What a load of tosh

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:48 pm

ratbert wrote:What official merchandise can you get? Pope on a Rope?
Pope-a-dope
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:51 pm

ratbert wrote:What official merchandise can you get? Pope on a Rope?
as featured in the angry thread...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:54 pm

actually, some of it is quite good this year...

(Tango bought one of these.. :wink: )

and a thousand more here.... http://www.b3ta.com/challenge/pope/page2

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm

oh that Holy Spirit one made me giggle...!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:20 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Winter Hill White wrote:Is one of his roles the Head of State of the Vatican?
If so, I suppose it counts as a state visit, hence follows whatever happens were (subjunctive, Monty?) Obama, Kim Jong-Il, Sarkozy, etc to come here.
This.. Vatican City is a country in it's own right. He's the leader of it
As if there's the slightest chance he is here with anything to do with head of state of the Vatican-ness. He's hardly sitting down discussing trade agreements is he?

Out of interest what is the objection to him coming here? Is it his refusal, still, to give up the names and locations of child abusers? If so I can sympathise with that. I'm not sure I have any objection at all to him visiting in principle though, there's catholics in this country who want to see him, so fair enough, I do have an issue with us paying for it though. Similarly I have an issue with his cardinals spouting bigotry and bollocks on the eve of said visit and not being forced to apologise. All in all though, I'm not that bothered either way about it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Those pillow covers give me the creeps just looking at them.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:08 pm

I've a couple of Pope tarts for supper please! :D

Come on guys the church hiding sleeze bag peodo's is enough to make anyone sick. If he wants to be seen as head of a good religous sect surely they most be cast to the depths of hell he should be prosecuted for aiding criminal acts or something like that if he doesn't cough up the names and what the sect knows of these vile crimes.

Religion stinks, politics pongs but religion really stinks!!

Planet Hoboh will ban religion and churches, hang all peodos and use all the cash in the vatican bank and the shares held by the C of E to pay off the national debt then the health service can be properly run after the cull of all managers and layabouts and jobs worths it currently employs.
We will burn effigys of Harriet instead of poor owd Guy on Nov the 5th and all beer will be free at weekends, sound good? join up!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Nothing says faith in god like 4inch thick bullet-proof glass.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nothing says faith in god like 4inch thick bullet-proof glass.
you think he's worried God will shoot him? 8)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 pm

thebish wrote:
Dunno, is there nothing in the bible about not protecting nonces? There probably should be. Coz he must be able to do something. God, that is.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 pm

thebish wrote:
Doubt it otherwise a 4inch thick bullet proof glass is a bit over spec'd for locusts, frogs and flies.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Dunno, is there nothing in the bible about not protecting nonces? There probably should be. Coz he must be able to do something. God, that is.
bad people do bad things... bad people cover up the stuff that bad people do... God doesn't seem to favour the sniper rifle though... (and if he did - I see the pope hasn't put a bullet-proof roof on - which may be an oversight if God is shooting from above...

I believe the bullet-proof glass dates from the shooting of Pope JPII in the early 1980s - he survived 4 bullets I think...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
bad people do bad things... bad people cover up the stuff that bad people do... God doesn't seem to favour the sniper rifle though... (and if he did - I see the pope hasn't put a bullet-proof roof on - which may be an oversight if God is shooting from above...

I believe the bullet-proof glass dates from the shooting of Pope JPII in the early 1980s - he survived 4 bullets I think...

:mrgreen: Isn't god supposedly 'everywhere' anyway, so all in all if he wants to get you, you're pretty f*cked. Unless he's distracted working on that boulder he can't lift.

Overall though, aren't we allowed to object to the state-visit of somebody who protects paedophiles, states that condoms help spread AIDS, opposes gay rights, and comes here on a state visit part funded by taxpayers as the head of a state which is a state despite not meeting the criteria of the Montevideo Convention, but rather coz they declared they were on God's say-so? You've mentioned Pinochet and Mugabe already, I'm fairly sure there would have been objections to their visits, and certainly would be if they came again (bit difficult for the General I accept). Surely it's just free speech and all?

