather knee-jerk to introduce a blanket ban on any amount of alcohol.

That said, if you're in favour of legislative interventionism and think car drivers are unquestionably the salt of the earth, perhaps we can introduce an instant ban for speeding offences, to be picked up by speed cameras on every road, eh?

Fancy a snowball fight?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm

To be honest, the 'no drinking on public transport' thing seems merely a stunt - how the hell are the authorities meant to enforce it? I'm sure I read somewhere that no-one has actually been 'got' for this yet...which BJ construed as the ban being self-enforcing. I can tell you for fact that is claptrap.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Yes don't forget, by virtue of owning a car, drivers have a God-given right to be allowed to go where they want, when they want, not obey any laws and not pay any taxes.

Enjoy waiting six hours for the RAC tonight, petrolheads!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Anyways, back on topic (and it was me that dragged it off, for which I apologise). The BBC (and presumably other media outlets) have got the usual selection of "Your pictures" – note how they're almost all London. They should get a fair few sent in – I've seldom seen as many people wandering about with cameras. (I took some last night, under the sodium glare. Should look good. I might send them into this, one of my favourite sites...)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 pm

We've got an inch or two up here in the northeast - the buses and metro are still running, though. Bloody southern softies.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Heavy snowfall

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Verbal wrote:unless you're Monty, in which case the current downpour effecting London (and, on assumption, other areas) is more like a light coating.
Since I am Monty, I can confirm that the average snow storm here is about 30 cms - and we get some 8 of those a year. We would consider 10 cms or less a light dusting. I gather they are predicting 50 cms for the North East - even we would consider that quite a lot in one day. It normally takes me half an hour to drive to work, but can take double that after a heavy storm. I understand your pain....especially since you do not have snow tyres which make a great deal of difference. And we can look forward to another six weeks according to the groundhog.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Sucks living on the coast. Growing up in Lytham and now being in Liverpool, I've barely seen any all my life :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:27 pm

jimbo wrote:Sucks living on the coast. Growing up in Lytham and now being in Liverpool, I've barely seen any all my life :(
You're welcome to my share. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:31 pm

You seem to undergoing the Gore Effect, which is defined as "The phenomenon that leads to unseasonably cold temperatures, driving rain, hail, or snow whenever Al Gore visits an area to discuss global warming. Hence, the Gore Effect."
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Di Stefano
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Heavy snowfall

Post by Di Stefano » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Puskas wrote:
Yeah, but....

I go on the Northern Line. I know this is in the open in the Extreme North (Scotland or Finchley or somewhere), but is covered elsewhere.
So why is it not working fine elsewhere? Eh?

Pah. And pah again.
Isn't the depot at Morden open to the elements? And there must be a depot in the far North where the trains were stuck, so I reckon the line would have been running with not as many trains on it as usual. Add to those trains the 'bus commuters and bingo - full trains.

I'm rather glad the buses weren't running, it was rather scary having HGVs overtaking me (all, funnily enough, from Eastern Europe - mostly from ex-Yugoslavia too) but the thought of a bus sliding along and tipping over onto me was even more scary.

20cm of snow on the top of my car this morning too......

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Still really coming down my way! Ground almost covered again! Could be really really rough tomorrow...

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 pm

A white out in the Lancashire hills and snow falling again now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:(I took some last night, under the sodium glare. Should look good. I might send them into this, one of my favourite sites...)
cracking site DSB - duly bookmarked for further perusal....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:40 pm

thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:(I took some last night, under the sodium glare. Should look good. I might send them into this, one of my favourite sites...)
Isn't it good? A simple idea done well.

The urbanscapes are best, I think, of the unknown scruffy places rather than St Paul's and so on. They make a great screensaver option. Always provokes a response.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:
Isn't it good? A simple idea done well.

The urbanscapes are best, I think, of the unknown scruffy places rather than St Paul's and so on. They make a great screensaver option. Always provokes a response.
Agreed, great interesting site.
Check out the "Roadside Litter, Runcorn" they have on there (here).
That is taken round the corner from where I used to work - I remember the kids car, it was there for weeks. The picture is of the mess that the...erm...travellers left behind after they'd setup camp on a stretch of wasteland. Amazing how such an abhorrent mess can seem artlike when photographed properly. Brilliant.
Businesswoman of the year.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 pm

At last I get to have some fun in snow. It started sticking this afternoon and there's now a fair covering. Cue huge snowball fight! Get in!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Picture out of my bedroom window this morning: :mrgreen:

IF YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING, IT'S SNOWING TOO HARD.
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

It wasn't any funnier the second time, TD!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:It wasn't any funnier the second time, TD!
Yes it was spoilsport. :evil:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:It wasn't any funnier the second time, TD!
Yes it was spoilsport. :evil:
:D Ah, the power mods have - I cannot delete when someone else has subsequently posted, but you guys can do anything! :pray: