A Level results...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:20 pm

William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:In what?
English Language, Law and Government & Politics.

Going to study English Language and Creative Writing.
Huge congrats...

I went to Lancaster - had a great time.

And I know a recent graduate who combined Eng Lit with Creative Writing there - and he loved it.

My daughter got 3 As and a B today. (V proud dad, here!). She goes to Bath Spa to study Art and Creative Writing in 2010, after a year doing an Art Foundation Dip. we're having a good day... :D

Sorry nothing personal here but......
What job will she be looking for with a degree in Art and Creative Writing ????
Please dont get me wrong, I wish her all the luck in the world but........
Does she want to be a Teacher ????
Not exactly qualifications for todays job market.
Again please dont take offense, just an observation.
:conf:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:29 pm

davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:

Huge congrats...

And I know a recent graduate who combined Eng Lit with Creative Writing there - and he loved it.

My daughter got 3 As and a B today. (V proud dad, here!). She goes to Bath Spa to study Art and Creative Writing in 2010, after a year doing an Art Foundation Dip. we're having a good day... :D

Knowing her father, she might well be taking up the family baton....

Actually, I'll try again, making sure it doesn't sound like a quadruple entendre....

Knowing her father, she might well be following in her father's shoes of playwright - valuing creativity over job security, and all that.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:43 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:

Huge congrats...

Knowing her father, she might well be taking up the family baton....

Actually, I'll try again, making sure it doesn't sound like a quadruple entendre....

Knowing her father, she might well be following in her father's shoes of playwright - valuing creativity over job security, and all that.
Ah, was just going to say she might want to be an artist or a writer. Same idea.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Thing is with Degrees and qualifications nowadays, is that Employers don't look at what you've learned, they just want to make sure candidates are switched on and able to complete varying tasks etc..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:55 pm

davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:

Huge congrats...

You're not supposed to do a degree with job skills. That's not the point. It's supposed to be about educationg yourself further, opening your mind, and becoming self sufficient. Too many people doing vocational degrees like bloody tourism. Only two vocational degrees I can think of that are even worth doing are Medicine and Law. I do Classics, Latin and Ancient Greek, two languages that between them, only a bunch of crusty old buggers in the Vatican speak. Seeing as somehow, somehow, I don't think I'm in line to become pope, my degree would seem useless, 'cept it's not, it has the highest employment rate of all non-vocational degrees for instance. It's about doing a good degree, from a good uni, in no matter what. Now I must confess complete ignorance to the merits of both the degree and the university here, but to dismiss it because it doesn't teach 'job skills' is to miss the point.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:

Huge congrats...

You're not supposed to do a degree with job skills. That's not the point. It's supposed to be about educationg yourself further, opening your mind, and becoming self sufficient. Too many people doing vocational degrees like bloody tourism. Only two vocational degrees I can think of that are even worth doing are Medicine and Law. I do Classics, Latin and Ancient Greek, two languages that between them, only a bunch of crusty old buggers in the Vatican speak. Seeing as somehow, somehow, I don't think I'm in line to become pope, my degree would seem useless, 'cept it's not, it has the highest employment rate of all non-vocational degrees for instance. It's about doing a good degree, from a good uni, in no matter what. Now I must confess complete ignorance to the merits of both the degree and the university here, but to dismiss it because it doesn't teach 'job skills' is to miss the point.
PGCE.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:36 pm

I did a vocational degree and turned out fine...neither of those mentioned either!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:45 pm

As I said, just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more as well, but doing a degree BECAUSE it's vocational is missing the point completely.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:As I said, just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more as well, but doing a degree BECAUSE it's vocational is missing the point completely.
Fair enough. My indignant side wanted to jump all over your post, I did try and stop myself! :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:46 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote: English Language, Law and Government & Politics.

Huge congrats...

PGCE.
Is that a degree in itself? I thought it was a post grad thing to become a teacher, like a law conversion course kindathingy?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:53 pm

It is a Postgrad thing, but I thought that it was still pertinent to the discussion. And there are Education and Teaching degrees, especially for Primary School teaching. Which is a much, much more instinctive skill than anything any place of education can offer. And yes, I can see the irony in that statement. Call it learning through experience. Show me a place that can teach people how to get every five year old in the country to liten to you for an hour ata time and I'll show you the puppy, firework and candy factory.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Show me a place that can teach people how to get every five year old in the country to liten to you for an hour ata time
Blimey, there really is a problem with class sizes these days...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:47 pm

davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:

Huge congrats...

Absolutely no offence taken.

My first degree is in history, with a philosophy minor.

I'm not now, nor have I ever been a historian or philosopher. Very few graduates of history become historians. that's not what degrees in the arts and humanities do. English lit graduates rarely become professional literary critics.

In terms of my daughter's employment prospects, well that is, at least in part, up to her, and she is asking similar questions of herself. But I'm pretty sure that we are in a world where creativity, inspiration, self motivation and reliance, articulacy, writing skills, communication skills and confidence are of growing importance. And she's in with a chance of developing those with the degree she's chosen.

She is doing an unusual course - one on offer in only six universities in the country. She had an offer from a university of significantly higher academic status than bath spa, and achieved that offer with room to spare - and had the confidence to turn it down and select Bath because the course more closely fitted what she wanted to study and the way she wanted to study it.

I like that confidence and the willingness to make a choice that some would find counter-intuitive. I like most that she does it with real thought.

sorry to be a proud dad ranting on - but, hey, you did ask... :wink:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:49 pm

William the White wrote:
davroduk wrote:
William the White wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:

Huge congrats...

Absolutely no offence taken.

My first degree is in history, with a philosophy minor.

I'm not now, nor have I ever been a historian or philosopher. Very few graduates of history become historians. that's not what degrees in the arts and humanities do. English lit graduates rarely become professional literary critics.

In terms of my daughter's employment prospects, well that is, at least in part, up to her, and she is asking similar questions of herself. But I'm pretty sure that we are in a world where creativity, inspiration, self motivation and reliance, articulacy, writing skills, communication skills and confidence are of growing importance. And she's in with a chance of developing those with the degree she's chosen.

She is doing an unusual course - one on offer in only six universities in the country. She had an offer from a university of significantly higher academic status than bath spa, and achieved that offer with room to spare - and had the confidence to turn it down and select Bath because the course more closely fitted what she wanted to study and the way she wanted to study it.

I like that confidence and the willingness to make a choice that some would find counter-intuitive. I like most that she does it with real thought.

sorry to be a proud dad ranting on - but, hey, you did ask... :wink:
No it's not. Is she a celebrity? Has she been on a reality show yet? If not, she's naffink. Ever.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:12 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: No it's not. Is she a celebrity? Has she been on a reality show yet? If not, she's naffink. Ever.
Aye, I suppose the supreme accolade of being on "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" is the ultimate achievement that supercedes all others these days. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: No it's not. Is she a celebrity? Has she been on a reality show yet? If not, she's naffink. Ever.
Aye, I suppose the supreme accolade of being on "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" is the ultimate achievement that supercedes all others these days. :wink:
And we'll all watch the progress of the keebaabling with great interest... :wink:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 am

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
And we'll all watch the progress of the keebaabling with great interest... :wink:
Kebabling's past it now. She's 2 1/2.