That said I do take your point that it is misleading to present this petition without pointing out their links to the BHA, but that's the paper, not the signatories.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Prufrock wrote: Overall though, aren't we allowed to object to the state-visit of somebody who protects paedophiles, states that condoms help spread AIDS, opposes gay rights, and comes here on a state visit part funded by taxpayers as the head of a state which is a state despite not meeting the criteria of the Montevideo Convention, but rather coz they declared they were on God's say-so? You've mentioned Pinochet and Mugabe already, I'm fairly sure there would have been objections to their visits, and certainly would be if they came again (bit difficult for the General I accept). Surely it's just free speech and all?

That said I do take your point that it is misleading to present this petition without pointing out their links to the BHA, but that's the paper, not the signatories.

yes - we are allowed to object - I object - I think the pope is an odious man. I haven't criticised anyone for objecting have I?

if you are all writing and are linked to a campaign group run jointly by the BHA and the NSA called "Protest the Pope" - then you should be honest enough to say so in your letter - which they do not.

it is not national news that 50 members of the Protest the Pope campaign are protesting about the pope's visit. It doesn't invalidate their arguments or their protest - but it is dishonest.

as i said - a similar letter signed by 50 catholic priests supporting his visit would not be national news

there was a similar story last year where a group of scientists wrote a letter arguing that the Labour policies best supported science. Only only for it later to emerge that they were all members of "Scientists for Labour". that's dishonest.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:30 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote: Overall though, aren't we allowed to object to the state-visit of somebody who protects paedophiles, states that condoms help spread AIDS, opposes gay rights, and comes here on a state visit part funded by taxpayers as the head of a state which is a state despite not meeting the criteria of the Montevideo Convention, but rather coz they declared they were on God's say-so? You've mentioned Pinochet and Mugabe already, I'm fairly sure there would have been objections to their visits, and certainly would be if they came again (bit difficult for the General I accept). Surely it's just free speech and all?

yes - we are allowed to object - I object - I think the pope is an odious man. I haven't criticised anyone for objecting have I?

if you are all writing and are linked to a campaign group run jointly by the BHA and the NSA called "Protest the Pope" - then you should be honest enough to say so in your letter - which they do not.

it is not national news that 50 members of the Protest the Pope campaign are protesting about the pope's visit. It doesn't invalidate their arguments or their protest - but it is dishonest.

as i said - a similar letter signed by 50 catholic priests supporting his visit would not be national news

there was a similar story last year where a group of scientists wrote a letter arguing that the Labour policies best supported science. Only only for it later to emerge that they were all members of "Scientists for Labour". that's dishonest.
I think I agree with you regarding the dishonesty of the media, though I disagree that it 'isn't news'. Support is less newsworthy than complaints. It's the principle why Ofcom receives more complaints than it does letters of support, and why we don't turn on the news to hear stories of how 'no troops were killed today in Afghanistan'. Where 50 Catholic priests to protest an issue I do think it would be national news, though perhaps not in the same publication, but then the idea that newspapers are not mouthpieces for opinions, and remain neutral is outdated, if it ever truly was the case. That said the two examples you quote do strike me as dishonest.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:I've a couple of Pope tarts for supper please! :D

Come on guys the church hiding sleeze bag peodo's is enough to make anyone sick. If he wants to be seen as head of a good religous sect surely they most be cast to the depths of hell he should be prosecuted for aiding criminal acts or something like that if he doesn't cough up the names and what the sect knows of these vile crimes.

Religion stinks, politics pongs but religion really stinks!!

Planet Hoboh will ban religion and churches, hang all peodos and use all the cash in the vatican bank and the shares held by the C of E to pay off the national debt then the health service can be properly run after the cull of all managers and layabouts and jobs worths it currently employs.
We will burn effigys of Harriet instead of poor owd Guy on Nov the 5th and all beer will be free at weekends, sound good? join up!
The Tories new line is that they are "willing to do god". If you renounce them for all eternity, you've found yourself a disciple. Our paths have miraculously converged.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 pm

what's a peodo?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Knock off swimming trunks?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:21 am

I bizarrely read it as peonies.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:18 am

Oi Pru knocking the church is one thing, its full of humans, be very carefull with the God bit mate.

Post as top minster for you LK, alongside Worthy. :mrgreen: