Society unprepared for Zombie attack, say scientists

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 am

William the White wrote:Mathematicians are much more daring than many (most?) writers/artists in their investigations and assertions... Tonight, on Coast, one asserted that, mathematically speaking, the length of britain's coast line is 'infinite'...

There is an argument that nothing is less factual than a mathematical 'fact'.

FACT!
Fractal geometry is fascinating. The infinite coastline only really applies if you assume that you can keep breaking it down forever. This is a nice introduction to the subject:
http://www.iemar.tuwien.ac.at/fractal_a ... ugged.html

So what's the argument that nothing is less factual than a mathematical fact, then?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:36 am

Puskas wrote:
jaffka wrote:Yeah, but, Puskas, who would win zombies or umans??? :conf:
Zombies. Obviously.

See, for example, Night of the living dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters, etc, etc for instances as to how it pans out.
I dunno what about Return of the Living Dead - they all got nuked. Return of the Living Dead Part 2 - they all got electrocuted.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:37 am

Talking of physical geometry, these beautiful little books are rather good if anyone's looking for a primer on symmetry/patterns/fractals etc.

FACT!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symmetry-Orderi ... 1904263518

I don't think there's one on zombies yet.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:51 am

I started to read about fractal geometry. Please send out a search party.

Edit. If I'm honest geometry is absolutley fascinating in design and art. Used to have a link ( lost it now) to a site on Sacred Geometry in the art of the old masters, showing just how many times the geometrical rules applied in works by artsist like Pouison, Ver Meer etc. There's also the geometrical aspect in Moorish design. The Alhambra Palace is a wonderland of amazing fresco and tile work all based around geometrical shapes. Freemasonry also has its history based on geometry and there's some fascinating stuff in there. Never been very good with maths, but if I had my time to come again I'd study them
alongside geometry.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:49 pm

They are right you know!! the zombies are on every street corner every night wearing hoods, does this mean we can shoot um at will? :mrgreen:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:55 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Puskas wrote:
jaffka wrote:Yeah, but, Puskas, who would win zombies or umans??? :conf:
Zombies. Obviously.

See, for example, Night of the living dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters, etc, etc for instances as to how it pans out.
I dunno what about Return of the Living Dead - they all got nuked. Return of the Living Dead Part 2 - they all got electrocuted.
Ah, but Return of the Living Dead involved them being contained before it broke out more widely, and killing everyone, not just the zombies. An extreme solution, and one that needs to be implemented quickly. And even then, there were those other cannisters of that stuff....

I watched Return of the Living Dead Part 2 about 15 years ago, and, tbh, can't remember anything at all about it. And wasn't part3 set in a high-school, with no real connection to the previous two - or am I imagining that?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Well in 2 they found them cannisters again and it pretty much did the same as the first one with no nukes. I think they realised that was a little extreme so just got them to stand in some water then electrocuted them.

I didnt know they'd made a 3rd! I must see this.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:03 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Well in 2 they found them cannisters again and it pretty much did the same as the first one with no nukes. I think they realised that was a little extreme so just got them to stand in some water then electrocuted them.

I didnt know they'd made a 3rd! I must see this.
Here you are:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107953/

It was while back when I saw it. And I was probably drunk...

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Oh right. I have seen that. Cant remember it though. Who wins?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:14 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Oh right. I have seen that. Cant remember it though. Who wins?
Can't remember, either.

It was clearly that good.

My guess, though, is that they'll think they've got rid of the zombies, but there's something they've missed. Just a hunch...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Puskas wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Oh right. I have seen that. Cant remember it though. Who wins?
Can't remember, either.

It was clearly that good.

My guess, though, is that they'll think they've got rid of the zombies, but there's something they've missed. Just a hunch...
Aye all the maths folk! :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Verbal wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Please tell me that isn't a real word?
It's a book, tis all I know.
Interesting book too. Recommended, only economics book I've come remotely close to finishing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Interesting book too. Recommended, only economics book I've come remotely close to finishing.
Prufrock, have you tried The Tiger That isn't?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Prufrock, have you tried The Tiger That isn't?
Nope, never even heard of it, any good?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Very. Whack it in Google and read the reviews.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 am

I dunno. I think the zombies would have it in the bag. Look at the spread of swine. We couldn't contain something that got up and walked around.

World War Z is a great book for anyone interested. A nice 'serious' attempt at a zombie outbreak, and better than that article :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:50 am

Jakerbeef wrote:I dunno. I think the zombies would have it in the bag. Look at the spread of swine. We couldn't contain something that got up and walked around.

World War Z is a great book for anyone interested. A nice 'serious' attempt at a zombie outbreak, and better than that article :mrgreen:
Film of that is currently in production.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I wonder how much that cost the Canadian tax payers!
Not as much as it does for Monty to be on here. :wink:
I think it probably cost a bit more, though I may ask for a raise. There were eyebrows raised here when the original grant was given out, but Puskas is basically correct IMHO. As for Smith? this is odd only in the normal world. After over forty years of working at the university I have to conclude that the large majority of mathematicians are not normal people. They say, in all seriousness, that if there three people in a room and five of them leave, two more must come in before it is empty. How can you tell an extrovert mathematician? He looks at your feet when he is talking to you. Etc. They are an odd bunch. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

senorjoeyo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by senorjoeyo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think it probably cost a bit more, though I may ask for a raise. There were eyebrows raised here when the original grant was given out, but Puskas is basically correct IMHO. As for Smith? this is odd only in the normal world. After over forty years of working at the university I have to conclude that the large majority of mathematicians are not normal people. They say, in all seriousness, that if there three people in a room and five of them leave, two more must come in before it is empty. How can you tell an extrovert mathematician? He looks at your feet when he is talking to you. Etc. They are an odd bunch. :wink:
Oi leave us alone :whack:
On a completeley unrelated topic I'm considering changing my name to Joe!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 pm

senorjoeyo wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Oi leave us alone :whack:
On a completeley unrelated topic I'm considering changing my name to Joe!
Nothing personal, joeyo!?! :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.